DesertRose 
Posted: 09-May-2005, 07:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

I generally don't like to read a novel more than once, but occasionally I come across an author whose style I really like or his/her stories I just have to read over and over again. And always as a result, I discover new things each time I re-read the books that I didn't catch the first time around.

Do you have certain books that you could read over and over? If so, how many times have you re-read a certain novel?

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 09-May-2005, 07:51 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Nonfiction:

Lies & The Lying Liars Who Tell Them by Al Franken
Dude, Where's My Country? by Michael Moore

Fiction:
Pandora's Clock and The Last Hostage by John J. Nance
Anything by Stephen King
1984 by George Orwell (very relevant to these times biggrin.gif )

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 10-May-2005, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

I could read Diana Gabaldon's books over and over. Haven't done it.........yet, but I plan to!

Have read "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee several times."

And have read my Bible all through many times as well. That's 60 books in one, I think that counts. wink.gif
Nancy-Raven 
  Posted: 13-May-2005, 06:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

I can't stop reading Harry Potter.It give the feeling to be in another world but having a feet in this world too , being in 2 worlds at the same times.I have read the 5 books so many times.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 09:00 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I've read the Bible several times also, Rosie! I've also read and re-read the first Left Behind book many times. I enjoy reading and re-reading Shakespeare's plays (I've read Hamlet, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and The Tempest - my favorites - many times). Another favorite is a book called The Nephilim by L. A. Marzulli. I've read Charles de Lint's books many times too.

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
dfilpus 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 09:16 PM
Quote Post

Vainamoinen
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

My top reread novel is The Lord of the Rings, which I have read too many times to count. Out loud is the best way to really get the rhythm of the language, especially singing the songs and poems.

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
celtica 
Posted: 14-May-2005, 02:47 AM
Quote Post

Lady of the mists
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Brest - Brittany

female

There's not many books I can read over and over...don't like that, I like to be surprised and discover new authors. But I must confess that, as Wizard, I'm a big fan of Shakespeare so I read his works many times, specially Henry Vth, my favourite play wink.gif . There's a french book I love too and read 6 or 7 times : "The dangerous affairs" by Choderlos de Laclos, the masterpiece of this author of the 18th century, the writing is so beautiful ! smile.gif

--------------------
Que restera-t-il de notre sang mêlé au sel, sans trace dans les mémoires ? Une ultime navigation, trompeuse. Et des souvenirs, illuminés d'embruns. Mais condamnés au silence de la mer... Loïc Finaz.
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Diarmuid 
Posted: 11-Jun-2005, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

male

I have read Winter Dreams by Don J. Snyder many times over. It managed to bring two of my "I'm too tough a guy to read" friends to tears. It's a golf/romance novel. Given the audience for this type of book is small but I would suggest it. I would also suggest The Cliff Walk by Snyder as well. It is basically his memoirs from when he got fired from his job teaching at Colgate. A sad, sometimes terrifying read. But in the end you are left feeling uneasily satisfied.

--------------------
I am currently working on and doing research for the writing of a fictional novel in which the country being invaded is a celtic one. Any suggestions on content or research would be welcome.

[QUOTE]Love is but a boat set upon an open sea. Ans those things that imperil it, the waves of fear and doubt are also what earn its dignity in our memory.
PMEmail Poster               
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 19-Jun-2005, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Chronicles of Narnia, Grimm's Fairytales.

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
BDougher 
Posted: 19-Jun-2005, 05:10 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: USA

male

The Lord of the Ring is a must read over and over for me. I also enjoy Tom Clancy's books as they go in different directions and keep my ADHD under check.

--------------------
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
John Wooden
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 19-Jun-2005, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I'm a "repeat offender" with many books, sometimes after many years, and then I find them saying very different things to me than at first reading.

Most recently, I picked up "Greyfriar's Bobby" again, after recommending it to someone on this site as a nice model for a way to represent Lowland Scots dialect. I have not read it since I was in my teens, so we're talking maybe 35 years, but I read it many times back then -- it was a real favorite, both as a dog story and a picture of a time and place that captivated me completely.

What a marvellous story it is! I am seeing many things in it that I wasn't mature enough yet to pick up on, as a kid. No doubt I will read it, or favorite parts of it, several times in the near future. thumbs_up.gif

Here is a link to the plain text of the book on the Gutenberg Project.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext01/bobby10.txt
PMEmail Poster               
bigjimhainey 
Posted: 19-Jun-2005, 08:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: South Mississippi

male

I read most of my books over and over again, I have one book that between my brother and mother we have bought 4 times it got read so much (Santiago by Mike Resnik if anyone was wondering). I also like to read the Harry Potter series, having read the Whole series twice over and am foaming at the mouth for the next book. Also the Myth series by Robert Asprin and the Destroyer series (sorry forgot the authors names and dont wanna get up to go look) I enjoy rereading my books cuz it is a way to visit other places and the second time you read a book its got a familarity to it that i enjoy.

--------------------
ERIN GO BRAGH

Beware the Celtic Storm

Big Jim Hainey
DesertRose 
Posted: 19-Jun-2005, 11:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 19-Jun-2005, 06:11 PM)
I'm a "repeat offender" with many books, sometimes after many years, and then I find them saying very different things to me than at first reading.

Most recently, I picked up "Greyfriar's Bobby" again, after recommending it to someone on this site as a nice model for a way to represent Lowland Scots dialect. I have not read it since I was in my teens, so we're talking maybe 35 years, but I read it many times back then -- it was a real favorite, both as a dog story and a picture of a time and place that captivated me completely.

What a marvellous story it is! I am seeing many things in it that I wasn't mature enough yet to pick up on, as a kid. No doubt I will read it, or favorite parts of it, several times in the near future. thumbsup.gif

Here is a link to the plain text of the book on the Gutenberg Project.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext01/bobby10.txt

Stormeil! I didn't know there was such a book on Greyfriar's Bobby! Oh, how I would love that! I looked at the link, but how would I get the book itself and who is the author? Thanks so much! thumbs_up.gif

I'm really going to have to get to work on adding another room to my house for all the books I am to be reading. rolleyes.gif
gnomecelt 
Posted: 20-Jun-2005, 04:10 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacElder

female

Harry potter is one of my favorites. finally about 2 weeks becomes book 6!!!
darren Shan's adventures are also books to keep reading.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 20-Jun-2005, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 20-Jun-2005, 12:28 AM)
Stormeil! I didn't know there was such a book on Greyfriar's Bobby! Oh, how I would love that! I looked at the link, but how would I get the book itself and who is the author? Thanks so much! thumbsup.gif

I'm really going to have to get to work on adding another room to my house for all the books I am to be reading. rolleyes.gif

The link IS the book!!! biggrin.gif That's the Gutenberg Project's plain text format -- it has a kind of longish notice at the beginning, and then the whole book is all there. Scroll past the beginning language. You can download it or print it legally.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt