Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Favorite Dog Breed, For Dog Lovers!!! :-)
Bookmark and Share

Favorite Dog Breed
Labrador Retriever [ 25 ]  [45.45%]
PugWhippet [ 1 ]  [1.82%]
Great Dane [ 6 ]  [10.91%]
GreyHound [ 2 ]  [3.64%]
Shar-pai [ 3 ]  [5.45%]
RottweilerBoston Terrier [ 3 ]  [5.45%]
Afghan Hound [ 1 ]  [1.82%]
Irish Setter [ 14 ]  [25.45%]
Total Votes: 55
Guests cannot vote 
maisky 
  Posted on 07-Dec-2003, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (Celeste of the Stars1 @ Dec 5 2003, 11:26 AM)
My mom and grandma both have great pyrenese. I think it's stupid to have a dog like that in Florida. My stepdad had an Alaskin Malamute (SP?) when I was younger. Another bad dog to have there.

These are NOT bad dogs to keep in Floridia if you are careful to keep them shaved bald! tongue.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
maisky 
  Posted on 07-Dec-2003, 07:45 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

Celtic Rose, your babies are BEAUTIFUL! The sheep dog breeds are wonderful, intelligent companions. The ranch I was raised on ran sheep bands (if you can use run and sheep in the same thought). The sheep dogs were amazing.
DesertRose 
Posted on 07-Dec-2003, 05:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

I have seen the Shelties and the Border Collies in action with sheep and cattle and they are amazing. I was thinking too that these breeds are not good for Arizona either with the intense heat outside, but my dogs are indoor dogs with air conditioning and I have plenty of tile in my house that keeps them cool. I also give them summer hair cuts. smile.gif My only complaint about them is that they are very verbal.......bark at the birds outside flying by even! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted on 07-Dec-2003, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

Rose, yours are real cuties.

mmh I don't know, they are so intelligent (because they are working dogs) you have to keep them busy.

My dad has my dog now, a Rottweiler which I love alot. Shorty is great, you can leave him alone for a while no problem, he will wait for you patiently and still be on the same spot where you left him because he trusts you that you will come back and not leave him. (Which is funny, he has been abandoned and I have him from a kennel)
I know that he had been abandoned, and I couldn't do quarantine to him. It would be hell for the poor dog.

I'm dreaming of getting a South African Ridgeback (yes, dogs under the size of a 50cm shoulder are no dogs for me!), another breed I just love. And maybe a great Dane, there is one living on our street who is just such a beauty! He's nightblack and his built is a dream.

Actually, I think I want a whole litter of dogs, I want at least one of them rascal scruffy looking terriers as well, as long as he keeps his gob shut wink.gif I can't stand yappy wee things.

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted on 07-Dec-2003, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

actually, I have to say, I like basically all dogs, apart from yappy ones, nervous ones (especially with their teeth). Although Pit's are great, brought up in the right way. When I was a child I had my left arm ripped open by my granddads dog, a terrier, maybe that explains why I don't like them as much.

If there is one type I definitly don't like it's alsatians/German Shephards and Dalmatians. Far too overbred, Dalmatians are plain nervous and Alsatians can be very vicious. Most of the accidents happening with dogs in Germany have to do with Alsatians. Not that I don't like one or two of them, my uncle trains dogs, and I met a great variety of them, but in my mind those two are the most overbred dogs (plus greyhounds) you can get. Dobermans are too nervous as well.

Due to overbreeding I count alot of dogs out as Family dogs, I met alot of dogs and also I met alot of pedigree dogs that were put down after they attacked a child. (My brother's best friend was attacked by an Alsatian my uncle was training at that time. The dog had showed nervous behaviour before and all that were present agree on the fact that there was no agressive behaviour was coming from the child. Not even from his body language. The dog was put down after that incident.)
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted on 07-Dec-2003, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

I have a very good friend who has a Great Dane that is an awesome, most beautiful dog. Despite her massive size, she is the most gentle, loving dog. They are very impressive.

Yep, you are right about my dogs and the Border Collies. They can get themselves into trouble if left alone for too long as they get bored. Because of their inteligence you have to keep them busy. mine like to run outside from one end of the house to the other barking at all the activity outside. I only let them out there when it is cool. They love indoors, but get bored and want to be outside chasing the kids on bikes. Luckily I have a fenced in yard! Indoors, we throw toys and retrieve a lot. They have a whole big basket full of toys! Real mistreated babes, eh? wink.gif laugh.gif
Aon_Daonna 
Posted on 07-Dec-2003, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

well.. as long as they are happy and occupied? *grins*

I know alot of ppl that mistreat their dogs by carrying them around in their handbags and dressing them in weird clothes, feeding them delicatessen from their own plate...

to the fencing: another uncle of mine has a very big house as well as a big garden and this year his dog (a Münsterländer) started to jump over the fence and chase things on his own. He actually started that while I was looking after the bloody dogs of theirs...
He stayed out for about 3 hours and then came back looking all miserable having himself rolled in horsedirt or something like that.
They have an electrical fence now.. he jumped only once more wink.gif

that's the thing about animals, you can't really punish them AFTER something is done, you have to do it in the second, they won't know what they did wrong in teh first place if you punish them afterwards.
That electrical fencing was a great idea, because he got the shock in the second he tried jumping that fence (which is about 1,5m high!).
It's not as barbaric as it sounds wink.gif it keeps him in, and away from that fence.
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted on 07-Dec-2003, 06:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Yeah! Aon... before we bought this house, we had another house where there was no fencing and I looking into those electical fences. But then we ended up moving to this house. It is a high 6 ft brick wall and no Sheltie is going to jump over that! wink.gif laugh.gif But I do think the electrical fencing is a great idea and seems to work well I have heard.

I noticed that is the new trend now is to carry your dog in a handbag! Sheesh! Please!

I believe the same as you about punishing a dog. I NEVER hit my dogs at all! If they do something wrong, like get into the trash (they love that) all I have to do is give them a dirty look and say "bad boy" at the time and they turn away with a guilty but sad look on their face! rolleyes.gif

They can be pretty hysterical sometimes. I have a wrapped present for them under the tree and one morning, I heard all this racket. One of them had pulled their gift out from under the tree and was trying to open it! He knew which present was his! angel_not.gif
Aon_Daonna 
Posted on 07-Dec-2003, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

hehe, you don't believe how long it took me to get shorty as far as I wanted to *rolls eyes*
Rotties are pretty stubborn and he was one of the worst of them! I have alot of experience with dogs and he was really testing me!
Saying Bad Boy didn't do just anything. I had to work really hard with body language and I know that I slapped him a few times (after repeated verbal warnings - I hate doing that!). He had quite a few neuroses when I first got him, he must have been treated badly before.
But lateron when he got stubborn again I just had to raise my voice a nuance and he would be nice. He just had to learn that a good dog listens to me, a dumb dog doesnt (which means that dumb dogs get into trouble)...
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted on 07-Dec-2003, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Aon... Both the present Shelties I have now were rescue dogs and abused. So they came to me with a few neuroses as well. So that is one reason why I never slap them. It took awhile for them to get over bad habits and neuroses they had learned. Plus, Shelties are very sensitive dogs and do much better with positive reinforcement. Me giving them "the look of death", saying "Bad Dog" and afterwards giving them praise to let them know they are still loved seems to work the best! laugh.gif All dog personalities are different and one has to understand their particular breed to know how to work with them. Sounds like you do that very well. smile.gif
maisky 
Posted on 07-Dec-2003, 08:48 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

Not a great picture, but here is what I have on disk. She is still just a baby in this picture. Now she is almost 7 years old and 100 lbs.

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
DesertRose 
Posted on 07-Dec-2003, 09:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh how sweet! Is that daddy in the picture with Maisky too? wink.gif smile.gif

Mine are getting old now. Teddy bear is 13 and Nikki is 9 now. sad.gif The average life span of a Sheltie is 13 to 16. I have never had one live past 13. sad.gif sad.gif
maisky 
Posted on 07-Dec-2003, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

It is true that dealing with the mortality of loved ones is hard. The four legs no less so than the others. The Dump, at 7 is classified as a "Senior". She takes arthritis medicine in the morning. We take long walks every day, rain or shine (Brrrr!), even in the winter. However long her life is, her quality of life will be as good as we can make it. I will have to haul my lazy person to the shed and find the scanner and figure out how to scan some additional picures.
DesertRose 
Posted on 08-Dec-2003, 12:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh! It has been so hard to lose every Sheltie I have had (only breed I have ever had). Each time I have gone in the exam room at the vet and watched them have to put them down because of some terminal illness. It was heart-wrenching and I would stand there and cry for half hour. But I feel good that I was there when they were alive and well with me and there while they were passing onto doggie heaven! I dread the days when I have to put these two down as I am more attached to them than I was the others. maybe it's because they were so abused before I got them and they have come a long ways out of their neuroses. They totally trust me and are very loyal to me and that feels good.

On a happier note! I am looking forward seeing more pics of Maisky! I want to see other doggie pics too! smile.gif
maisky 
Posted on 08-Dec-2003, 08:31 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Dec 8 2003, 12:12 AM)
Oh! It has been so hard to lose every Sheltie I have had (only breed I have ever had). Each time I have gone in the exam room at the vet and watched them have to put them down because of some terminal illness. It was heart-wrenching and I would stand there and cry for half hour. But I feel good that I was there when they were alive and well with me and there while they were passing onto doggie heaven! I dread the days when I have to put these two down as I am more attached to them than I was the others. maybe it's because they were so abused before I got them and they have come a long ways out of their neuroses. They totally trust me and are very loyal to me and that feels good.

On a happier note! I am looking forward seeing more pics of Maisky! I want to see other doggie pics too! smile.gif

The only real cure for the lonliness of losing your beloved friends is new friends.

The pictures will require my doing battle with the scanner. I have had it for 6 years and never had occasion to use it. No time like the present.... cry.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt