Annabelle 
Posted: 07-Jan-2004, 09:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Barddas you are never going to believe it. My orchids are perking up and have new shoots on them!!!! Wow.
I've changed everything in the Fla room like you said and turned up the heater out there and it's nice and moist. I can't believe they look like I might now kill them. I'm so excited! Thanks for the helpful hints. It's working!

Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 08-Jan-2004, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Jan 7 2004, 09:14 PM)
Barddas you are never going to believe it. My orchids are perking up and have new shoots on them!!!! Wow.
I've changed everything in the Fla room like you said and turned up the heater out there and it's nice and moist. I can't believe they look like I might now kill them. I'm so excited! Thanks for the helpful hints. It's working!

Annabelle

You should ALWAYS do what Barddas tells you! wink.gif

Good work, Milady! The Orchids are lovely plants, even without the flowers.

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
barddas 
Posted: 08-Jan-2004, 03:54 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Jan 7 2004, 10:14 PM)

Annabelle

That is great Annabelle!! I meant to ask about them yesterday, but I just ran out of time....

That is too sweet! I'm glad to hear that it's working so well!!!!! smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
barddas 
Posted: 08-Jan-2004, 03:56 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (maisky @ Jan 8 2004, 09:46 AM)

You should ALWAYS do what Barddas tells you! wink.gif

That could be dangerous for all involved! Me included!!! LOL!!!!!
PMEmail Poster                
Annabelle 
Posted: 08-Jan-2004, 05:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Maisky come here so I can thump you one! I'd plant you but you would probably just for spite would sprout "Weeds".

A
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 21-Jan-2004, 10:42 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

I recieved the catalog I order seeds, and plants from last week. Now starts the process of narrowing down what to get for veg. garden and flower garden.
I am continplating getting an heirloom tomato variety. These are very old types of plants. Basically to my understanding these Heirloom varieties seeds have been gathered since they were brought to the colonies, and had to alterations ( hybid activity). I thought it might be interesting anyway....

*** Update some of my info is not exactly correct... below are links that explain Heirloom, Hybrid, open pollenation etc.... sorry for any confusion....

This post has been edited by barddas on 21-Jan-2004, 11:25 AM
PMEmail Poster                
barddas 
Posted: 21-Jan-2004, 11:14 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

PMEmail Poster                
barddas 
Posted: 21-Jan-2004, 11:21 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

Here is part of an article I found at HGTV.com for the whole article-
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_vegetables/art...1396502,00.html

So what varieties to choose? The choices seem endless. And if you wait till the last minute to get transplants, you might be stuck with what's left on garden center shelves.

Besides pleasing your palate, the variety has to do well in your climate. Gardeners in northern climates need varieties that require the fewest days to maturity. Pacific Northwest gardeners choose plants that tolerate relatively cool summers, while those in the Deep South need varieties that can take the heat. And then there's the resistance-to-disease issue.

"If you grow tomatoes in the same spot every year, you get a buildup of wilt spores and nematodes," says Doug Dalton, extension agent for Knox County, Tennessee. "So I always steer people toward wilt and nematode resistant varieties."

Then you have to factor in hybrid vs. open-pollinated, indeterminate vs. determinate. First, some quick definitions:

Hybrids are the result of a cross between two different varieties; seeds of hybrids usually produce inferior, off-type plants.
Open-pollinated varieties reproduce true from seed, retaining the same characteristics from one generation to the next.
Determinate tomatoes usually have compact plants that bear fruits at about the same time.
Indeterminate plants continue to grow and set fruits until frost. Staking is a must.

In the past, hybrids usually meant thick-skinned tomatoes with only good--but not great--flavor. A tomato had to withstand early picking, shipping, and long storage, and that often meant putting taste last. If you wanted superior flavor and color, you had to look at the heirloom varieties. These open-pollinated plants continue to offer some of the best possibilities for great taste.
PMEmail Poster                
RavenWing 
Posted: 21-Jan-2004, 01:15 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

Barddas - the resident horticulturalist. biggrin.gif

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 21-Jan-2004, 07:32 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

Barddas is BAAAD! He's the MAN! thumbs_up.gif
maisky 
Posted: 21-Jan-2004, 07:36 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Jan 8 2004, 05:02 PM)
Maisky come here so I can thump you one! I'd plant you but you would probably just for spite would sprout "Weeds".

A

Promises, promises, promises. Always such WONDERFUL threats and no action.....This is the worst she could do!
Annabelle 
Posted: 22-Jan-2004, 12:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

My orchids are looking even better. Their new shoots are going crazy. Can't believe what a difference the extra light makes. My peace lilies look better too.
I just got a catalog of seeds and plants catalog. I've been drooling over it for days trying to decide what to order and what new veg I'd like to try this year. I thought about putting in an Asparagus bed. I read that it takes years before you start getting anything out of it.
I am going to put in some more fruit tree this year. I saw Cherry tree's in there and I'm going to put 4 out. I've still got to clip back limbs cause we are beginning to see some budding alread. We had a few really warm days up to 75-78 degrees and that triggered the Daffodil bulbs to start coming up...way to early and I hope this cold doesn't kill everything.
It's 29 tonight here in Ga.
A
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 22-Jan-2004, 12:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Maisky you are an instigator. No not an alligator, instigator!
I can't plant you too deep cause I need you to take care of JaneyMae girl! I knew you were good for something....(laughing on my way out of the room)
Now where's my Turf builder with weed killers'?

A
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 22-Jan-2004, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Jan 22 2004, 12:12 AM)
My orchids are looking even better. Their new shoots are going crazy. Can't believe what a difference the extra light makes. My peace lilies look better too.
I just got a catalog of seeds and plants catalog. I've been drooling over it for days trying to decide what to order and what new veg I'd like to try this year. I thought about putting in an Asparagus bed. I read that it takes years before you start getting anything out of it.
I am going to put in some more fruit tree this year. I saw Cherry tree's in there and I'm going to put 4 out. I've still got to clip back limbs cause we are beginning to see some budding alread. We had a few really warm days up to 75-78 degrees and that triggered the Daffodil bulbs to start coming up...way to early and I hope this cold doesn't kill everything.
It's 29 tonight here in Ga.
A

Poor baby! It was 4 degrees this morning with the windchill at -15.....Tonight is supposed to be -1 and -25. unsure.gif
maisky 
Posted: 22-Jan-2004, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Jan 22 2004, 12:14 AM)
Maisky you are an instigator. No not an alligator, instigator!
I can't plant you too deep cause I need you to take care of JaneyMae girl! I knew you were good for something....(laughing on my way out of the room)
Now where's my Turf builder with weed killers'?

A

I've been thinking of getting my liscence as a PI (Private Instigator) and going into business.... tongue.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt