> Hello., New user.
Symm 
Posted: 09-Aug-2015, 08:15 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacRowan

male

Hello. Enjoyed the radio station, and then it wanted some membership fees. Figured i would give it a month. Probably just gonna pay for the year anyways.

How are the rest of you?

--------------------
~Love and Peace~

~Sy Moireibh MacAoidh~

,,,,..... Greedo shot first.
PMEmail Poster               
munchkin5450 
Posted: 10-Aug-2015, 06:38 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Palatine, IL

female

I think you'll really like it here once you give it a try. The people are friendly and there is a lot of information to be found..........not to mention the wonderful music. Hope you decide to make this a must have location on your computer!
PMEmail Poster               
Duchess 
Posted: 10-Aug-2015, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Welcome! I`m new here as well. It`s been a great group thus far. Good people, good music.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
lgreaseman 
  Posted: 10-Aug-2015, 07:13 PM
Quote Post

Irishpipedad
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Philadelphia, PA

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #63
409,532 Gold!

Clan: AWARE

Welcome Symm...glad to have you aboard. It is a very nice place with enjoyable people. There is plenty to do and talk about and as in life, you get out of this what you put into it!

Hank
PMEmail Poster               
Skinner 
Posted: 11-Aug-2015, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: southwest ohio

male

Hello and welcome Symm. The more you poke around this site the more good and interesting things you'll find. As Hank said you will get out this what you put in. As for me it's hard to think of twenty five dollars that gave me as much enjoyment.

Skinner
PMEmail Poster               
lgreaseman 
  Posted: 12-Aug-2015, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

Irishpipedad
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #63
409,532 Gold!

You know...I must say that it saddens me a bit. I keep looking at all of the discussion in the Forum and other than this and maybe another, no posts!?!?! I mean there are years of archive stuff still listed, but few people posting now!? I am sure there are people reading the stuff...why not leave a comment? I love to hear from people and try my best to answer all back. So that begs the question how do we get people involved? I understand that problems is evident everywhere in our lives. Anyone who has been involved or a leader of something, understand that motivational issues are always a key to success! I just feel that you have a great radio and website which offers everyone a lot and so many are just window shopping/ Sorry to rant in the introduction section, but it is the only placing getting any action!
PMEmail Poster               
Skinner 
Posted: 12-Aug-2015, 11:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: southwest ohio

male

Well put! Hank your post echoes my thoughts completely. It's as people are reluctant to engage in meaningful or kindly dialogue. This is such a lighthearted site and forum that I'm delighted when I see members converse with each other.

Skinner
PMEmail Poster               
Symm 
Posted: 16-Aug-2015, 12:22 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

male

Thank you everyone for your replies. Sorry that i didn't get back to you all sooner. I just got a Raspberry Pi, and have been having fun with that.

It's up and running now, after ruining the Raspbian OS a couple times... Lol.

Used it last night to show my mother the radio.

A little neat info about me i guess i could share is that i am related to Reids, Robertsons via Reid, Crawfords via my mothers father being a crawford, and Lougheed as well, i think because of my great grandmother. My father gives the MacKay branch, and some Ukrainian as well from his mothers side. There are also step relations on my mothers side to Gold, and Martin.

From my mothers side i get the middle name John for sure. Murray possible as well. My first and last name come from my fathers side i guess. Last for sure. But my first name was just chosen by my father. I have no idea as to any relation namesake wise. I have been told that it may have been my great grandfathers name on his side. But no one knows for sure, since we don't talk to my father much.

Which is why i am here. Genealogy. And music among other things, but Gene's brought me here first.

Anyways, don't feel rejected if i don't reply right away all the time. I work early morning shifts at 1am in the morning. If you are on at that time, drop me a line, and maybe i will see it. Internet is slow and capped, so i might not be on, but you are welcome to try. When i get home, i am typically sleeping, or busy. If neither, then you might find me here.

Anyways, i have been learning a lot. Both with the Raspberry Pi, and my family history.

Apparently for instance, McCoy's are a sept of MacKay. Given if this is true, then i would have had to have helped the McCoys or even fought against Hatfields down in the southern states.

Which brings to bear a question i would like answered, if anyone can shed light on it.

How far does family ties go? Or rather i should ask. Who the Hell am i NOT related too...?

Between all the family names that i am attached to via immediate family... It makes going out with a red head a risky business... and i like red heads....
PMEmail Poster               
munchkin5450 
Posted: 17-Aug-2015, 07:11 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Palatine, IL

female

Love the humor, Symm......just remember that not all redheads are "natural" redheads! In fact, I'd venture to say most so don't shy away.. tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
lgreaseman 
  Posted: 17-Aug-2015, 09:34 AM
Quote Post

Irishpipedad
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #63
409,532 Gold!

Truth be told Symm once you start digging your find out just small the world is. I remember when I was young and dating, my mother and grandmother would warn me about all of the family gene pool that I had to watch out for. Distance cousin who I might end up dating or meeting. (this happened after I came home as freshman and announced my first crush, only to find out she was a cousin!)
I remember as kids all the stories our parents, especially my father would tell of our family and it's descendants. My cousin is Warren Austin who was a famous Statesman and the First US Ambassador to the UN. I have another relative who is supposed to be a famous General from the Civil War and of course there is always the alleged ties to Capt. James Lawrence of the "don't give up the ship" fame.
My father(the Irish side) and his family is from New England and New York and now live in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, California, Arizona. My mother's Scotch/Irish are mainly New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
So yes opportunity abounds for connections that you are unaware of!!
PMEmail Poster               
Symm 
Posted: 18-Aug-2015, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (munchkin5450 @ 17-Aug-2015, 08:11 AM)
Love the humor, Symm......just remember that not all redheads are "natural" redheads! In fact, I'd venture to say most so don't shy away.. tongue.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Truth be told Symm once you start digging your find out just small the world is. I remember when I was young and dating, my mother and grandmother would warn me about all of the family gene pool that I had to watch out for. Distance cousin who I might end up dating or meeting. (this happened after I came home as freshman and announced my first crush, only to find out she was a cousin!)
I remember as kids all the stories our parents, especially my father would tell of our family and it's descendants. My cousin is Warren Austin who was a famous Statesman and the First US Ambassador to the UN. I have another relative who is supposed to be a famous General from the Civil War and of course there is always the alleged ties to Capt. James Lawrence of the "don't give up the ship" fame.
My father(the Irish side) and his family is from New England and New York and now live in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, California, Arizona. My mother's Scotch/Irish are mainly New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
So yes opportunity abounds for connections that you are unaware of!!

Thanks. Well, sad to say, but I might have to forgo a local redhead, because i just found out that there might be a relation..... Somewhere along the line i might be related to Sellar's. Dammit.

Not quite sure how though. Gonna have to actually start taking notes. Up till now i have just been reading and memorizing. After some of the recent discoveries though...

Might be time to get a few binders.

As for relations in general, not just dating wise.

I am finding out i have some family.... that is extraordinarily famous. Unless what i read is mistaken.

I am willing to share, but i need to get some parts straight first. Also, you need to promise not to call me crazy, because one that i came across makes me even wonder if i would be crazy for checking out the details at all.

We all have rather famous family members somewhere in the world, at some time in the world i would suspect. But what i came across, if true, trounces the more recent family members i came across in the history books.

The short list of famous people so far is this.

William Wallace Via Crawford blood.

MacBeth. (The very same.) Somewhere in with the MacKays and Reids/robertsons i think, without double checking.

St. Margaret and possibly St. Martin as well.

Peter Lougheed (More recent in history, was premier of Alberta in Canada.)

And 2 others, which if you want to know, i will share, but i don't actively mention it, as there is no way to prove it for sure... and quite frankly, it's kind of a big one to swallow in comparison to Great Grandpas Willy and MacBeth.

Quite frankly, after coming across this one, i wouldn't be surprised if i am directly related to the Queen herself.... And not in the same way that most British can claim a small relation. Seriously. This is getting creepy.

Oh, and before i forget, My mom also has relations to Paisleys.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 25-Aug-2015, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #75
217,384 Gold!

Welcome Symm! So nice to read about all of your family history. You might be interested in an article we did about the Crawford Family from Crawford Notch in NH. We visit the site often in our travels to the north country.

http://www.celticradio.net/php/news.php?item=1017

We SOOO appreciate those that signed up for a Celtic Radio Founder's account. This site would not run without founder's support simply as that. Everything including the website, broadcasts, music, etc. all need financial support which our founder's provide.

And you don't necessary need to be a founder forever, we appreciate even 1 month or 1 year. There are plenty of people that listen.

What you get are songs that you just may not hear anywhere else. A bunch of friendly people to chat with and something to do late at night when you can not sleep.

So thank you for joining and being a part of Celtic Radio. Much appreciated!

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Symm 
Posted: 30-Aug-2015, 12:46 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (CelticRadio @ 25-Aug-2015, 10:03 PM)
Welcome Symm! So nice to read about all of your family history. You might be interested in an article we did about the Crawford Family from Crawford Notch in NH. We visit the site often in our travels to the north country. http://www.celticradio.net/php/news.php?item=1017 We SOOO appreciate those that signed up for a Celtic Radio Founder's account. This site would not run without founder's support simply as that. Everything including the website, broadcasts, music, etc. all need financial support which our founder's provide. And you don't necessary need to be a founder forever, we appreciate even 1 month or 1 year. There are plenty of people that listen. What you get are songs that you just may not hear anywhere else. A bunch of friendly people to chat with and something to do late at night when you can not sleep. So thank you for joining and being a part of Celtic Radio. Much appreciated!

Thank you kindly, and thanks for the link. I will be keeping it with the rest. Just talked to my grandmother on my mothers side recently. Learned a few things that have helped straighten out a few things.

For anyone else reading interested doesn't mind reading me go on more about what i have been learning, keep reading. Otherwise i understand if you don't want to read that much text. I write a lot. Sorry in advance.

So, first off, i will get into the Paisely roots a bit. Found out some info on that, and the Crawford link as well. MacKays are still a stand still, but since i found out that my link goes back to possibly ancient Moray and even the far north area of i think... Tongue?... (There is a castle near by.) I have decided to start using my writers signature with some changes to it. You can see it at the bottom. Feel free to comment on it. I will be using it from now on as a sig. Personally, i like it. It emphasises the family history i think. I just don't want to seem... is pretentious the right word? Either way, it's what i imagine what my name would be if it weren't all Anglicized. Sy is just initials for my first and middle name. I am sure some of you can figure out the rest. Those who want further explanation, feel free to ask.

My great-grandmother on my mothers side is a paisely. That's the Irish influence. Otherwise, we are Reids from my great grandfather, my G.Grandmothers husband, and Crawfords from my grandmothers first husband, who fathered my mother. Apparently he is a bit of a pariah in the family. So even mentioning him here is a kind of a no-no... But as i explained to grandma, when it comes to family tree's, blood is blood, regardless of how much a despicable person they are.

So there it is. That's my mothers side. Still not quite sure where Lougheed comes from, but it's in there as well. There are many steps in the family as well, so it could be from there. Gold/Martin are as well, from my grandmothers days. As one could suspect, the family is kind of a mosaic. If i were to branch out all the half blood or lesser branches, it would be a wide spread web.

Mackay all being from my fathers side, is Scottish.

Oh, and according to my Grandmother, Her side of the Reid family came from Glasgow if i understood her properly. The phone connection was kind of bad.

But as for MacKay, when i asked her about that, as she remembers some things my mother doesn't, Inverness sounds about right she said. Maybe further north. She told me that if i wanted to figure out that long branch of chaos, that i would need to talk to more immediate mackay family members that can be found/contacted.

I got a few first names too. For both sides. One though, we can't be sure on, because of how Ukranians were back in the day about names....Culture things...Not quite sure on the facts about it, but apparently Olga is more preferable than something Gypsy sounding like Aurora or Aura.

But anyways. Thanks for the replies, and as i learn more i will share it, both for others possible benefit, and my own of course. If anyone reading this thinks there might be a possible link between us, feel free to drop me a line. I would love to figure it out.

~Love and Peace~

Sy Moireibh MacAoidh.

PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 31-Aug-2015, 04:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Howdy to you, Symm, from the great Navajo Nation in Northern Arizona! Don't know how I missed your original post, but I have enjoyed reading all you have had to say! Hope you are enjoying the site and the unique group of folks that inhabit these forums. Hope to continue seeing you post.

Welcome aboard and have a great day!!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Symm 
Posted: 31-Aug-2015, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

male

Thanks for the reply there Haynes9, and i do enjoy it here. It has thus far been a nice place to figure out things while i learn more about the family roots.

Speaking of which, and I typically don't mention this, because it is such a weak connection, possibly on both sides of the family, but seeing as how you, of all kinds and types of people replied, i might as well shed light on it as well. Especially considering the topic.

Somewhere in my grandmothers line i have a native grandmother. Canadian native. Not quite sure which group to be completely honest, and because of how life and death works, i may never find out. As i understand from what my mother knows, if i remember correctly, she was my great, great, great grandmother, maybe my mother's GGG grandmother. So, all direct relatives are definitely not with us anymore.

Alberta region is all i have to go on really, as apparently my mothers side came straight across to Alberta as fast as possible. As such, the likely hood of her being from Alberta is quite high. She could possibly be from BC/Yukon/NWT/Sask, since the are bordering neighbors. Maybe even from somewhere else entirely, but likely Alberta. (My mother side of the family has this huge hard on for Alberta. It's kind of hilarious. The ones who don't live in Alberta, take off to BC, or sometimes like my mom did, Sask. Turns out i have a bunch of rich relatives i never knew anything about in BC.)

Funnily enough, while on this topic. You are in Arizona huh? I cannot be completely sure, but i think there is a major river going practically straight down through the Rockies into Arizona territory. I mention this, because even odder, is the place i want to move to in BC eventually, is situated right near the tip of that river in BC. If anyone ever wants to find me in the real world someday in about 10 years. Go look near Celtic peak, BC. Was originally looking at a place closer to Mt.Thompson, but then i noticed Celtic peak. Thinking of maybe making a new trail in BC. But that's another discussion.

Here is a link to google maps. https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Celtic+Pea...ffa89222456a2b7 It should show Celtic peak, and that large river to the south of it is the one i speak of. Go ahead and peruse that river. Might take a bit of portaging in a couple spots, but otherwise, it goes straight down to U.S.A.

So i guess in an odd way, Howdy future river neighbor. (I am not kidding. I checked google maps for this river. It goes pretty far down into the states.) A person could possibly use it to travel into the states, though border control probably wouldn't like it that much without the proper procedures being followed.

Anyways, thanks again for the welcome, and last but not least. Because of that native blood (according to my mother), I tan, where others would burn. But the connection must be getting weak, because not all my siblings have the same trait. My mom theorizes that there might be some native influence from my dads side too, seeing as how other than my sister of the same father who tans just the same, the other 3 siblings of 2 other fathers do not. (I mentioned this family was spread out, right)

So, there might even be a native connection from my dads side. His line landed in Nova scotia from what i understand, If there is any native in the family from his side, it came from there i am pretty certain.

Anyways,

~~Love and Peace~~

Sy Moireibh MacAoidh
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]