DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 04:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

For me it is the Shetland Sheepdog. I have had 7 of them over the past 22 years, so I kind of feel I have an understanding and knowledge of the breed...but I could always be proven wrong! wink.gif biggrin.gif

They are a very stoic breed when it comes to pain. Very protective of their owners and territory. They are very sweet, very willing to please their owner and easy to train. Some do or do not like children...really depends if they have been raised around them or not. For those who have, I hear they are extremely protective of children in the home and will want to herd them LOL

Negatives: They like to bark aka Sheltie speak and very stubborn.

The main thing I was most surprised to learn is that the Sheltie was originally bred with the Pomeranian; hence, their similar coat and bark.

And the reason they are so timid to people? They were bred that way in Scotland because while sheep herders, their only predators were humans. Well that is what I was told anyway.

Share your favorite breed and why.

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 05:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

I've always have had a Westhighland "westie" Terrier. They're great companions and if you have a garden, you'll never have a problem with pests like rabbits and other virmin.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 07:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indiana

female

I like the labs, I have a full blooded chocolate lab who is like the smartest dog I have ever seen in my life. He is good w/ the kids and has that deep bark that scares people who come to the door (which is a good thing where I live)
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
haynes9 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 09:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Beagles! Grew up with them. Dad used them for hunting rabbits. Some of them were dumb as a brick, but they were loyal and could go after rabbits like nobody's business! It doesn't hurt that they're cute. Some people find their bark irritating, but I love it's sound.

The one real negative about Beagles is that they are champion diggers! If they want out, they will dig to China to get out!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

My nephew and his wife have a Beagle. That girl has the most expressive face I have ever seen on a dog. You can practically read her mind. She is soooooo funny, We all greatly love this Beagle dog! Well of course, I love my Shelties more! wink.gif
Swanny 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 12:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

There are so many wonderful breeds of dogs that I don't think I could honestly claim a single favorite. I do lean very strongly toward working dogs, though. As a kid in cow country, I grew up with collies, Australian shepherds (called "farm dogs" back then), blue healers and similar herding dogs. I had a yellow labrador retriever who was a seventh generation pointing lab - a fabulous dog both as a companion and as a hunter. Today I am delighted with my sled dogs, both my Alaskan huskies and my two mixed breed sled dogs.

Common traits in all of these are very physically active, intelligent, friendly animals who enjoy doing the things they are bred to do.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
gwen 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 03:31 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Utah

female

two favorites-beagles and great danes. we have one of each. our beagle is adorable and snuggly, very protective of our two younger children. he thinks he is the 'nanny' and stays with the babies until they learn to walk, then follows them everywhere. our dane is beautiful and enthusiastic about "her people." she has a positively monstrous bark, which i love when the hubby is on business trips and hate when the baby is napping. she stays by my side all day, no matter what i'm doing, which is great unless i'm cooking-she's taller than my countertop!

--------------------
warm heart, warm hearth
bring me to thee-
out of the world's bluster and bite.
i'll hold my children
in a place soft and light,
and welcome the wanderer
that knocks at my door.
PMEmail Poster               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

I have 2 siberian huskies and a mutt. My mutt is my favorite. She's the sweetest dog. I also grew up with beagles. My dad used them for hunting. They are extremely sweet dogs. Their only downfall is their "doggy" smell. That's what I love about my huskies...they don't have that smell to them. rolleyes.gif Unless of course they've been out in the rain. Whew! huh.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I have breeds I love the look of, and would love to own one of some day -- given the right amount of land -- mostly the Gordon Setter and the black Belgian Shepherd. But my heart goes out to the silky-coated, lop-eared, wise-hearted, black-and-tan shepherd-collie mixed mutt (usually named "Shep" smile.gif ). You can leave your soul with them and never be afraid of losing it. They are watchdog enough, protector enough, big enough (or small enough), and more hiking companion and hearth friend than the majority of people know how to be.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Sna...eaks/scooby.jpg
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 10-Oct-2006, 07:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

I heard really great things about the American Eskimo dog.

I have always wanted a Westie!

My nephew and his wife have a Beagle! that dog has the most personality of any dog I have ever seen! Her name is Junie B and she is hysterical in every way, but an excellent dog.
valpal59 
Posted: 11-Oct-2006, 04:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Labs are my favorite. We still have 3, 16 yr. old Labs. My favorite was Tilly. She was a chocolate lab and my baby. She had breast cancer and we had to put her to sleep 4 yrs. ago. Cody and Max are our lovable clowns and Sadie is our little girl.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Madadh 
Posted: 11-Oct-2006, 10:05 PM
Quote Post

Lord High Hound of all Ireland
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Maryland

male

Awful partial to the Irish Wolfhound myself.

user posted image

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
LORD RHYS 
Posted: 31-Oct-2006, 02:15 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: NEW PORT RICHEY FL

male

Several... Collies , German Shepards , Border Collies, and now since we just got one Mini Daschunds

--------------------
"True conformity to the dictates of nature requires reverence for the past and solicitude for the future. 'Nature' is not simply the sensation of the passing moment; it is eternal, though we evanescent men experience only a fragment of it. We have no right to imperil the happiness of posterity by impudently tinkering with the heritage of humanity."

"Every right is married to a duty, every freedom owns a corresponding responsibility. There cannot be genuine freedom unless there exists also genuine order in the moral realm and in the social realm."
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 08-Dec-2006, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

My Cheseapeke Bay Retriever is the best breed I have been owned by, in my opinion. "The Dump" is the Princess of the House and my wife's protector/herder.

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
maisky 
Posted: 08-Dec-2006, 02:26 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

And my favorite pic of Dump.

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt