Bookmark and Share
Rindy 
Posted: 01-Aug-2008, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

SB-these look like a regular bee. I'll bet that did hurt. Thanks for information on Wisteria sounds like my kind of plant...easy..lol.

Lawn & Garden Tips

Although many shrubs do not require pruning, some shrubs that flower in the spring and early summer, such as lilacs,will greatly benefit from pruning once they have finished flowering. This keeps them lookling lovely season after season. A good rule of thumb is prune right after things bloom and you're always safe from pruning off future flower buds.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 17-Aug-2008, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

We had an old lilac bush at our old house in Austell but it gradually deteriorated even tho we watered, fertilized and trimmed a bit. I read later that Georgia is almost too far south for some lilacs to do well; my son lives in northeast Pennsylvania and has a marvelous lilac, so must be true. Maybe I'll track down one of those hybrids that can deal with our southern heat and humidity.

I found out this summer that black-eyed susans really can take the heat so I'll be planting lots of them next year. Hostas given to us by a friend have done pretty well too, but the butterfly bushes definately need more shade than my yard can provide. One growing in front of the house just below the front porch is 4' tall, its flourishing in the mostly-shady spot.

Morning glories I planted there too, at the base of the front porch, have gone into Jack-and-the-beanstalk mode. They've climbed the latticework clear up to the porch!!! Hummingbirds and bumble bees visit the flowers each morning while I'm enjoying my coffee out there... this morning a fat bee entered one blossom, and the flower fell off. Poor little guy came buzzing out, like "Whaaa happened?!?"

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
flora 
Posted: 23-Aug-2008, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Good morning, everyone!

I enjoyed reading the replies in this forum. I have always wanted a wisteria plant but I thought the plant had to be really established before it would bloom.

I had tomatoe plants this summer and really was thankful especially when there was a health issue on all the tomatoes in the store.

I too had a beautiful lavender plant until my two very large dogs tried to go over the fence and broke the plant down to the soil.

I have planted pumpkin plants for the grandchildren but I am afraid the tropical storm that we have had (dumping over 20 inches of rain in some areas) is not going to be good for them.

Any suggestions would be most helpful!

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 29-Aug-2008, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

We had a funny pumkin thing happen last year. Actually it was a decorative gourd I guess, it looked like pumpkin but was dark green with whitish stripes top to bottom. I'd had a basket of decorative pumpkins and gourds for the autumn season on the porch and a neighbor dog stole one of them. Apparently he took them into the valley behind our house, because down near a little creek this majestic vine grew in the spring, climbed our pasture fence, and proceeded to give us a crop of the cutest green and white pumkins! It must have sprouted from the remains & seeds of the stolen one.

Where it grew is fairly shady, don't know if that had to do with how prolific the vine was. It sure wasn't full sun like a real pumpkin patch.
ctbard 
Posted: 02-Sep-2008, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

female

I don't know if it's the weather or what, but my tomatoes are doing horribly, my sister s are too, it's been a weird summer.
Hey, anyone know anything about composting??

--------------------
The devil whispered behind the leaves, it's pretty but is it art?
Rudyard Kipling
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
ctbard 
Posted: 02-Sep-2008, 09:26 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

female

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ 30-Jul-2008, 05:15 PM)
I'm the kind of gardener who pokes the plant in the ground, shakes my fist at it, and snarls "grow or be uprooted, blast ye!'

biggrin.gif

Hey Rindy, we too have this strange wasp-bee critter flying around but ours looks like a fat bumblebee until you get close and notice the bottom half of his little body looks like a shrimp. Strange-o-rama! He doesn't come after us so we leave him alone. I got stung by a regular wasp on the tip of my thumb the other day and oh man, I said some bad words that time! It hurt for hours.

Wisteria will grow from a cutting I bet, its a ferocious climber tho so watch where you put it - it'll try to take over the world.

Hey, my sister was just saying she has these HUGE wasps in her yard, their Cicada killing wasps, they dont normally sting people, their just gigantic, and they catch and bring cicadas into their nests to lay eggs on, poor cicada's!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 02-Sep-2008, 10:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

My tomatos are just getting ripe and now the vines are drying up. It has been a strange summer.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 02-Sep-2008, 01:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Our summer has been the wettest that I can remember in quite some time.

I have lost a lavender plant, my thyme plant, and I think my pumpkin plants are going to have webbed leaves before too long!

Our oranges were doing great until all this rain which is causing them to split. Our key limes are doing great. They won't be ready until late November. Just in time for a key lime pie for Thanksgiving.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 20-Jan-2009, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I just came back from a trip to Tampa and we went through Plant City and Dover which are big strawberry growers. Strawberries are in!!!! Nothing says summer as well as strawberries. I have been protecting my tomatoe plants and if this freeze doesn't get them I should have plenty.

I believe I want to do a bigger garden but I want to enrich the soil. What does everyone use for their gardens?

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 20-Jan-2009, 07:19 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

flora;

Last I looked the garden was frozen solid for about 3 feet down. (frostline)

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 20-Jan-2009, 11:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

Mine is under a foot of snow now and has been for a while. I use 12-12-12 fertilizer available in any garden store. Used lightly it will work for anything then from a farm fertilizer company, I get pot ash and phosphorous (the last two 12's) for tomatoes and fruiting crops. I try to never plant things in the same place in the garden too. That cuts back on disease. Soil is remarkably able to spring back..

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I know Patch and Camac it is early to be thinking garden with snow on your ground. Thank you for your suggestions, Patch. I also want to try to stay away from pesticides as much as possible. Hard to do in Florida with all the critters we have. Do you have ideas for that also? Thanks again for sharing ideas.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 10:24 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

flora;

I for one am not into Horticulture, although I do love Roses, Peony,and Climatis. I read that planting different specis of plants together can control pests. If you plant Marigolds with Roses they control the aphid population. Also there is something about tomatoes controlling some specie of caterpillers. Other than that I'm totally ignorant on the subject.

Camac.

PS. I do enjoy a good looking garden but then that is someones elses work.

Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 10:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

QUOTE (flora @ 20-Jan-2009, 07:44 PM)
I believe I want to do a bigger garden but I want to enrich the soil. What does everyone use for their gardens?

Flora

We were told horse poo was too strong for gardens, that it had to be put in water in a barrel then pour off the liquid fertilizer as needed. Sounds like a lot of trouble if you ask me. So we proceeded to mix in horse poo mixed with the soil when we made a garden last year... everything turned out fine, good tomatoes & peppers. Would have had good okra and pole beans too but Peter Rabbit snipped them off 2" above ground one night, the little rascal.

Don't know if I should recommend anything, I'm a beginning gardener really! I'll be asking for help here soon - biggrin.gif
flora 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 05:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Camac I love roses also. It doesn't get cold enough here for peonies or tulips (love them also). We get our revenge by having gardenia, jasmine and magnolia.

Siobhan I used to have horses and I know how green the grass grows!!!!! Actually I was thinking of a product called Black Angus and would work it into the soil before I started planting. I had a neighbor who used chicken poo. It didn't go over to well with the surrounding neighbors. tongue.gif

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt