DesertRose 
Posted: 27-May-2006, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

I must confess I have not read any autobiography's and biography's based on someone's else's life lately. The last I read was about Princess Diana. I really enjoy these kind of books and wish I took the time to read more. I was seriously thinking about getting the new Anderson Cooper's book as I really like him a lot and would be interested in his life.

Anybody read bio and autobiographical novels? What was your opinion and synopsis and what would you recommend for us to read in this genre? Thanks!

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 28-May-2006, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

The only autobiographies I have read lately are my own, my grandpa's, and Night by Elie Weisel (although I think it is specifically a memoir). Recent biographies? One about Anne Frank, One about Marie Antoinette (correct me if my spelling is wrong).

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 28-May-2006, 09:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey greenldydragon! Well I must say you cannot get any better than your families' memoirs!

You read "Night" by Elie Weisel?! I saw him on Oprah recently. What a horrific experience that man went through! Oh my!
greenldydragon 
Posted: 01-Jun-2006, 04:45 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

Yes, after reading the book the whole atrocity seemed s much more real to me. I can completely understand why it took him so long before telling about his experiences. Was the show you watched where Oprah reunited the family separated by the genocide in Rwanda? I love it when she does stuff like that.
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 01-Jun-2006, 06:48 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

I'm currently reading "Where White Men Fear to Tread" The autobiography of Russell Means. It covers the Wounded Knee occupation and the events that led up to it as well the rest of his life. Very interesting reading, I've been getting crabby when something comes up and makes me stop!

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 02-Jun-2006, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (greenldydragon @ 01-Jun-2006, 04:45 PM)
Yes, after reading the book the whole atrocity seemed s much more real to me. I can completely understand why it took him so long before telling about his experiences. Was the show you watched where Oprah reunited the family separated by the genocide in Rwanda? I love it when she does stuff like that.

Oh no! I did not see that one. I only saw the Oprah show where she and Elie Weisel went through the horrible camps in Poland. That was horrible enough! sad.gif
DesertRose 
Posted: 02-Jun-2006, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Dogshirt @ 01-Jun-2006, 06:48 PM)
I'm currently reading "Where White Men Fear to Tread" The autobiography of Russell Means. It covers the Wounded Knee occupation and the events that led up to it as well the rest of his life. Very interesting reading, I've been getting crabby when something comes up and makes me stop!

beer_mug.gif

hey Dogshirt! Good to hear from you! I have been meaning to get this book by Russel Means for some time as I am very interested in Native American affairs and was involved in the powwow circuit for 3-1/2 years. In my town we do not have a book store. I either have to go out of town or order on line. Thanks so much!

I saw your profile pic, btw. Really great pic.

bwahahahahaha! Crabby, eh? Well here is a beer to help you enjoy your reading! beer_mug.gif

Take care!
Dogshirt 
Posted: 02-Jun-2006, 08:04 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

I got the book off ebay, I get a lot of my books there, good prices and a good selection. It is a really good book, and BIG, over 550 pages.
Thanks, the girls that live with me made my kilt and took the picture the first time I wore it. I had had the fabric for about 25 years and I asked them if they could do it. They said yes and one said "I love sewing pleats!" Then when they brought over for me to try on she said "I never want to sew another pleat!" I guess she spent over 8 hrs hand sewing the pleats! But I LOVE it!

beer_mug.gif
DesertRose 
Posted: 02-Jun-2006, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks Dogshirt! It was really very worth it to have your outfit sewn, despite the difficulty. Looks really awesome!

I have ordered many books from ebayhalf.com and gotten some very good deals. Thanks for the info! Let us know how you like the book when you finish! wink.gif
ImmortalAvalon 
Posted: 06-Jun-2006, 11:07 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAlder

Realm: North Carolina

female

I read a lot of historical biographies. Last week, I read, Queen Isabella: Treachery, Adultery, and Murder in Medieval England by Alison Weir. It is about Edward II's consort, Isabella of France. She has a rather, ummm, colorful reputation. The book was okay, though some of the theories presented were a little hard to swallow. I'm not saying they may not be true, just difficult to believe. Also by this author are several other biographies of various British monarchs and consorts: Eleanor of Aquitaine, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, Mary, Queen of Scots, The Little Princes in the Tower, etc.

As for Night, I read it twice for various classes in high school. That was about ten years ago. I can't say I enjoyed it. One cannot enjoy a book like that unless one has a rather macabre mind. But it is very good.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
DesertRose 
Posted: 09-Jun-2006, 11:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks so much, ImmortalAvalon on your take on things. Thanks so much for sharing!
zeryx 
Posted: 06-Aug-2006, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: St Andrews ~ Scotland

female

The three I've read that spring to mind are

Catherine Cookson - Our Kate (an An Autobiographical Memoir)
Donny Osmond - Life Is Just What You Make It: The Autobiography
Terry Waite - Taken on Trust

and I would highly recommend every one of them!

--------------------
user posted image

Friends are like quiet angels who lift our feet when our wings forget how to fly
Dogshirt 
Posted: 06-Aug-2006, 02:37 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

I finally finished "Where Whitemen Fear to Tread", the autobiography of Russell Means.
For the most part it was good. His early life gives you insight to how he came to the point of joining AIM and his radical mind set. The section on Wounded Knee was great! But at some point after that his life seems to have become anti-climactic. I'm not sure if his earlier life over shadowed his later years, or if he just lost steam. But the last 1/4 of the book just sort of fizzles out. I'm glad he has found a measure of peace and fulfilment in his life, but the book would have been better as "A Road to Wounded Knee" or such and ended with his aquital after his trial.
I'd have to give it 3 1/2 stars.

beer_mug.gif
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 06-Aug-2006, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

I have read "Where white men fear to tread" a while ago. I have been following Russell Means and his way since the "Trail of Broken Treaties Campaign" and the Siege of Wounded Knee and was exited when I found his autobiography at amazon.

While I would rate the book a bit better than you did, Dogshirt, I agree with you that the last part of the book was "fizzling out" as you call it.

Well, his upbringing left Means with an apparently inexhaustible reservoir of pain and rage. His book is a chronicle of it. You have to decide if this is a book of a revolutionary who triumphated over incredible odds - or of a man, an alcoholic, and his neverending battle with himself.
The truth lies somewhere inbetween both statements, I think.

A fascinating character and a book that is worth reading though.

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
haynes9 
Posted: 06-Aug-2006, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

I haven't read the book by and about Means, but he is certainly a polarizing figure here in Navajo country. I am not sure whether or not he is even welcome out here anymore. You either love him or hate him, it seems.

Though I don't agree with all of his views, I think anything written by or about Means would have to be required reading for anyone truly interested in Native American affairs over the past 30 years. I plan on getting this book and giving it a read. Thanks for the nudge, Dog and Gabby.

Either of you read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee or Custer Died for your Sins? Both fascinating reads, IMHO.

Have a great day all!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt