ZodiacAlder

Realm: The countryside around Exeter, California

male

We have four different kinds of lavendar here-
English
French
Spanish
German

They all grow very heartily and make nice additions to the garden. We just put the German variety in last year and almost lost it to the freeze, but, it pulled out of it and is doing very well this year. I might have it in the wrong place if it spreads like french lavendar- four o'clocks are surrounding it right now and we can usually get three years out of them before they die off so they will be crowding each other by fall.

--------------------
TandVh
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 28-Jun-2007, 09:46 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

My lavender is about to bloom. TandVh I also have four-o-clocks the hot pink color. There used to be yellow ones but I think I finally have pulled all of those. I never thought of putting the two together I bet thats beautiful. I put my 4-o-clocks in the window wells and they do fantastic and keep re-seeding. They have been there I would say a good ten years..They are blooming right now.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 28-Jun-2007, 08:55 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I luv lavender but I can't get it to grow. I planted some lavender seeds, only a few came up and they didn't last long...is there a secret to getting lavender to grow? Anyone have any pointers...please tell me!

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
valpal59 
Posted: 29-Jun-2007, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

I started with a plant not seeds. Planted it in full sun. The first 2 years it didn't grow much. This year it went crazy. It is big and had lots of blooms. I didn't think it would do very well in our clay soil, but it is still alive. I want to get some alot more. I love it.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 29-Jun-2007, 01:37 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi maggie and everyone.. I started with a plant also it is called a Lavadula Angustifolia and it says to plant it in full sun 18" apart Grows 12 to 18 inches. Just planted it last summer and it bloomed most of August and is now blooming. The smell is just awesome. I would say everything I have read up on it says don't over water it.
Let us know what happens...

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
TandVh 
Posted: 29-Jun-2007, 05:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The countryside around Exeter, California

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 28-Jun-2007, 09:46 AM)
My lavender is about to bloom. TandVh I also have four-o-clocks the hot pink color. There used to be yellow ones but I think I finally have pulled all of those. I never thought of putting the two together I bet thats beautiful. I put my 4-o-clocks in the window wells and they do fantastic and keep re-seeding. They have been there I would say a good ten years..They are blooming right now.

Slainte

The 4-o-clocks really want to take over so I have to thin them every once in a while- there's also some snap dragons behind the whole conflaguration- I tend to like mixed beds with a plethora of colors and types of plants grouped together.

I just put some lobelia in the front of this particular bed where a couple of marigolds died off. The kind that are radiant blue- bordering on purple- love full sun.

PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
jbarron 
Posted: 04-Sep-2008, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Denver, CO

female

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 20-Jun-2006, 06:56 AM)
Love the stuff. So much cleaner and airier in the hot weather than rose or jasmine or honeysuckle. . . Don't forget you can use it in small amounts in cooking, as in the famous Herbes de Provence mixture.

1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon marjoram
1 tablespoon summer savory
1 tablespoon thyme
1 crushed bay leaf
1 teaspoon lavender
1 teaspoon fennel

Here's a recipe for an herbed bread made with it:
Herbes de Provence Bread

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 tsp. dry yeast
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. Herbes de Provence
7 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg white; lightly beaten

Stir the first five ingredients together to dissolve the yeast, sugar and salt. Stir in the flour. Knead 10 minutes. Let rise, covered, until doubled in bulk. Punch down; knead three or four times to remove air, then divide in four equal pieces. Shape each piece into a long loaf and place in a well greased French bread pan (or form into loaf on a baking sheet) slash the top. Brush the loaves with the egg white and let rise until doubled. Bake 10 minutes in an oven preheated to 400F, then reduce the heat to 350F and bake 20 min. longer, or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove the loaves from the pans and cool on racks.

Nice for a lavendar garden lunch, eh? with a few mellow cheeses and a cool salad and some white wine, and strawberries.

For the bread, does one use only the lavender leaves?

This sounds delicious - I'd like to try it. Thank you for sharing.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 12-Sep-2008, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Thanks for posting this about lavander. I have a question. Do you dry the lavender or just use it fresh?

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
jbarron 
Posted: 15-Sep-2008, 02:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Denver, CO

female

I've only ever used the dried lavender. Good question.

Anybody?
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 31-May-2009, 02:59 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Is anyone growing lavender this year?

My lavender is coming in nicely. I was beginning to wonder. I found this recipe. Has anyone ever had anything like this? I can't make up my mind if it sounds good or not.

This lemonade recipe is from Ocean Edge Resort on Cape Cod. Learn how to make the resort's signature lemonade with lavender syrup and treat yourself to a summer delight.
Adapted from an Ocean Edge Resort press release.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup dried lavender
2 cups sugar
fresh lemon juice
water
Preparation:
To make the Lavender Syrup, boil 1/2 cup dried lavender with 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water. Strain and save in a squeeze bottle.
Next, boil equal amounts of sugar and water (i.e., 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water) to create a simple syrup.

To make Fresh Ocean Edge "Signature" Lemonade, combine one part simple syrup, one part fresh lemon juice and four parts water. Stir thoroughly.

Fill a 12-oz. glass with cracked ice, then coat ice with about 1 Tablespoon of Lavender Syrup.

Top with Signature Lemonade.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt