Posted: 16-Dec-2005, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Isthmus, Keeper of the Holy Barbecue
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Republica de Panamá

male

I am just curious (and somewhat bored at the moment) and just wanted to ask how many folks had ever considered emigrating to a new country.

In the past there has been some general discussion around this place with folks mentioning their desire to emigrate to different places and I was just hoping to stimulate a little conversation along those lines.

Just for your information, I am a resident of Panama, and have been now for over ten years. I take part in some other internet discussion groups concerning aspects of living in Panama, and central america and am constantly amazed at some of the things people ask and their attitudes.

Leo cool.gif

--------------------

Consistency. It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunatley it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz

"No matter where you go, there you are." - R. Young

¡Visté! ¡Te lo dijé!
PMEmail Poster               
ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 16-Dec-2005, 05:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Tempe, Arizona USA

female

I have seriously considered a move (and still am). My sister, bro-in-law and four nephews have been in Australia for almost 8 years. So, it would not be out of the question for someone in my family to move. Of course, I'd like to end up in Scotland not Austrailia. I've got friends over there & I think I could get used to the cold! smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Perkeo 
  Posted: 16-Dec-2005, 07:59 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Drink
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #1
2,799,574 Gold!

King of CelticRadio!

Clan: AWARE

The only other country I would like to live in would be Ireland. I've always wanted to go there. I have my pasport but not the money yet. wink.gif

--------------------
Member since 2004
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 16-Dec-2005, 08:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

The idea has crossed my mind to get dual citizenship, but then I asked myself why... I've studied it, and if I spent enough time in a given other country then it might be worthwhile. However, while I was in Ireland I thought about a what-if of moving there. I decided then that, as nice as the place is, America is home!

I wouldn't mind going to another country to work or study for a few months. But I'd want to come home within 5 years, definately.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Maddie 
Posted: 17-Dec-2005, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacBirch

female

I have emigrated and I can assure it's not that easy or the grass is not always greener, you may find brown patches here and there.

I don' t regret having moved at all but you need to be aware of what you might getting into and be prepared for all kinds of mischief.

The stories I could tell about immigration to the US would fill books, at least one book. laugh.gif

Much depends on whether it's you moving all alone and having a family already there (friends may not do!) or moving with a family. Many couples without children manage to spend a long term vacation in the new country rather than truly integrating themselves. If your move is work related, think about your spouse who will have to carry the brunt of it.

Just a couple of thoughts.
PMEmail Poster               
Herrerano 
Posted: 19-Dec-2005, 08:18 AM
Quote Post

Lord of the Isthmus, Keeper of the Holy Barbecue
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Republica de Panamá

male

Hi Maddie,

It's the old saying, "No matter where you go, there you are."

And you're right, family over friends, friends are there one day and gone the next.

Leo cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Eiric 
Posted: 19-Dec-2005, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Son of the Seven Seas and Keeper of the Holy Key
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Sweden, but me heart's in Scotland - An t-Suain, ach tha mo chridhe às ann Alba

male

I have seriously considered moving from Sweden to Scotland, Wales or Ireland, or even southern Germany, since I am somewhat bored here in Sweden where nothing happens and everything connected to my bad memories are. I was considering applying for dual citizenship in United Kingdom - because I do love that Island(s) but I wouldn't like to have a German citizenship - sorry! Besides, I do not need one since both Sweden and Germany are members of the EU.

--------------------
Anam Ceilteach

About Indigenous Peoples
If you ever needed a Gàidhlig dictionary

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever

Tha gach uile dhuine air a bhreth saor agus co-ionnan ann an urram 's ann an c̣irichean. Tha iad air am breth le reusan is le cogais agus mar sin bu cḥir dhaibh a bhith bẹ nam measg fhein ann an spiorad bràthaireil

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever
PMEmail Poster               
Celtic cat 
Posted: 19-Dec-2005, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Florida

female

How does one move to a country, specifically Scotland, for only two years and then move back to America?

--------------------
*~Extinction is Forever~*

"For Those Who Can't Speak, We Must" -Tiger Creek
http://www.tigercreek.org/

"Man is born free, but is everywhere in chains."
~Jean-Jacques Rousseau

*Cha shoirbh triubhas a chur air cat.
It’s not easy to put trews on a cat.* CR

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 19-Dec-2005, 11:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Tempe, Arizona USA

female

Yah, as with any move...needs to be planned out carefully before the move. My Auzzie family hold dual citizenship but had to be there 7 years before they could apply. They moved for job reasons, my b-i-l was transferred so the co he works for sponsored them.

Not sure how you would go about just staying a couple of years it would depend on why you are going school/training or whatever and the visa you are given...you can find out more on the passport website...I googled it and you can find all sorts of things there!

Dreams...ah...nice aren't they???
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Raven 
Posted: 20-Dec-2005, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

I've thought about retiring in Belize because it is warmer and the few pesos I have saved would go further their.

Plus I am really enjoying learning Spanish smile.gif

I could also start an Irish Mariache band.

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
stoirmeil 
Posted: 20-Dec-2005, 02:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I have dreams of Scotland, but I also try to keep track realistically of the problems that country is facing, economically and socially and with regard to medical care especially. I also try to assess what it is I might have to offer Scotland professionally as a permanent resident, and I'm afraid that is more likely to be related to the problems of the country, so that's another bite out of the Brigadoon mystique. I know what Maddie means about extended vacations that stretch on for years because the people (especially those without kids) never really become integrated -- I spent a year in Germany years ago, and most of my contacts were American or British embassy people. I didn't even get that good at speaking German, a wasted opportunity I still regret.

Honestly, I don't know if I will ever do it. I have also to factor in my own relative hardiness and age (Scotland is not for wimps, at least not the parts I admire smile.gif ), but I still dream of waking up to the sound of the Inner Hebridean sea and not traffic, and at least some gaidhlig instead of this constant mix of english and spanish and arabic and chinese and you name it. The day I said "Hey, there's 8 million people in New York, and only 5 million in all of Scotland -- what the hell am I doing HERE??!!" was the day I lost part of myself to that dream, and so far I haven't waked up from it.
PMEmail Poster               
Arien 
Posted: 20-Dec-2005, 07:03 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacVine

Realm: Amateria in the West

female

I have thought about going to Scotland for a few months as a guest worker or something after I finally finish school but I don't know how to go about it.
America is very much my home but I would like to spend enough time in Scotland to really immerse myself in the culture and not feel so much like a tacky American tourist. I would love to spend time going to all the villages my ancestors were from.

--------------------
"'Mercy!" Cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?'

'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and over-heaven and of the sundering seas,' laughed Pippin. 'Of course! What less? But I am not in a hurry tonight."

~The Two Towers, JRR Tolkein
PMEmail Poster               
bob4328 
Posted: 08-Jan-2006, 07:31 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacOak

male

I fantasize about living in the Highlands for six months of the year and then back to California for six months on a rotating basis. I am retired and could probably afford to do it except for the air fare twice a year which would add up over time.

I have also thought about just moving there cold turkey...back to the country of my ancestors...but realisticly that would be the equivilent (almost) of passing away as far as family and friends are concerned in America.

I guess the best I can hope for is a long vacation there in the near future. At least a month. Then go back every few years for a month or six weeks. Best of both worlds eh? Anyway that is the plan.
PMEmail Poster               
MiLadyCeilidh 
Posted: 17-Jan-2006, 11:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: The Buckeye State

female

Would love to go HOME to Scotland. BUT, with the way things are there. I think I will stay here in the USA where it is cheaper.

--------------------
Cuimhnich na daoine ̣n d'thàinig thu!
Gun cuireadh do Chupa thairis le Slainte agus sonas!
PMEmail Poster               
bob4328 
Posted: 17-Jan-2006, 04:10 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacOak

male

MiLady,
Have you ever lived there? You say HOME to Scotland in your post. If not have you visited? If so where? I am very interested in learning how to do a proper trip to the Highlands. Fly to Glasgow...take a train to Ft. William...Rent a car...where to stay... how much things cost... all that stuff. I can tell that my US money is only worth about half of what it is worth here. Reading about twenty dollar hamburger dinners sort of gets your attention. I welcome input from you and any others on the board.
Bob
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]