maggiemahone1 
Posted: 28-May-2003, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

QUOTE (Gaelic Bread @ May 28 2003, 11:07 PM)
Since I'm getting over this cold, I have a green finger.  Is that close enough?
huh.gif
I'm so bad at gardening, I couldn't grow mold!

Yuck!!! You are grose! wink.gif My little granddaughter has the same problem! ha-ha wink.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
free2Bme 
Posted: 28-May-2003, 10:12 PM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Gulf Coast of Florida

female

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ May 28 2003, 10:18 PM)
All I have here are hostas, peonies which still don't have any buds on 'em even though it's past Memorial Day, some other perennials I can't name, and an apple tree which either doesn't bloom or the squirrels eat all the apples mad.gif . I need to buy some squirrel repellent or a BB gun biggrin.gif .

Reminds me of the year I planted a garden and all I got was bunny rabbits! Sure tasted good smothered in gravy! tongue.gif

--------------------
RPG Anne O'Calahan
PMEmail Poster               
CelticAingeal 
Posted: 28-May-2003, 11:21 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Canada

female

CelticAingeal, have you tried a wisteria for a flowering vine. They grow hardy in zones 5-9 here in the states.

No, I haven't.... when I was at the green house today all they had were various clematis'. I'll have to look into that wisteria and see if I can find it at another nursery. I'm not sure what zone we are in either.....do ye know if there is a map on-line where a person could check out what zone they are in?

I know if you plant them to deep they won't bloom.
I didn't realize some bulbs are that sensitive to how deep they are planted......that could very well be what happened. If I remember right I planted the whole lot of them, tulips, hyacinths and daffodils at the same depth.......oops!! rolleyes.gif

Congratulations on your daughter's wedding, Maggie!! smile.gif That is so exciting that her wedding will take place in your flower garden. I can't wait to see the pictures. Oh, and I must agree on the fresh garden tomatos....mmmmmmmm, love them as much as new garden potatos. biggrin.gif

Thanks so much for the link to the 'knot' garden, Catriona.....that type of garden is just beautiful. I can remember seeing a lot of gardens like that when we were in Denmark.....never knew what they were called though. wink.gif All your fruit trees sound wonderful. Tis amazing how much you can grow there. What are your average temperatures for each season?

Reminds me of the year I planted a garden and all I got was bunny rabbits! Sure tasted good smothered in gravy! 

.....aaaagggghhhh!!!! ohmy.gif

--------------------
~ Daonnan agus a chaoidh ~
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 29-May-2003, 02:49 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Not sure about the ACTUAL average temps for our seasons - but here's my rule of thumb

Spring - often still has snow on the ground, and starts about a month later than you expect. Wet - and windy.

Summer - no snow on the ground, but often wet - oh and windy. Some sunny days. Did I mention the wind?

Autumn - no snow on the ground - but the promise of snow to come - often wet and windy. Some sunny days. The winds are getting stronger.

Winter. Very cold. Wet. Windy. Snow at some point.

Amazing that we continue to survive!!!

No, seriously, our summers are later than the southern areas of the United Kingdom. For instance, early bulbs like anemones, daffodils, scilla etc which are flowering in the London area in February - often don't appear in Scottish gardens until at least March/April. We are about 6 weeks behind their 'seasons'.

Because my garden has very old walls on two sides, and the back garden is south-facing - it is a bit of a 'sun-trap' (well, I use that term loosely!) we are able to grow a lot of plants that some of my friends who live in more exposed areas find impossible.

PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 29-May-2003, 07:28 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

MDF, I can't believe that your peonies aren't blooming, ours is in full bloom and they smell wonderful.

CelticAingeal, try www.burpeeseeds.com
or
www.michiganbulb.com

you may be able to find what growing zone on either web site.

Catriona, I like the terra cotta pots also. I bought mine at Wal-Marts, they were made in Italy, does that count! biggrin.gif Tuscany, the home of Andrea Bocelli
I love to hear that man sing.

We have about 12 apple trees with a variety of apples,a grape arbor, chestnut trees and a pear tree.

When I was a child at home, my Dad always planted big huge gardens and of course Mom always canned up everything that came out of the garden, so I guess my dad past his 'green thumb' down to me, at least that is what I like to think. biggrin.gif

sad.gif another rainy day! sad.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
brettzky42 
Posted: 29-May-2003, 09:42 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

No green thumb here. My house is the place where plants go to die. blink.gif

--------------------
Brett
"I drink whiskey with me whiskey, and water with me water."

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
CelticAingeal 
Posted: 02-Jun-2003, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

No green thumb here. My house is the place where plants go to die.

*lol*....awwwww, brettzky!!
Stick around, there are some wonderful gardeners at the site here. Much to learn from them if you're interested. wink.gif

Thanks for the links Maggie!! smile.gif I wasn't able to find a map for this area on those sites, but I'm going to check out some of their related links.....I'm sure I'll be able to find out that way.
another rainy day!

mad.gif ....what happened to that sunny weather I sent ye?? Well, we've got the rain here today, so hopefully that sun made its way to your neck of the woods.

Spring - often still has snow on the ground, and starts about a month later than you expect. Wet - and windy.

Summer - no snow on the ground, but often wet - oh and windy. Some sunny days. Did I mention the wind?

Autumn - no snow on the ground - but the promise of snow to come - often wet and windy. Some sunny days. The winds are getting stronger.

Winter. Very cold. Wet. Windy. Snow at some point.

Amazing that we continue to survive!!!

I love this summation. biggrin.gif Well, we definately have one thing in common.....wind!! Here, we can quite often still have sporadic snow in April and May sad.gif . Our earliest bulbs usually don't show themselves till April or May here. It all depends, it can vary so much. One year we have a warm beautiful April.....the next year we are still wearing mittens in April. We have thankfully recieved much moisture this spring, it was sooooooo needed.

PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 02-Jun-2003, 04:35 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Just planted some impatiens this afternoon.

Didn't turn the sprinkler on. We're supposed to get rain tonight.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CelticAingeal 
Posted: 02-Jun-2003, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

Just planted some impatiens this afternoon.

......sounds nice, what color are they?

Maybe you're getting the rain we've had here all day....it's been great!!
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 02-Jun-2003, 05:24 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

male

QUOTE (CelticAingeal @ Jun 2 2003, 05:48 PM)
......sounds nice, what color are they?

Maybe you're getting the rain we've had here all day....it's been great!!

Kind of a light red...almost salmon.

Where do you live? I live in Chicago. So unless you're west of me, I don't think it's possible that we'd be getting the same front.
CelticAingeal 
Posted: 02-Jun-2003, 05:33 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

Aaahh.....I know those type, very pretty!!

Aye, we are to the west of ye......in mid Canada here, Saskatchewan. And, ~looks out her window~ judging by the direction of the rain clouds they are moving east. So ye never know ye may catch the wee corner of a storm system up here. I promise not to send the tornado watch though. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 02-Jun-2003, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

male

QUOTE (CelticAingeal @ Jun 2 2003, 05:33 PM)
Aye, we are to the west of ye......in mid Canada here, Saskatchewan. And, ~looks out her window~ judging by the direction of the rain clouds they are moving east. So ye never know ye may catch the wee corner of a storm system up here. I promise not to send the tornado watch though. wink.gif

Don't worry, I know how hardcore weather can be. About 20 miles southwest of my house is Illinois' Tornado Valley.
brettzky42 
Posted: 03-Jun-2003, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

I'm serious about that no green thumb thing. I once killed a cactus! How the hell can you kill a cactus?
PMEmail Poster               
CelticAingeal 
Posted: 04-Jun-2003, 04:25 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

ohmy.gif ...... huh.gif ...... blink.gif ...... unsure.gif

*lol* Ye've got me stumped on that one Brettzky.
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 04-Jun-2003, 04:56 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

male

QUOTE (brettzky42 @ Jun 3 2003, 06:39 PM)
I'm serious about that no green thumb thing. I once killed a cactus! How the hell can you kill a cactus?

Sounds to me like you have a brown thumb-all the flora & fauna you have turn to (fertilizer).
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt