Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> M. C. Beaton, Hamish Macbeth series...
Bookmark and Share
ArizonaAmy9 
  Posted: 20-Dec-2005, 12:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Tempe, Arizona USA

female

Hi fellow readers...I just wanted to know if any of you have heard of or read this series? They are mystery all set in Scotland. I picked up the book - Death Of An Outsider last night at my local library for 25cents in the used book section. It looks interesting, isn't very long and well...set in Scotland, need I say more? Just wondered if any of you might know the series or author. Also writes a series by the name of Agatha Raisin. Feel free to tell me more. I am on my way to Google right now. I'll let you know what I think when I am done! Happy reading... wink.gif

--------------------
[email protected]
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 25-Dec-2005, 04:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Hey Amy! I have not heard of the books, but I know very well about the BBC television series. Are the stories closely related?

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 08-Jan-2006, 03:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

This is the one I read. I thought it was very good, and it's one of those fun ones in which the murdered guy is such a hateful wart that everyone there has a good reason to pop him, even the detective. tongue.gif

* Death of a Nag
A forgotten North Sea resort is a place to get away from everything. Except murder.

Lochdubh constable Hamish Macbeth is more dour than ever after losing both his promotion and his girl, the lovely Priscilla Halburton-Smythe. A trip to a charming seaside inn whith his dog Towser is meant to raise his sagging spirits. Instead, he arrives at "Friendly House" to find the ambiance chilling, the food inedible, and his fellow guests less than neighbourly.

There's an amorous spinster, two tarty girls, a retired military man, a secretive London family, and Bob Harris, who so nags his wife, Doris, that everyone wants to kill him. Then somebody does. Soon Macbeth is called upon to act -- to dig into the past and deep into the heart to deliver something more daunting than merely the culprit: Justice.

Here's a link to descriptions of her other novels:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~blinda/hmobbook.htm
PMEmail Poster               
susieq76 
Posted: 01-Feb-2006, 08:46 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

I picked up one of the Agatha Raisin books on recommendation, and was very UN-impressed with it. So much so that I will not pick up another in that series or probably any others she has written. But I am one of those folks who doesn't think that authors are clever, funny, or "edgy" by filling their books with cuss words and nasty things. I think that just makes them bad writers, IMHO. There seems to be such a shock-value to modern writing these days, where if an author hasn't used the f-word in the last 10 sentences, then they aren't doing their job. I am not sure why that is, but it is getting harder and harder to find books as wonderfully written as they used to be.

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt