Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Favorite Dog Breed, For Dog Lovers!!! :-)
Bookmark and Share

Favorite Dog Breed
Labrador Retriever [ 25 ]  [45.45%]
PugWhippet [ 1 ]  [1.82%]
Great Dane [ 6 ]  [10.91%]
GreyHound [ 2 ]  [3.64%]
Shar-pai [ 3 ]  [5.45%]
RottweilerBoston Terrier [ 3 ]  [5.45%]
Afghan Hound [ 1 ]  [1.82%]
Irish Setter [ 14 ]  [25.45%]
Total Votes: 55
Guests cannot vote 
DesertRose 
Posted on 08-Dec-2003, 05:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

QUOTE (maisky @ Dec 8 2003, 08:31 AM)
The only real cure for the lonliness of losing your beloved friends is new friends.

The pictures will require my doing battle with the scanner. I have had it for 6 years and never had occasion to use it. No time like the present.... cry.gif

I totally agree. And that is always what I have done whenver I have lost a furry friend, is to seek out another!

Have fun with the scanner! I can't live without mine!

Does anybody's dog have strange habits and behaviors they find funny? My dogs like to tear up napkins that are dropped on the floor. But the funniest is pillow licking! Yep, you read right. Whenever we get up from bed and start taking showers and getting dressed to go out somewhere, they will jump up on the bed and start licking our pillows! unsure.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted on 08-Dec-2003, 06:00 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

cry.gif

Why do these conversations always get to this?

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted on 08-Dec-2003, 06:22 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

hehe, Rose, well, I worked with the dogs psyche in doing so, because he would get snapped at under other dogs if he doesn't do his part. A slap is much less painful (especially with all that fur and skin) than a bite.
I mean you have experience with dogs as well, and you should know how it works in a whole "herd" (forgot the right word) actually. And it is sooo hard to make a 60kg dog surrender by throwing him on his back and grab his throat, although I did that as well.
I got him to stop eating hís own paws in the end and he listens to every word I say, even a whispered one (I hate shouting after dogs), and I know that he is treated right because he gives me back what I give him. In the time my parents split up he was one of the things in my life that were stable and there for me, together with my brother, my horse and Craig. And I know what a fine dog I had with him.

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted on 08-Dec-2003, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey! Aon! good to see you! Yeah, I know what you mean and you are right. A slap is much better than trying to roll over a dog on it's back. I tried that once on one of my other dogs and got bit! unsure.gif I have also heard to take the dog by the scruff of the neck like their moms would and shake them a little to scold them.
maisky 
Posted on 08-Dec-2003, 09:56 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Dec 8 2003, 05:25 PM)

Does anybody's dog have strange habits and behaviors they find funny? My dogs like to tear up napkins that are dropped on the floor. But the funniest is pillow licking! Yep, you read right. Whenever we get up from bed and start taking showers and getting dressed to go out somewhere, they will jump up on the bed and start licking our pillows! unsure.gif

Good question. My moose is into watching tv and commenting on the programs. She barks at bad commercials and cats. The best is when there is someone doing violence to a woman. She lunges at the TV and offers to eat the offender. She is VERY protective of my wife. Lions on tv infuriate her, too. She KNOWS she can whip them. After all, they are only 6 inches tall...... biggrin.gif

Also, she snatches napkins right off the table. She will ignore the steak on the plate to snatch the used napkin next to the plate. She is very dainty about it. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
DesertRose 
Posted on 08-Dec-2003, 10:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Maisky! Your girl watches TV? I think that is so amazing when I hear that people's dogs do that. Mine could care less!

Both mine know when daddy is about to come home and retreat to the front bedroom to wait for him drive up then tell him off for having left them for the day! biggrin.gif Teddy Bear tries to bite daddy in the bum when he is leaving for work cause he doesn't want him to leave! laugh.gif

Nikki loves to retreive toys and if I am not in the mood to throw, he keeps bringing me different toys until there is a big pile and I succumb. Funny thing is he is scared to death of a frisbee....go figure! rolleyes.gif
Keltic 
Posted on 09-Dec-2003, 12:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

Now all of you can find out what your dog has been trying to tell you. The Dog Translator

--------------------
andylucy 
Posted on 09-Dec-2003, 01:39 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Dec 7 2003, 05:01 PM)

If there is one type I definitly don't like it's alsatians/German Shephards and Dalmatians. Far too overbred, Dalmatians are plain nervous and Alsatians can be very vicious. Most of the accidents happening with dogs in Germany have to do with Alsatians.

(My brother's best friend was attacked by an Alsatian my uncle was training at that time. The dog had showed nervous behaviour before and all that were present agree on the fact that there was no agressive behaviour was coming from the child. Not even from his body language. The dog was put down after that incident.)

I have been involved in training, breeding, showing and working German Shepherds for almost 20 years. I currently have 4 working German Shepherds who have never shown one iota of aggression towards another dog or a person. Why? Because I exhaustively research the bloodline of any dog before I even consider acquiring it. Then I perform puppy drive tests on the entire litter to determine which dog will be the best suited to my purposes (search and rescue, cadaver recovery or water recovery). My dogs get worked every day, thereby ensuring that their drives are satisfied. wink.gif I only use bitches, primarily because they don't get as big a males do, and that is important if you are abseiling into a rubble pit to do a cadaver search. smile.gif

I too have seen entirely too many breeds which have been overbred. Most Irish Setters wouldn't know how to hunt birds to save their lives. Most German Shepherds wouldn't know what to do with a sheep. This overbreeding leads to unstable temperments if the breeder is not careful in his selection of dam and sire. But it is ultimately the buyers responsibility to check the pedigree of the animal, and to research the bloodlines before purchasing the dog. Caveat emptor. Yes breeders should be much more careful, but ...

My rule of thumb for working GSD's is a paraphrase of a line from Chariots of Fire, "You can't put in what God's left out." If there isn't a good drive and stable personality born into the dog, no amount of training will replace what wasn't there to begin with. thumbs_up.gif

Just my tuppence.

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
  Posted on 09-Dec-2003, 09:42 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (andylucy @ Dec 9 2003, 01:39 AM)

Because I exhaustively research the bloodline of any dog before I even consider acquiring it. Then I perform puppy drive tests on the entire litter to determine which dog will be the best suited to my purposes (search and rescue, cadaver recovery or water recovery). My dogs get worked every day, thereby ensuring that their drives are satisfied. wink.gif I only use bitches, primarily because they don't get as big a males do, and that is important

Good point about puppy selection. A lot depends on what you want. Celtic Rose does rescue to produce friends and compatable family members. A serious working German Shephard is obviously a bird of a different feather (err, a dog of different fur?). I want a highly trained medical companion dog for my wife (epileptic). I travel a lot. I would never consider getting anything but a new puppy with carefully traced parentage. Training is intense for the new puppy. The daily effort with the pup pays off big time when they get big. I also only want a **TOS VIOLATION**, partly because they don't have the tendency to wander and are better companions. I chose a Chessy because of the intelligence, serious attitude and controlled aggressiveness. The Dump is part friend and companion and part bodyguard.

oldraven 
Posted on 09-Dec-2003, 10:01 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Agreed, andylucy. All you need is to find one with a good temperment, and be very strict with the dog's training. Aon's got a point. A lot of these popular large breeds have bad reputations for crossness if they are overbred, or poorly trained/treated. Any dog, and I mean any, can go cross if you beat it. And pack dogs can all be trained to be vicious. Thus the security dogs. But just know, this is not true for all of these dogs. They can be the most gentle and loving dogs you've ever met, if you meet the right dog.

I raised my shepheard with an iron fist and a velvet glove. Very strict training, never letting her get away with something, but not hurting her when she's being diceplined. Shame works better anyway. Which is why I agree with the method of fliping your dog over on it's back to expose its stomach. Ange can't do this, and I haven't had to in months, but I know I can if I have to. She always submits, so I don't have to worry about biting. And if you say it, only say it once. There's nothing worse than when a dog ignores you. They hear you, they're trying to look like the boss is all. Say it once, then make them do it. And you don't have to be mean, just stern.

Just make sure you catch them in the act, and they know why they're bad.

If you guys want to stop your dogs from begging and eating your napkins, simply don't let them in the room, or within eyesight, of the table when you eat. And NEVER feed your dog people food. EVER! If it doesn't have a dog on the box, it doesn't go in the dogs tummy. Have you ever seen a dog with major health issues from eating table scraps? It's not pretty, and not cheap. The poor things have to be on a strict boiled hamburger and rice diet for ages.

blahblahblahblah
Raven 
Posted on 09-Dec-2003, 10:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

When I was just learning to play guitar we had a tiny toy poodle named Nikki that was very critical of any mistakes and she also was a back seat driver tongue.gif

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
oldraven 
Posted on 09-Dec-2003, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (maisky @ Dec 9 2003, 07:42 AM)
I also only want a **TOS VIOLATION**,

laugh.gif
maisky 
Posted on 09-Dec-2003, 11:01 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ Dec 9 2003, 10:06 AM)
laugh.gif

Gee, I didn't know we were being sensored. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING. I used the correct term for a female dog. I am in trouble now. Tom Ridge may be coming to get me! (paranoid music) eek.gif
oldraven 
Posted on 09-Dec-2003, 11:06 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Somehow, I think they'll understand. wink.gif
DesertRose 
Posted on 09-Dec-2003, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

I agree with NEVER feeding your dog with people food. I never do. However, all they have to do is smell pizza and they are begging! But they don't get any. I have never had to roll the two Shelties I have now on their back to disipline them, but I had one Sheltie in the past who was a bit aggressive and I had to do it several times and one time he bit me! But I learned later he was suffering from a terminal disease and the dog was probably in a lot of pain that I didn't even know about; hence, his aggression.

I love German Shepherds. I think they are awesome dogs.

Raven! A back seat driver doggie? laugh.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt