flora 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 07:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

The network ABC is going to have a special on 20/20 about guns. It should be interesting how they present it.

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Taliesin 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

QUOTE (flora @ 09-Apr-2009, 05:48 AM)
The network ABC is going to have a special on 20/20 about guns. It should be interesting how they present it.

Flora

If by "interesting" you mean vilifying them and anyone who owns them as crazy psychotic killers, then I suppose you're right.

You seriously think they're going to spend any time on people who have legally, and successfully defended themselves or their families with a firearm? They're going to spend time on school shootings, police killings, and kids who accidentally shoot their best friends in the face because they were never taught how to properly handle a gun.

You know, we all can argue about whether or not we SHOULD have guns, etc. but I could post many stories of people who have owned guns their whole lives, and have never needed to use them; stories of people who have used a firearm to hold a criminal until the police arrived, or who have had to use them in self-defense. But the media will never cover these stories, because they don't fit with the plan to eliminate the 2nd Amendment without Amending the Constitution.

I may or may not watch this 20/20 special, but I have no doubt what will be on there, and it will play into the hands of the Brady Campaign, you can be sure.

--------------------
-Taliesin

A Scotsman Abroad
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
InRi 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Saxons

ZodiacVine

Realm: Arbing, Upper Austria

male

Form your own opinion - I hope that's the right link:

network ABC - 20/20

Ingo

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I have been surprised twice that PBS has presented shows on firearms and did not attack the fire arms or the owners.

I too will expect little from ABC.

Slàinte,   

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (InRi @ 09-Apr-2009, 12:30 PM)
Form your own opinion - I hope that's the right link:

network ABC - 20/20

Ingo

I checked it out and the important parts are blocked. It is about what I expected though.

The Binghamton shooter had an alias (not a nick name) which says criminal to start with. The man in PA was admittedly afraid that the govt would take his weapons. When the police came, that WAS going to happen. What happened there may not be an uncommon thing in the future.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
RedWeasel 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacRowan

male

I am not surprised at ANYthing the media does these days. My Dad says that the media USED to report the facts of the news. But it seems to both he and I, that the media now feeds us THEIR interpretation of the news, along with their opinions of same, and WE are expected to take this at face value.
We need to be much more skeptical of the mush that they try to shove down our throats. In my Dad's words "Think for yourself and form your own opinions. Right or wrong, at least they are your own and not what someone else told you to belive."
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (RedWeasel @ 09-Apr-2009, 01:29 PM)
I am not surprised at ANYthing the media does these days. My Dad says that the media USED to report the facts of the news. But it seems to both he and I, that the media now feeds us THEIR interpretation of the news, along with their opinions of same, and WE are expected to take this at face value.
We need to be much more skeptical of the mush that they try to shove down our throats. In my Dad's words "Think for yourself and form your own opinions. Right or wrong, at least they are your own and not what someone else told you to belive."

That is an excellent observation. When we had news 3 times a day or even when it went to 4, we got facts. Now they have to fill "time" and even Fox news is guilty.

I get my news from multiple sources and try to glean the facts. The rest is garbage.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

Extreamly bias and a refusal to look at the big picture.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
Patch 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 07:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

For my part, I look at the picture world wide. We have many instancces of "gun control' to observe and note the outcomes.

Slàinte,   

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 12-May-2009, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

HR 45 is now getting some activity in the house. It is known as the blair-holt firearms licensing bill. It would, if passed, require the purchase of a license for each firearm presently owned and would allow warrantless search to force compliance. The cost of the license, which would be valid for 5 years, has yet to be determined and could be prohibitive!!

It is time to contact your representative.

Since 150M applications for firearms purchases were made from Nov. through Jan. and since representatives run every two years, I suspect they will be very sensitive to this issue.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 12-May-2009, 01:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

This is long but interesting.

By Gerard Valentino

Mankind pulled civilization out of the mud somewhere in the ancient past. In creating society, people agreed to a non-spoken compact that required everyone to look out for their neighbor. We aren't talking about a communist society where the government dictates that everyone work for the collective good, but instead an agreement between honest law-abiding people that made it reprehensible to leave your neighbor to die.

The same holds true, or used to hold true, when it came to stopping common crime, whether violent crime against a person, or a property crime. As the American government grew in power and influence in a citizen's life, it destroyed the agreement between honest people to care for each other.

Today in America many citizens won't step in to protect the personal safety of their neighbors because, over the years, everyone was brainwashed by the government to give up freedom for security.

Without martial law, the government cannot, and will not act to make sure a citizen is safe from violent attack. All the government representatives can do is show up in time to make a report and try to catch the criminal.

Even America's warrior class, who refuse to leave their personal protection at the whim of a criminal, are often paralyzed by fear of the law which could see someone forced to use deadly force charged with murder, or destroyed by a lawsuit. Nearly all tactical self-defense classes geared for civilians spend as much time on how to avoid financial liability as they do on how to win a fight to the death.

Some time ago our government forgot that the American experiment fails if freedom is eroded. Unfortunately, when it comes to the right of self-defense, the government does everything possible to keep the warrior class in line. Instead, the government should empower honest people to protect each other and protect private property, since that is what society was designed to do in the first place.

The goal isn't to recreate the posse system that was popular in the Old West, but instead go back to a time when neighbors felt obligated to protect each other. Today's societal norms make honest people call 911 and hope for the best instead of acting. The stories of people attacked or left to die while others stood around watching are often painful to hear. In nearly every city in America over the last 30 years someone was viciously attacked, only to have their neighbors ignore their cries for help, or turn their back instead of stepping in to stop the attack.

So-called experts point out that it is always better to submit to a criminal, even though there is a time to fight. Yet, in America, we've lost that will, or at least a large percentage of the population has simply failed to hold up their end of the societal pact which requires them to help others in their time of need.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Adding to the apathy is the willingness of politicians to relegate the Second Amendment, and gun rights in general, to the back burner. Instead they try to sell the economy or health care as more important issues of the day.

What people who see the gun issue as secondary fail to realize is that without the right to self defense through the use of a firearm, all economic gain can be taken away.

If you choose to go through life without the option of using a gun for self defense, your safety and livelihood are at the mercy of common thugs who are devoid of compassion. Your expensive car can be taken by a carjacker, your house can be invaded by a rapist or murderer, and your ability to feel secure in your own home becomes only as strong as the lock on your front door.

As Americans, we have an obligation to stand up and be counted at a time of peril, and if that means using a gun when the boogey-man kicks down your door at 4 a.m. then so be it.

You owe it to your wife, husband, children, and parents, and loved once to do everything possible to defend their life, and their body. That means, for many Americans, owning and carrying a gun for self defense. Americans also have an obligation to go home to their loved ones at the end of the day. Without returning home, all the material possessions and all the time spent keeping up with the Jones simply doesn't matter.

Your loved ones will have the pleasure of spending your hard earned money, the displeasure of mourning your loss and the common thug who took your life will be out on parole before your children graduate from college. Politicians will continue, however, to claim that gun rights aren't a mainstream issue and that most voters aren't going to change their vote based on a candidate's position on the Second Amendment.

In a certain sense, it is a testament to the success of the American experiment that people are oblivious to the dangers posed by violent crime. Although the establishment media does a great job of trying to scare people about violent crime, most Americans still go through life believing that it only happens to other people. That is the only reason politicians try to get away with demeaning the gun issue at election time.

The simple fact is there are very few atheists in foxholes, and very few Americans who are the victim of violent crime see the gun issue as a fringe issue. Instead, people who realize that their economic success and everything they cherish can be taken by a thug devoid of mercy know that the Second Amendment is paramount.

That doesn't mean people need to go around terrified to turn the next corner in downtown middle America, it does mean people need to realize that success is best enjoyed while in good health. Leaving yourself and your family unarmed and undefended is akin to not getting yearly check-ups at the doctor, or not checking your smoke detector batteries, in that it is asking for something bad to happen.

Our societal pact to help each other has nothing to do with the government and everything to do with being honest and just Americans. Defending the right to bear arms at the ballot box, and using self defense if attacked is part of that pact. That criminal you submit to and let get away with your wallet is only one pull of the trigger from being a murderer instead of an armed robber. Leaving him to ply his heinous trade when you could have stopped it is as anti-American as the government using confiscatory policies to "spread the wealth around" or as anti-American as charging an honest person with murder if they defend their life with a firearm.

The right to bear arms is as vital to the societal pact as the rule of law – it might actually be more important since it is the firearm, carried by the police and honest citizens alike, that force some people to follow the rule of law in the first place.

To deny that right, is to deny the most fundamental part of being civilized, and voids the societal pact.

PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 12-May-2009, 01:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Submitted by cbaus on Thu, 05/07/2009 - 00:10.

* National Politics
* Education
* Guns in the News

Law abiding US citizens bought on average 3,177,256 guns every 3 months in 2008

(AmmoLand.com) In just 3 months Americans bought enough guns to outfit the entire Chinese and Indian armies combined.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."
- attributed to Isoroku Yamamoto, Fleet Admiral and Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) during World War II

You also bought 1,529,635,000 rounds of ammunition in just the month of December 2008. Yeah, that is right, that is Billion with a "B". This number takes no accounting of reloading or reloaded ammunition.

This is an evaluation of overall firearms and ammunition purchases based on low-end numbers per Federal NIC instacheck database Statistics. The numbers presented are only PART of the overall numbers of arms and ammunition that have been sold. The actual numbers are much higher.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 12-May-2009, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Toledo Mayor tells residents police can't protect them
printable page
Submitted by cbaus on Fri, 05/08/2009 - 00:10.

* Ohio Politics
* Guns in the News

By Chad D. Baus

When word of significant cuts to the Toledo police force first came out, one senior police officer issued the following recommendation to city residents:

"Buy guns. Invest in precious metals: lead, gun power and brass."

And now, Mayor Carty Finkbeiner is admitting the reason why this is such good advice:

"Violent crimes, shootings, are not ever prevented by the presence of a police officer, no matter how many thousands of police officers you have."

Saturday, May 2 marked the first full day since 75 Toledo police officers turned in their badges and guns, and according to the Toledo Blade, word of the significant cuts in the Toledo police force is on the street.

"There ain't a side of Toledo you can go where they do not know the police is going to be laid off," one resident is quoted as saying.

Toledo was one of the most anti gun cities in Ohio with one of the highest crime rates.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 12-May-2009, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Just caught this on the news.. I for one am happy to see this. There has been several times in camping I would have felt better having a loaded gun in the tent with us if needed.

Senate Backs Allowing Loaded Guns in National Parks