> 1745 Jacobite Society
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Nov-2006, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Welcome all. Well I wanted to share with you one re-enactment group I am in which is the 1745 Jacobite Society. We do periods from 1745-1781. This includes the 1745 Jacobite Rising and Battle of Culloden in 1746, French & Indian wars, American Revolution. However, we participate mostly at the Scottish Highland games. We are based in Flagstaff, Arizona and have re-enactors come from nearby states to join us. If you are indeed interested in joining us at our future events, please feel free to contact the following link

http://www.1745jacobitesociety.20megsfree.com/

Here are some photos from the last games we did in Flagstaff, AZ. We didn't have all our folks with us, but that happens. Hope you enjoy. Thanks!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome...d=8EZNnDlwxcMmO
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Jan-2007, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Here are a couple of Highland festivals that our 1745 Jacobite Society will be re-enacting in 2007.

http://www.arizonascots.com/games.html

http://www.nachs.info/flagstafffestival.asp

You do not have to live in Arizona to participate with us, but will have to contact the above site to get info and perhaps join. Here is the link again.

http://www.1745jacobitesociety.20megsfree.com/

Hope to see you there!
Donajhi 
  Posted: 19-Jun-2007, 08:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Fae Hillfort

female

Hello Celtic Rose,

Reservations are made and paid for so I will see you in Flagstaff.
Look forward to the reenactment and plan to catch it on film, both
stills and video. clap.gif lookaround.gif kid.gif
Royal02.gif

--------------------
CHECK MY SITE: BEYOND THE VEIL http://www.gmadventures.com

"I DID NOT, IT WAS THE FAIRY FOLK!"

Scottish by the grace of God

Fairy Day countdown banner

DIOGENES HAS PASSED ME THE LANTERN, STILL LOOKING.....
PMEmail PosterRead My Blog View My Photographs               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 21-Jun-2007, 09:59 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey there, Donajhi! I look so forward to meeting you. I am not an actor myself. I dress up and hang out with these guys and have to know my 18thc history, only so I can photograph them all. Looking forward to meeting you soon! thumbs_up.gif See ya in Flag!
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 25-Jun-2007, 09:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Hope you post the video somewhere we can see them. I always try to catch Clann Tartan every year at Olde World Ren faire and it looks like it is a lot of fun. Wish I could join but you are both too far away. sad.gif

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Donajhi 
  Posted: 26-Jun-2007, 07:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Fae Hillfort

female

I'll be more than happy to share the action I and my daughter capture on film
or card. I do pray for a windy day. A kilt floats high if caught just right.
Well, we are both single and allowed to look........eek.gif eek.gif thumbup.gif
HA!HA!
PMEmail PosterRead My Blog View My Photographs               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Jul-2007, 03:33 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

DJ! You are so hilarious! I look so forward to meeting you!

Roberto, I don't do video! My camera has the capability to do so, but I am soooo into still photos and especially when it comes to my group and the Wicked Tinkers who will be performing at the event.

See and talk to you soon, DJ, at our 1745 Jacobite camp which is far far away...boo hoo!
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Aug-2007, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey! I forgot to report in here about our recent 1745 Jacobite Society "living history/re-enactment" event up at the Flagstaff Celtic Festival in July 2007. Saturday rained buckets and kind of was a bummer. I was stuck in a period tent with about 20 pirates as there was a group with us doing pirate personnas and demonstrations. That went over real well with the recent "Pirates of the Carribean" movie.

I took tons of photos, as usual. Sunday was a much better day. Got to meet DJ and Haynes from the site here....that was terrific! Couldn't meet nicer folks!

Well here is a link to my photos, if you would like to check them out.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rosemary.deser...key=tpjEK2X9aDA

TandVh 
Posted: 20-Aug-2007, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The countryside around Exeter, California

male

The Flagstaf Celtic Festival looks like fun. In the first few photos, it appears that some folks are pleating a Feileadh Mohr. It's a method I'm not familiar with. The tartan doesn't seem wide enough. Is it folded in half lengthwise?
My tartan is only 4 yards long but it's 60" wide.
Curious.
thanks for the pictures- makes me wish I was there!

--------------------
TandVh
CelticRoz 
Posted: 24-Oct-2007, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hello TandVH,

I apologize for not responding to your question sooner, but quite honestly I had to ask the men in my group for the answer! I will put in quotes what two of them (both founders of the 1745 Jacobite Society here in AZ) wrote back to me. Anyway, hope this helps.

1st reply from founder and Commander:

Feileadh Mohr

"First, it's pronounced "Faily More". Your friend is correct that the tartan should be 4 - 4 1/2 yards by 60", the tartan I'm using has not been cut in half and sewn up the middle, length wise. Some day I'll get to it. But the tartan I'm using is not entirely incorrect either as looms were of the width of the tartan that I have and many Scots wore it this way. This is the style worn from 1300-1689. 1689 was the start of the Jacobite Rebellions. The tartan I have is 9 yards long, that's where the term "the whole nine yards" come's from. In the eighteenth century the looms had not changed from previous times (they're 30" wide) and the tartan was woven to nine yards, then they cut it in half to make two 4 1/2 yard pieces then they sewed it up to connect the two pieces to make it 60" wide. The tartan I use that you photographed is Ancient Hunting Stewart and is made of pure wool that is home spun, on a period correct loom as it was during the 18th century. Who were you showing the photos to as I'm interested to know since he knows what he's talking about and has a period tartan(maybe you can convince him to join our group). " wink.gif

Reply from co-founder:

"As I understand it, the original looms produced a width of 27" to 30". If one could afford it two lengths were purchased and then sewn together."

Feileadh Mohr - fill-A more
Himself 
Posted: 07-Mar-2008, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacWillow

Realm: A'ways the foremost

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 24-Oct-2007, 08:17 PM)

..... The tartan I have is 9 yards long, that's where the term "the whole nine yards" come's from.........

Hi
I may be wrong but this doesn't look right.
I'm not sure that this is theorigin of the phrase, as I have heard my Grandfather use the term before in a military sense. So. ..... I Googled it.

Sure enough, the old codger seems right. The expression seems to be 200 years younger than the Jacobites, circa 1940. It is, in fact, a discription of an Anti Aircraft ammunition belt - a standard 27 feet long. So, he would give the target ' the whole nine yards'

What made me think was, my own pleated kilt in 16oz weave is 8.25yards, the plaid is a further 3yds long, The Féileadh Mor, in my understanding, was much shorter.

I quote http://www.clans.org.uk/kilts_3.html

'The Breacan an Fhéilidh or Féileadh Mor (Great Kilt, pron. Philamore) was originally a length of thick woollen cloth made up from two loom widths sewn together to give a total width of around 4.5 feet, up to 16 feet in length (depending on loom capacity).'

It is something to consider. smile.gif

The McAlpine

--------------------
I ride on ma fleet footet grey,
My sword hingin doon bi ma knee,
Ay ne'er was afraid o a foe
'N' wha daurs meddle wi me ?

In battle I ride a'ways the foremost,
My straik is the first in melee,
Ay ficht fer kin and Country,
'N' wha daurs meddle wi me ?
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-Mar-2008, 04:23 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Well many thanks, Himself. I have since heard several interpretations in regards to the Highland wear. Always open to hear what all think is accurate.

Thanks! wink.gif
CelticRoz 
Posted: 01-Jul-2008, 12:14 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Time for us Jacobite re-enactors to do our thing again. We'll be at the Flagstaff Highland games this month, July 19-20. I'll try and take some photos for all to see. Here is the link if any of you are interested in coming to watch us. Due to the black powder demo, our camp is always set way out away from heart of the festival. So you kind of have to ask where we are when you enter the gates. Hope to see some of you there!

Himself, I am going to share what you researched in regards to the "whole nine yards" with our guys as it appears to be more accurate. What do I know? I am female, don't wear a kilt and certainly not military. But I think the guys would find your research to be much more to consider. Thanks for sharing! smile.gif

Patch 
Posted: 02-Jul-2008, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (DesertRose @ 01-Jul-2008, 07:14 AM)
Time for us Jacobite re-enactors to do our thing again. We'll be at the Flagstaff Highland games this month, July 19-20. I'll try and take some photos for all to see. Here is the link if any of you are interested in coming to watch us. Due to the black powder demo, our camp is always set way out away from heart of the festival. So you kind of have to ask where we are when you enter the gates. Hope to see some of you there!

Himself, I am going to share what you researched in regards to the "whole nine yards" with our guys as it appears to be more accurate. What do I know? I am female, don't wear a kilt and certainly not military. But I think the guys would find your research to be much more to consider. Thanks for sharing! smile.gif

It looks like an interesting event. Here we have the "Highland Games" and "Ocktober Fest" celebrations. Both are fun. The area was settled early by Scots, Welsh and Irish. It has been said that they were the only ones tough (or dumb) enough to settle this area. Once the swamps were drained and the area was habitable it filled up fast. I can dress for the games but have no leather shorts for the German festival. Have a grand time!

Slàinte,  

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Haggishead 
Posted: 02-Jul-2008, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Roaming the Highlands of my mind

male

Can't wait until Flagstaff! Just barely got our reservations in. There must be something else going on in Flag this year at the same time. Most places were booked up that weekend.

We always enjoy the 1745ers!

--------------------
"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
Remember the men from whom you are descended.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]