Posted: 10-Dec-2005, 01:19 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri, USA

female

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7]

I am an avid reader searching for book titles and authors whose main subject is mysteries set in Scotland, Ireland or England and Wales either ancient or modern times. I am writing my own ghost story as I can't find many that appeal to me. Too many are more horror than mystery.

--------------------
[SIZE=14][COLOR=blue][FONT=Arial][QUOTE]
OLD LASSIE
undefined
[LIST]
[/LIST]
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 10-Dec-2005, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Hi! I know these are most likely not what you have in mind, but here are a couple of ideas for you.

A few years ago, my daughter went through a spell where she enjoyed reading Nacny Drew mysteries which she checked out from the school library. She borrowed one that I ended up reading myself. It was called The Mystery of the Whistling Bagpipes. It was set in Scotland, and what I liked about it was that the Scottish Gaelic language played an important role in the mystery's solution.

Another thing you might be interested in is a novel which inspired a made-for-tv movie. Remember Murder She Wrote with Angela Lansbury? Well, even though the series ended, a couple of years ago there was a tv movie made based on the series called Murder She Wrote: The Celtic Riddle. Apparently, the movie was based on a novel by Lyn Hamilton. Here is a link to a review of the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330664/

Hope these help! (Even if they probably aren't exactly what you had in mind! wink.gif )

--------------------
Sln agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tr mo chridhe. 'S i Gidhlig cnan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
oldlassie 
Posted: 10-Dec-2005, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri, USA

female

Thanks for the reply, funny you mention Nancy Drew, I read them all as a young girl and see they are out again. I prefer British writers, however and have gone through many authors seeking what I want. I have read hundreds and hundreds of mysteries and I am afraid I have become a bit bored with what is out there, I recently started Agatha Christie all over again. Read those in My teens and twenties. Any thoughts are welcome and I appreciate the ideas.

Old Lassie
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 11-Dec-2005, 11:03 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Hi Oldlassie, and welcome to the forums!

Have you read any of Anne Perry's books? She writes incredible mysteries set in Victorian London. Her books are some of the best I've ever read - there is so much detail in every aspect, every character, each setting/location and she describes the whole Victorian society so well, both for good and bad, that you could easily feel/smell/hear/sense all of what is happening in each mystery, as though you were standing there, watching. Absolutely incredible. She herself lives way up in northern Scotland, along the coast I think. I can't tell you which book to begin with, but you should start with her earlier books because references are often made to things that occurred in previous books and her characters' relationships with each other are continued from one book to the next. There are some interesting twists and ripples even there.

Hope this helps you. Again, I'm glad you've joined us all!

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach, he whispered, your face is my heart. -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Dreamer1 
Posted: 11-Dec-2005, 11:05 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Hi Oldlassie, and welcome to the forums!

Have you read any of Anne Perry's books? She writes incredible mysteries set in Victorian London. Her books are some of the best I've ever read - there is so much detail in every aspect, every character, each setting/location and she describes the whole Victorian society so well, both for good and bad, that you could easily feel/smell/hear/sense all of what is happening in each mystery, as though you were standing there, watching. Absolutely incredible. She herself lives way up in northern Scotland, along the coast I think. I can't tell you which book to begin with, but you should start with her earlier books because references are often made to things that occurred in previous books and her characters' relationships with each other are continued from one book to the next. There are some interesting twists and ripples even there.

Hope this helps you. Again, I'm glad you've joined us all!

Dreamer1
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 20-Dec-2005, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Tempe, Arizona USA

female

Hiya! You might want to look into M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series. They are mystery and in Scotland. I just picked up my first book and am about to put in a thread. Worth a try. I have only just started it but I'll report back to you when I am done! Good luck!

--------------------
[email protected]
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
celticfire 
Posted: 20-Dec-2005, 01:18 PM
Quote Post

Idle Dreamer
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

female

Hi oldlassie,
I know of a few teen books that may describe what you're looking for--there is the Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier (really fantastic books that is sort of mystery-fantasy in ancient Ireland. Also Tamsin by Peter S. Beagle; it's a ghost mystery in present-day English countryside. Hope these help!
-celticfire

--------------------
My heart's in the highlands
My heart is not here
My heart's in the highlands
A-chasing the deer
--Robert Burns

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is cel.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

Gluais faicilleach le cupan ln.
Go carefully with a full cup.
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 20-Dec-2005, 01:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

this is probably obvious.....but I'm sure you have read all of the Arthur Conan Doyle books?

I too read all of the Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen, Hardy Boy, etc.... books as a wee lad growin up tongue.gif

I am curretnly working my way through the Alphabet Mysteries A is for Alibi Etc...

But I would like to find some mysteries with more substance if anyone has suggestions. I really liked the JP Beaumont series albeit corny but fun.

Slinte

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
stoirmeil 
Posted: 20-Dec-2005, 05:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (ArizonaAmy9 @ 20-Dec-2005, 12:29 PM)
Hiya! You might want to look into M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series. They are mystery and in Scotland.

Oh, yes! I read one of these recently -- strange story with a lot of odd little twists, very atmospheric, where almost everyone has a motive for offing the victim (who starts out alive), and you really get to like the detective and his highland home town and all their quirks. I say good.

For atmosphere (England, not Scotland . . . except for the one called Five Red Herrings, which is set in the highlands), and for the most incredible character delineations, often howlingly funny even for the characters that only make small appearances, you cannot do better than Dorothy Sayers, who was writing between the two world wars about basically her own times. Nobody is safe from her often satirical eye -- from the nobility to the country folk to the ministry to the world of Oxford academe. She had a few detective character series, I believe, but the character that people love fanatically is Lord Peter Wimsey. Her classic The Nine Tailors, which is set in the English fen country and is organized around both the literal reality and the metaphor of English change-ringing of bells in church towers -- believe it, even the bells themselves are key figures in the plot -- is widely held to be the best british mystery of its kind ever written. Lord Peter has a valet named Bunter who is his partner in detection and has a personality that is worth the price of admission all by itself. biggrin.gif

Also -- I have not read, but have heard favorably of, a series by Peter Tremayne about a 7th century Irish nun called Sister Fidelma who solves mysteries. Apparently she's got a big fan following:
http://www.sisterfidelma.com/society.html

You'll also want to look at the Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters, set in 12th century England (the brother is a Welshman). These are incomparable.
http://www.wellscs.com/ann/reading/cadfael.htm
PMEmail Poster               
Boadiccea 
Posted: 25-Jan-2006, 10:06 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacElder

Realm: Asheville, NC

female

In the Keep of Time by Margaret J. Anderson.

--------------------
~Slainte Mhath~
PMEmail Poster                
Gwynhwyvar 
Posted: 22-Jul-2007, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Smyrna, Georgia

female

Anyone read "Thirty-nine Steps"? - by John Buchan. It was made into an Alfred Hitchcock movie back in 1935 starring Robert Donat. Read the book and check out the movie - great movie!

--------------------
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.""
Psalm 91:1-2

"Be what you would seem to be--or, if you'd like it put more simply--Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." from "Alice in Wonderland"
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt