Posted: 06-Aug-2006, 07:45 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

It's definately a must read, it'sjust that it builds and builds and then kind of falls flat.
And I have read the other 2, infact I have them both on my shelf. In fact, I have a VERY extensive library of Native books. Mostly from the Northern Plains, but quite a few from all cultural areas. If anyone would like some reccomendations let me know. Always glad to share my knowledge (such as it is wink.gif ).

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 07-Aug-2006, 12:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

female

I read "Bury my heart at Wounded Knee" for the first time in 1971 when it was published over here. It was my first book about Native American history and I was 13. I never lost interest since.
It is a truism that "history is written by the victors"; for the first time, this book described the opening of the West from the Indians' viewpoint.
This book is a hard, emotional read and worth every second. I also greatly enjoyed the pictures of the Chiefs and others involved. There are some truly beautiful portraits. I would say if you only read one book about the settling of America read this one.

I haven't read "Custer died for your sins"; and Dogshirt, I would highly appreciate any recommendations!

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
haynes9 
Posted: 07-Aug-2006, 05:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

From the perspective of where we live, The Book of the Navajo is very good. The tone of the book is decidedly anti-Christian, but it is a really great read from the Navajo point of view. I have always suggested that anyone truly interested in Navajo country should make it a must read. It certainly gave me a lot of insight before we moved out here ten years ago.

Dog, I would also appreciate any recommendations. I am sure my Native American library is not as extensive as yours and I am always looking to find good books to add.

Have a great day!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 09-Aug-2006, 05:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

hello all! I have read "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" and I feel it is probably one of the best books about the Native American people on the planet and a must-read for anyone interested in Native American history and culture.

I don't have "The Book of the Navaho," but must get it in my library. thanks so much. And yes, it is true that history is written by victors!

Thanks for all our recommendations!

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
DesertRose 
Posted: 09-Jan-2008, 12:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Added to my list in this genre are the following new books I bought.

"Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey" by Lillian Schlissel.

"More Than Petticoats, Remarkable Oregon Women" by Gayle C Shirley.

As an 18thc re-enactor, one of my duties is to try to teach about the roles and life of women so I LOVE reading what life was like for women of the past. The two books above share some amazing stories of amazing women.

Not quite in the Celtic genre, but my favorite in that would be "Damn Rebel Bitches, Women of the 45" by Maggie Craig. Quite the title, eh? But excellent reading. It would be more in the history category though. Was written about the women involved during 1745 Scotland and their support for Prince Charles Edward Stuart.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt