Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacWillow

Realm: 127.0.0.1

male

may I call it a virus? please

If it makes you feel better, go right ahead. However it's not a self-replicating program nor does it load itself (AFAIK) multiple times on the same machine. It might fall into the "troajn" category- when you insert the music CD, it installs Sony's own "player" which also includes the rootkit software. Loosely interpreted, it may be a Trojan.
I think "malware" is a safe term, and as much as I hate to thank MS for anything, they're including a remover in their December Malicious Software Removal tool.
However MS no longer provides updates for Win95, 98 or ME. Any people using these versions are SOL as far as removal goes.

Ok, you insert a music CD in your computer and it installs software.
You need to visit a Sony website to get a removal tool
Then you need to get the MS update to remove the removal tool- if MS still supports your OS!

If you insert the music CD you need to repeat the above steps.

Sony really screwed the pooch on this one.

Where can I ger a remover for the remover of the removal tool? :|

--------------------
I have two modes: wiseass and dumbass. Mode is determined by current blood alcohol level.

Drinking is a sport. In order to be competitive, you must practice on a regular basis. Although you can practice alone, it is much more fun to practice with friends. If you're out of shape and practice too hard, you will regret it the next day.

Life is a disease. It is sexually transmitted and always terminal.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 06-Dec-2005, 12:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Boston, MA

male

Unfortunately, because of the DMCA Regulations and the RIAA proactively contacting Live365 about violations, we had to remove both our featured artists and featured albums from the broadcast schedule.

This certainly is not helping artists because this focused programs helped sell alot of CDs for these artists.

We are also changing some details with the requests and how often a song can be played by a single artist.

It is really too bad about the featured artists/album because alot of work was put into these scripts and tieing it all in with our website. We will look into seeing if we can do it with just independents.

--------------------
Wallace MacArthur
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network

Imagination is more Important than Knowledge
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
subhuman 
Posted: 06-Dec-2005, 05:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

Unfortunately, because of the DMCA Regulations and the RIAA proactively contacting Live365 about violations, we had to remove both our featured artists and featured albums from the broadcast schedule.

We will look into seeing if we can do it with just independents.

It's worth looking into this, however I believe what you'll find is that you'd need a signed waiver from the copyright holder (artist and/or label) of each work you'd like to feature. Even if this is done, Live365 may still have issues with it since they are a partner of CR in this and would be possibly open to vicarious laibility if records were not accurately kept.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 06-Dec-2005, 07:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Thanks Subhuman! I appreciate your knowledge on this matter. Are you involved in internet radio in some way?

We have always taken the high road with our website and broadcast. Our number one priority is to make sure we are in compliance with the various regulations; although we may not quite understand why they exist, we will do our best to insure that our broadcast stays by the rules.

One option we are looking into is to play 3 tracks in a row from the artist album. I have to check and see if this is allowed and the details, atleast to have something.

The other option is to just have a featured artist and featured album where we play a randomly selected tracks from all of the featured albums or artists.

Would appreciate any comments on this. Thanks!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 06-Dec-2005, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I assume yyou're still allowed to have the featured artist and featured album sections of the site. Sounds to me like those lousy bastards are trying to kill everything good about Internet radio. Next thing you know they're going to require you have a couple commercials after every other song that overlays half of the song itself so noone can listen to radio unless it's run by them!

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Mountain Legacy -- Born in the isles, raised in Appalachia
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 06-Dec-2005, 10:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

I really can't take credit for this as Killian quickly thought of this idea. For the featured album programs we are just going to play 1 hour of tracks from our featured albums. Will get working on this new program.

I think part of the reason they don't want a whole album broadcast in one shot is the opportunity to rip the album or record it, etc.
subhuman 
Posted: 07-Dec-2005, 02:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

I think part of the reason they don't want a whole album broadcast in one shot is the opportunity to rip the album or record it, etc.

That's the main concern, and they get even more paranoid when you announce up to a week in advance what time the music will be played.
Quite frankly, it wouldn't take an overwhelming amount of programming skill to make a WinAmp plug-in that would save a copy of the streaming data to the HD as well as play the music.
To answer your previous question, I'm not involved in internet radio- for the record, this was the first one I've listened to, and the only one I continue to listen to. However, as I person who ran an online service for several years I learned real quick to cover my behind. The first investigation from law enforcement gets you to that pojnt real quick, subsequent ones are not fun but go easier- but I digress.
The courts interpretations of the DCMA continue to be that the law exists to discourage digital copying of music, since it can be done with "little or no loss of quality." That's the wording that has been established, so it's debateable if a court would consider a 64kbps data stream (even as an MP3-Pro) to be sent with "little or no loss of quality." However you probably don't want to be the person to fight this in court. Even assuming you'd win, you can expect that Live365 would drop you immediately, leaving you stuck with no service provider to stream the data. I expect this is why the RIAA sent the Cease and Desist letter to them in the first place instead of contacting you directly. Knowing that the RIAA became aware of the Featured Artist/Fetatured Albums implies that their agents have visited this site to find that info, since it's not at Live365's site. The letter was sent to Live365 since it has the greatest effect there- win or lose the case (*if* you were to fight), you've still lost your ability to stream music.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 07-Dec-2005, 06:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (subhuman @ 07-Dec-2005, 02:02 AM)
I expect this is why the RIAA sent the Cease and Desist letter to them in the first place instead of contacting you directly. Knowing that the RIAA became aware of the Featured Artist/Fetatured Albums implies that their agents have visited this site to find that info, since it's not at Live365's site. The letter was sent to Live365 since it has the greatest effect there- win or lose the case (*if* you were to fight), you've still lost your ability to stream music.

Luckily we are not one of the stations contacted. Live365 has contacted the offending stations and the RIAA contacted a number of radio DJs directly.

What is great about Live365 is they have developed a tool that lets you know if your station is in compliance. Station IDs need to be specially formated, something I didn't know without this tool. Most broadcast sites give you the tools, but nothing like this to really drive home the rules.

In respect to our featured album program, we just moved over about 350 tracks from our featured albums into a special category. We plan on resuming our featured album program by playing selections from our featured albums (not just 1 album) and therefore the rules will be applied.

Its good to know that our procedures today may have implications for tommorow. We maintain a visable library of all CDs received and obtained; electronic and paper correspondence from all musicians. We also require a CD if music is to be played on our broadcast - even if the musician wants to send us MP3's - it just makes good sense to us that having a "hard copy" of the tracks is good business in case of an audit.

Aaediwen 
Posted: 07-Dec-2005, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Makes sense. But I do wonder... What if someone wanted to send you a single track for which no CD exists....

Even if they burned it and mailed you the CD that way, there'd be no way to prove you didn't burn it yourself.
subhuman 
Posted: 08-Dec-2005, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

Makes sense. But I do wonder... What if someone wanted to send you a single track for which no CD exists....

Good question.... I know how I'd work it.
Accept the song in MP3 format from the artist. Require a witnessed (paper) statement allowing use of that song file including the MD5 or SHA1 hash of the MP3 to prevent any confusion over the exact song and version.
While a file can be renamed, you can't (for all intents and purposes) fake a hash.
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 08-Dec-2005, 08:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

I guess that could work. Or if the MD5 hash were transmitted electronically even. So long as both parties have the file to compare with in that case. Or transmit it in an image like the security pics used when signing up with this site.

Could work.
subhuman 
Posted: 08-Dec-2005, 10:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

I wouldn't accept that if I were in Mac's shoes. I would require that something come in hardcopy. Right now he does that by recieving a CD. I would even keep the shipping material- the envelope/box it came in showing the originating (artist's) address and CR's address. Electronic correspondence is easy to fake- or easy for someone to claim it's fake- while hard copies are much more credible.
A little paranoia and accurate recordkeeping today prevents trouble tomorrow.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt