Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Book Reviews, Any books a must-read or don't bother?
Bookmark and Share
DesertRose 
Posted: 18-Dec-2007, 11:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Hey Todd! Great to see you again! Been awhile! smile.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
tsargent62 
Posted: 21-Dec-2007, 01:44 PM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

Yeah it has! I've started getting busy again the last 3 weeks more or less.

I'll see you around! smile.gif

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
sisterknight 
Posted: 19-Feb-2008, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: montreal west, quebec

female

i just finished reading the second book of the eragon series, it's called eldest, boy i can hardly wait to see how they turn this one into a movie!!! this book is well worth the read!!

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
jbarron 
Posted: 14-May-2008, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Denver, CO

female

I recently discovered a science fiction trilogy by John Twelve Hawks that my son and I both enjoyed. The first book was called "The Traveller" and the second "The Dark River". I assume the third book is probably underway, release date unknown.

The books are about two brothers who have the ability to use astral projection to visit other worlds (they are the Travellers) to gain power/information, their protectors (The Harlequins) who are trained assassins, and the people who wish to capture and control them (The Brethern or Tabula).

The books are well written, have a lot of unexpected twists and turns, and keep one up very late at night finding out what happens next. I usually don't care much for science fiction but these are worth reading.

I've seen reviews comparing these books to the likes of The Matrix, The Da Vinci Code, and others and feel that those are a fair comparison.
PMEmail Poster               
mythjulie 
Posted: 31-Jul-2008, 06:48 PM
Quote Post

LadyGriffin
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

I highly recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

* 1700's * Scotland! * Men in Kilts!* Romance! * Gallant Men with long hair and bare chests! * Men in Kilts!* Oh, I said that once already.

um, maybe I am getting carried away. Where is that next book? LOL

Warning, her books run 850 to over 1000 pages EACH. Well worth the read though!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 05-Aug-2008, 02:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Hello there, mythjulie!

If you love the Diana Galbadon's Outlander's Series so well. You might enjoy this thread in the Book Stop as well. Here is the link to come join us. Hope to see you there and discuss all things Jamie, Outlander, etc.!

http://www.celticradio.net/php/forums/inde...?showtopic=6310

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Harlot 
Posted: 06-Oct-2008, 07:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

Brenda Joyce The Masters Of Time series. The one I read was Dark Embrace. If all the rest are like this one I don't think I will be reading anymore. I thought the story line was lame. I like time travel books but this one just didn't do it for me.

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
flora 
Posted: 06-Oct-2008, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Good morning, Harlot:

I just recently read Dark Embrace. I have also read Dark Rival and Dark Seduction. They are all about the same.

Have you noticed that when an author has a series going the first is good but the following go down in quality after that? I find the same with Karen Moning's books. Maybe they are pressured to write fast and furious to get the next one out.

Have you tried Katie MacAlister? They are not time travel but deal with modern day women along with archaic backgrounds. Men in Kilts was my favorite. I had many good laughs with each of her books. Corset Diaries and A Hard Day's Knight are the others.

Let me know if you try her.

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
jayhenson 
Posted: 06-Oct-2008, 10:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Royse City, Texas USA

male

QUOTE (CelticCoalition @ 24-Jan-2006, 08:08 PM)
Man, there are so many. I'll tell you my favorite book I've ever read is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

It is the story of a young boy in the future who is a genius. He is drafted by the government to be trained as the officer of the last human defence against an alien race known as the buggers. It is a science fiction novel...however it is mainly about growing up and facing not only your fears, but learning to love your enemies.

It's a wonderful book, and there are many other books written after it in the same world, but this one was the best.

That is, without doubt, my favorite book and one I have read almost a dozen times. I also loved [and have reread a few times] The Belgariad and Mallorian series by David Eddings. While those are pretty much "High Fantasy" as described earlier in the thread, They are very engaging, or were to me. One book that, in a way, is more suitable for this genre is At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill. Part of the write-up from Wikipedia reads:

Set in Dublin before and during the 1916 Easter Rising, At Swim, Two Boys tells the love story of two young Irish men: Jim Mack, and Doyler Doyle. Jim goes to school on a scholarship (for which he is looked down upon) - he is quiet, studious, thoughtful, and nave. In contrast, Doyler is outspoken, rebellious, brave, and affectionate. Doyler might once have received a scholarship, like Jim, but Doyler withdrew from school to find work and support his impoverished family, leading them to grow apart. They have an additional connection through their fathers, who served in the army together during the Boer War, and were once best friends.
Jim attends a Catholic school, regularly visits church, and plays in the church's flute band, where he is the object of the parish priest's obsession. Brother Polycarp likes to have extra prayer sessions with him; Jim reminds him of his own past. Unbeknown to his father, Jim is offered the chance at a vocation, to join the brothers of the church. When Doyler enters the flute band, their old friendship is renewed. Doyler takes Jim out to the Forty Foot for a swim, a well known swimming area in Dublin Bay. The two boys make a pact: Doyler will teach Jim to swim, and in a year, on Easter Sunday, 1916, they will swim to the distant island of Muglins Rock and claim it for themselves. As their friendship grows, Jim reconsiders the vocation, ultimately refusing; Brother Polycarp is emotionally stricken and has to resign.

The book made me laugh and cry (and I mean sobbing) it is a touchy subject but written with such eloquence that the sexuality takes second place to the intense emotions. It is a historical novel that I was impressed with.

But do read Enders Game if you have a chance. The author's preferred edition has a bit of info from the author. The book is actually used by the military for leadership training theory. Well worth the read

Peace

Jay
jayhenson 
Posted: 06-Oct-2008, 10:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

male

QUOTE (sisterknight @ 19-Feb-2008, 03:12 PM)
i just finished reading the second book of the eragon series, it's called eldest, boy i can hardly wait to see how they turn this one into a movie!!! this book is well worth the read!!

The author also extended the series. Too much to happen for three books. Instead of a trilogy, it is a series (4 or 5 books). Here is a link to a video message from the author

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m2F6U9ZVWMK0PQ

peace

Jay
jayhenson 
Posted: 06-Oct-2008, 10:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

male

QUOTE (j Padraig moore @ 05-Feb-2007, 03:08 PM)
I agree with CC. I just read Enders Game again recently. I have not read the follow up volumes, but was told they were not as good.

The parallel series I found to be well done and worth reading. The first book is Enders Shadow. It is basically the story from Beans perspective.

SPOILER alert SPOILER alert SPOILER alert SPOILER alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT A HINT ABOUT ENDERS GAME!!!!!!!

It follows Bean and the other Battle school grads through the wars following the end of the buggers war. Very good books, MUCH better than the rest of the first Ender saga. They just got too wierd. Speaking of Ender, there are new books out and the movie is once again being optioned. There are also more graphic novels in the works. Sweet!

There was also a press release about an upcoming video game.

Salt Lake City, Utah January 29, 2008 Chair Entertainment Group, an independent video game production company and creators of the award-winning Undertow, and bestselling author, Orson Scott Card, today announced their partnership to create the first-ever video games inspired by the legendary "Battle Room," featured in the beloved literary classic, Ender's Game. Ender's Game is an award-winning, international bestseller and one of the most popular science fiction novels ever written.

Peace

Jay
Faerydreamer 
Posted: 25-May-2009, 09:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Coal Country, PA

female

I wanted to let everyone know about a website I found that offers reviews of paranormal romance books, Bitten by Books. For the month of May, 2009, they are running contests to celebrate their first birthday.

Check it out!

--------------------
Lady Faerydreamer

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt