Bookmark and Share
tamara 
Posted: 11-Jan-2006, 11:56 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

female

Hi everyone, I'm new and my search for a round celtic garden planted with different flowers which open each hour of the day led me here. Has anyone heard of this? If you have, would you please forward the link to me at
[email protected] . I'm looking to put this on St. James Episcopal Chuch grounds, Alpine, TX, USA. Thanks so much!

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 12-Jan-2006, 10:17 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Hi Tamara,

That sounds like a wonderful project, that everyone will enjoy watching! I wish you all success with it. There are a couple of questions I need to ask. First, what gardening zone is the Church in? Is this garden going to be in full sun, partial shade, or full shade? What are the soil conditions? How large an area do you have for the garden?

I live in Zone 6, but in the Northeast. There are a few plants here that I've learned can generally be relied upon to open at specific times each day. Our Evening Primrose (yellow, cupped blooms, about 3 ft. tall) usually open at 6:oo pm. I love Nicotiana alata, and it opens at dusk (8:00ish), as do Moon Flowers (large white blooms, very fragrant, but also toxic - be careful!). My mother told me that Four-O-Clocks got their name because they always do open at 4:00, and I've discovered that's very true! They're great flowers, because they thrive with little attention,and reseed themselves quite well. I remember reading about a flower that would be fully open at 12:00 noon, begin closing at 4:00, and be closed for the night at 6:00, but for the life of me I can't remember which one it was now! unsure.gif It's been a while, and I'd borrowed the book from our library. Wish I could remember that one! I think that daylilies also do something like that, though, if you would have room for them.

We really need Arianrod to help you! She's very knowledgable about these things. You may also want to try your library for ideas, or a good local gardening center that you trust. I'll see what else I can find, too.

I love the idea! Good luck with the research. I'm sure you'll hear from other gardeners here, too!

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
tamara 
Posted: 12-Jan-2006, 11:48 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

female

Dear Dreamer1,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am in zone 9, bordering zone 10 in the Chihuahua mountains at about 5,000 feet high. The altitude is what makes our winters about 10 degrees cooler than at sea level about 100 miles south at the border of the Chihuahuan/Sonoron deserts. The soil is not great but we plan to have it tilled and enriched by the landscapers I use at the apartments I manage. One of them is a degreed landscape designer and I do know a master nurseryman or two. It will be partial shade but we should be pruning the overhanging trees now because in the 10 yrs. I've been there I do not recall us doing it once properly. I haven't been out with a tape measure but I will let you know.

I hope that gives you a better picture. I plan to save your response and any others I receive and take them back to the group.

We have to keep in mind fund-raising as well and I had thought to have a lovely display of the plants we use on the day of our Blessing the Garden and Grand "Flowering". Since we will be there for several hours that day, I had also thought of maybe selling a few source books and CDs we plan to play. If anybody has any other ideas, please let me know because this Garden will be plenty expensive. Thanks, Tamara
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt