DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 08:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

I feed mine Iam's senior diet. Well I heard that Iam's was one of the best foods, but correct me if I am wrong. I feed them both who are 9 and 11 years old the senior Iam's diet. Beside the Iam's kibbles, I feed them a tablespoon of canned Pedigree meat.

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
haynes9 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 09:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Strictly Iams. Bob (great name for a mutt, huh?) does well with it and seems to have no end of energy!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
Swanny 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

If you want to start a fight among dog people just ask "what is the best dog food" and you'll get a tussle going every time.

I used to feed Iams until they were sold to Procter and Gambel. Jeff King dropped them as his feed sponsor shortly after they were sold, not because they sold the company, but because his dogs started dying. Whether or not it was related isn't certain, but when he quit feeding the stuff his dogs quit dying. Iam's has also been accused of some pretty cruel animal experimentation practices (reference [URL=http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm]Iams - the Suffering Behind the
'Science'[/URL])

I currently feed Nutro Natural Choice large breed adult, supplemented with raw meat and probiotic. It's bloody outrageously expensive but I'm very pleased with the results. I chose Nutro specifically because it does not include corn or corn by-products in the formulation. Dogs don't digest corn very well so they don't get the full nutritional value from foods containing corn.

As the mushing season progresses and my dogs are working harder I'll probably have to start feeding a hotter food, one with higher protien and fat levels. I'm just now starting to do the research to find a food that will work for me.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacReed

male

purina 1 fat boy diet... w/rice ... nothing with a lot of corn i understand that corn is especially harsh on a dogs system.... please regard my signature....

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 07:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

hey Swanny. I used to feed my dogs Nutro until I moved to this small town in the middle of the desert, so I am lucky I can get Iam's. But I believe in all what you say and I will work on getting Nutro for them somehow! thanks for all the valueable info! smile.gif

Swanny 
Posted: 11-Oct-2006, 09:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Rose, you might ask around your little town to learn if anyone is carrying Science Diet. SD Lamb and Rice forumla is pretty good food and I fed that for quite a while before switching to Nutro. You may be able to find it through a vet's office.

If my choices were "grocery food store" and Iams, I would probably feed the Iams, but I'd be sure to supplement it pretty heavily.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 11-Oct-2006, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Pedigree. Our dogs are 16, so I can,t complain.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 11-Oct-2006, 05:02 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I feed my dog HA "hypoallergenic" by Purina. It's costly but less waste & waist..lol

It's good to see all of you!!!

My dog almost died from some of that junk food out there..so after a big vet bill, and a few years on this food no problems. 'knock on wood"
The dog doesn't care for it much, and it reminds me of corn puffs cereal..but he has way more zip- not that he needed anymore..he is 6 years old.

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
zeryx 
Posted: 11-Oct-2006, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: St Andrews ~ Scotland

female

My GSD has a pancreatic deficiency and as a result the best food for her is raw green tripe. Her meal is verging on a "barf" (bone and raw food) diet eat.gif consisting of 1lb tripe, can of Winalot wet food, some James Wellbeloved dry food, carrots & sweet and other odds of vegetables. She adores tomatoes and if she's in a 'faddy' mood, refusing to eat we just need to cut up a tomato into her meal and she polishes off the lot!!

--------------------
user posted image

Friends are like quiet angels who lift our feet when our wings forget how to fly
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
haynes9 
Posted: 11-Oct-2006, 05:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

QUOTE (Swanny @ 10-Oct-2006, 12:10 PM)
If you want to start a fight among dog people just ask "what is the best dog food" and you'll get a tussle going every time.

I used to feed Iams until they were sold to Procter and Gambel. Jeff King dropped them as his feed sponsor shortly after they were sold, not because they sold the company, but because his dogs started dying. Whether or not it was related isn't certain, but when he quit feeding the stuff his dogs quit dying. Iam's has also been accused of some pretty cruel animal experimentation practices (reference [URL=http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm]Iams - the Suffering Behind the
'Science'[/URL])

I currently feed Nutro Natural Choice large breed adult, supplemented with raw meat and probiotic. It's bloody outrageously expensive but I'm very pleased with the results. I chose Nutro specifically because it does not include corn or corn by-products in the formulation. Dogs don't digest corn very well so they don't get the full nutritional value from foods containing corn.

As the mushing season progresses and my dogs are working harder I'll probably have to start feeding a hotter food, one with higher protien and fat levels. I'm just now starting to do the research to find a food that will work for me.

Swanny

Swanny, thanks for that info. I had never heard that before. I will definitely take a closer look at using Iams. It has always done my dogs pretty well, but I may need to reconsider.
Swanny 
Posted: 12-Oct-2006, 10:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (zeryx @ 11-Oct-2006, 01:08 PM)
My GSD has a pancreatic deficiency and as a result the best food for her is raw green tripe.  Her meal is verging on a "barf" (bone and raw food) diet eat.gif consisting of 1lb tripe, can of Winalot wet food, some James Wellbeloved dry food, carrots & sweet and other odds of vegetables.  She adores tomatoes and if she's in a 'faddy' mood, refusing to eat we just need to cut up a tomato into her meal and she polishes off the lot!!

Zeryx, I would probably feed a raw diet if my circumstances were different. Because of my job I am away from home two weeks out of each month. My dogs board with a mushing friend while I'm at work and Mike is really good about keeping up their training for me. I worry that switching back and forth from kibble to raw every two weeks would do more harm than good.

I have a friend who has been feeding raw food for a long time now with excellent results. One of her dogs is a fifteen year old, 100 lb German shepherd dog that still has excellent teeth and is reasonably active. He's a great old dog.

Mike is the name of the guy I board my dogs with. He's been mushing dogs for a long, long time now. He's in his sixties and still out on the trail every other day. He and I have been 'bickering' over food for a while now.

Mike feeds a good quality, performance dog food that according to the label has more protien and fat than the Nutro I feed. Because many of the ingredients are corn or corn products, it is much cheaper. I currently pay about $1.00 per pound for the Nutro and Mike is paying about 75 cents per pound for his kibble.

In order to maintain their weight, I have to feed my guys 2 cups of Nutro supplemented with 1 lb of raw chicken, meat or fish daily. Although Mike's dogs are much smaller than my guys, he has to feed each dog at least 3 cups of kibble and almost twice as much meat.

Consequently I believe we are each paying about the same to feed our dogs, but my dogs require less volume and produce much less stool than his. I'm convinced the difference is in the quality of feed, but Mike thinks it's because my freight dogs were bred to be easy keepers while his dogs are bred primarily for speed and have a higher base metabolic rate.

Although I wouldn't admit it to Mike (I enjoy keeping the debate going), I think that both factors contribute to the result.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 12-Oct-2006, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

I feed Nutro as well. Not much waste and also no corn filler. And it has a dental formula since my dogs doesn't have the best teeth in the world anymore. She is getting old and since she had a bad start in life and eat trash and other bad food her teeth were already bad when we got her.

But she likes it and she is happy with it. Also feed the Dental Bisquits from Nutro.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 12-Oct-2006, 05:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Are you all talking about Nutro or Nutromax? Wasn't there a dog food name by Nutromax? unsure.gif

Swanny, I can indeed get Science Diet through my vet's office. So you think their food is pretty good, then, eh? I will check into that then. Lamb and rice perhaps? Shelties have tempermental tummies. Many thanks as I am always trying to find the perfect dog food. rolleyes.gif
Swanny 
Posted: 12-Oct-2006, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Nutro manufactures "Max" as well as "Natural Choice" and at least one other brand as well. Nutro Max, Nutro Natural Choice and Nutro Whatchcallit. I feed the Natural Choice currently.

My dogs did well on Science Diet - a lot better than on Iams or Eukanuba after the P&G buy-out. I wasn't mushing them then, but one of them was a hard hunting pointing labrador retriever. It can't hurt to give it a try.

Keep an eye on their stool for a few days. They may get a bit runny during the transition, but it shouldn't last more than a couple of days.

PMEmail Poster               
LORD RHYS 
Posted: 31-Oct-2006, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: NEW PORT RICHEY FL

male

Kittens wink.gif Just kidding

Beneful !!! by purina i belive . Thats for the Collie

Old Roy puppy for our new mini-doxie going to change to Beneful puppy next time we buy!

--------------------
"True conformity to the dictates of nature requires reverence for the past and solicitude for the future. 'Nature' is not simply the sensation of the passing moment; it is eternal, though we evanescent men experience only a fragment of it. We have no right to imperil the happiness of posterity by impudently tinkering with the heritage of humanity."

"Every right is married to a duty, every freedom owns a corresponding responsibility. There cannot be genuine freedom unless there exists also genuine order in the moral realm and in the social realm."
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt