Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Gas Prices, What do you think of the Gas Prices
Bookmark and Share

Are you limiting your travel plans because of the Gas Prices?
Yes. [ 29 ]  [61.70%]
No. [ 18 ]  [38.30%]
Total Votes: 47
Guests cannot vote 
Haldur 
Posted on 18-Sep-2005, 08:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

I've come to the conclusion that gas prices will be rising much more over the next couple of years. I was reading in Newsweek or somewhere how the oil supplies are dwindling worldwide and how there are hundreds of world agencies looking for alternatives for gasoline.

First, there's diesel which is a viable replacement but would mean everyone would have to eventually purchase diesel automobiles. Also, I would think that diesel would be a bit more toxic than gasoline though I could be wrong. smile.gif

Then, there's the hybrid cars. But let's face it, they still take gas which might as well have diamonds in it.

Lastly, there's hydrogen cars which are in the works but probably won't be out on the market until like 2015 or something. So, I look to be sufferring for a while.

Honestly, I cannot complain. smile.gif I have a little '93 Nissan Sentra and I just drive around town here. I feel for the commuters in my area because most of them live about 30 minutes away and have to carpool, which isn't a bad idea really.

Some of us here at work have been discussing how rising gas prices will be effecting society in the near future. One fellow came to 2 very intriguing conclusions:

1) Rising gas prices will eventually force most drivers to convert to alternative sources of fuel and/or

2) cause an immense population shift toward large, urban areas in order to take advantage of public transportation (cabs, buses, etc.) and walking

How's that for 'food for thought'? wink.gif

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
OBH 
Posted on 19-Sep-2005, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacOak

Realm: Abbeville, LA

male

Brace yourselves for another round of price hikes. Tropical Storm Rita will be entering the gulf and increasing to hurricane status in the next day or so. CNBC is already reporting that oil and gas futures are up and likely to increase. Offshore facilities that are still working to get back on line after Katrina will be shutting in and evacuating again, as soon as Rita enters the gulf. The forecasted track puts her just off the central Texas coast by Saturday but that could change, it's already been moved a little north since yesterday. Any more northerly adjustment will put her in a location with a very high concentration of refineries, which would farther reduce refinery capacity which is still trying to recover from Katrina. If any of the big refineries between Houston and Lake Charles are taken out, there will be major shortages of gasoline and heating oil for months to come, just ahead of winter. No amount of oil from the strategic reserves can make up for reduced refinery capacity so high prices and shortages would be a certainty. If Rita strikes anywhere on the Texas coast, it will make the current problems worse so, if your gas prices are lower, you had best fill your tank now because prices will be going up again.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted on 20-Sep-2005, 05:37 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Down to $2.88 here...

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted on 20-Sep-2005, 06:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Just heard reports, I think, of 2.22, or 2.40 somewhere around here... Dunno if it's true

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Mountain Legacy -- Born in the isles, raised in Appalachia
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
maggiemahone1 
Posted on 04-Oct-2005, 08:56 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

QUOTE (maggiemahone1 @ 17-Sep-2005, 08:46 PM)
$2.66 This really makes me smile! biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1

$3.10 Hubby and I have decided as of today, we're going to have to cut back on our running around.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted on 04-Oct-2005, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Ours jumped by from $2.88 to $2.99 in one day!!! OUCH>.... sad.gif

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted on 04-Oct-2005, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

The gas for the car is only part of the picture, and not the most expensive. If the gas doesn't rise, the heating oil for the winter won't go up either -- and that's where we're really going to get gouged, now it's getting cool. It's all psychological preparation. sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted on 04-Oct-2005, 09:48 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 04-Oct-2005, 08:39 PM)
The gas for the car is only part of the picture, and not the most expensive. If the gas doesn't rise, the heating oil for the winter won't go up either -- and that's where we're really going to get gouged, now it's getting cool. It's all psychological preparation. sad.gif

Its snowing here. I am not sure if I want to be happy or sad- I love snow but the heating bill is going to really be bad this winter.. Last year I had a $300 some dollar bill with the fireplace- can't imagine with the increase... unsure.gif SCARY! That is my psychological prep- I am SCARED!!!

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted on 05-Oct-2005, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

WOOD HEAT! GIVE ME BACK MY WOOD HEAT!
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted on 05-Oct-2005, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (Aaediwen @ 05-Oct-2005, 05:26 PM)
WOOD HEAT! GIVE ME BACK MY WOOD HEAT!

laugh.gif Isn't that the truth..

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted on 05-Oct-2005, 07:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

unsure.gif
Don't y'all use wood stoves as backups? I mean in addition to an oil furnace? Or do you have to make a choice? (I know nothing about these things. Here, we use the wrench to bang on the pipes to alert the *&%#^!%#@* landlord that we are cold, and then we put on more socks.)
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted on 05-Oct-2005, 07:21 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi Stoirmeil, I have a fireplace that uses wood, and I always make sure I have enough just incase. I burn it a lot but my gas bills were still $300+ scary if it goes up more...do you really bang on the pipes???

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
anhrefn 
Posted on 05-Oct-2005, 07:40 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

Realm: north carolina

female

i don't drive and so, when the gas prices in western north carolina skyrocketed, i have to admit to some smug moments. but, upon consideration - well, dang... everything in this country is based on gas prices. if they go up, so commensurately will the prices of everything else.
someone told me today that she'd read north carolina gasoline prices were the highest in usa and that prices in asheville were the highest in nc. gosh, this bodes ill for everyone. i sure do wish there was some way we could reduce our dependency on oil.

--------------------
every time i see an adult on a bicycle, i have hope for humanity.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
maggiemahone1 
Posted on 06-Aug-2006, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

non leaded is $3.16 now, Our gas has shot up thru the roof in the past month. Hubby and I take the motorcycle as much as possible, as long as the weather is nice we can ride and save on gas money. That will change in a few month then it's back to those $80.00 fill ups, that puts a real big dent in your wallet...

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
Dogshirt 
Posted on 06-Aug-2006, 11:58 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

It's $3.09 here, and I'm not looking forward to going back to 70 mile commutes (one way) again. disgust.gif

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt