Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (jbarron @ 28-May-2008, 09:20 AM)
I was wondering...does anyone know how to keep squirrels out of one's garden? They like to take one bite out of something, throw it on the ground and sample the next one. They wrecked havoc last year on my tomatoes and sweet corn.

Try putting some chicken wire around it.

My parents have to worry about squirrels and rabbits in their vegetable patch.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 28-May-2008, 08:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (Donajhi @ 31-Aug-2007, 09:42 AM)
Does anyone know how tall okra gets before it starts producing.
The plants are mutants, I think. Leaves the size of dinner plates
but no pods, not even a flower. Is 6 foot to tall?

If the seeds were not from last years "hybrid" plants it should produce. Otherwise it is hard to say.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 28-May-2008, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (jbarron @ 28-May-2008, 04:20 AM)
I was wondering...does anyone know how to keep squirrels out of one's garden? They like to take one bite out of something, throw it on the ground and sample the next one. They wrecked havoc last year on my tomatoes and sweet corn.

I have birds squirrels and rabbits to deal with. I bought some cheap rubber toy snakes, (the bigger the better) a plastic owl and I hang aluminum pie pans from string between tall stakes. Raccoons destroyed my corn so I quit planting it. Everything else except the neighbors leaves my garden alone. It is OK about the neighbors.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 28-May-2008, 08:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (valpal 59 @ 14-Jun-2007, 02:40 AM)
New flowerbed is done. Can't seem to keep the cats out of it. Does anyone have any tips for keeping them out?
The flowers in the first bed came back with a vengence this year. The lavender is most beautiful. MUST GET MORE LAVENDER!!!
Will post pictures as soon as possible.
How is everyone's gardens doing?

I use blood meal in my tiny garden. (available in garden stores) It has to be replaced after a rain. If you have a big area it would be cost prohibitive. There are other things available (including maybe moth balls) Good luck!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 29-May-2008, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Thanks for the advice Patch.
Since we have been training Bailey to stay out of the flower beds the cats have started avoiding them most of the time.
The other evening Zoomie was trying to get Bailey to chase him thru the flower bed. She stopped at the edge. I went in and chased him out and Bailey looked like she was laughing at him and saying, NA NA NA NA BOO BOO, you got in trouble and I didn't. I had to laugh and give her a treat for being a good girl.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 29-May-2008, 01:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Patch @ 28-May-2008, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (Donajhi @ 31-Aug-2007, 09:42 AM)
Does anyone know how tall okra gets before it starts producing.
The plants are mutants, I think.  Leaves the size of dinner plates
but no pods, not even a flower.  Is 6 foot to tall?

If the seeds were not from last years "hybrid" plants it should produce. Otherwise it is hard to say.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

My son trans-panted cantaloupe plants that grew in his compost bin. He got a lot of tiny melons (tennis ball size) with almost no netting on the skin. They were hard as rocks but super sweet. They were a throw back from hybrid plants the year before. Many if not most seeds today are hybrid to improve the quality of the produce. If you like suprises and have the room save seed from hybrid plants.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
Posted: 02-Jun-2008, 04:00 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

My dad recently purchased these time-release pellets to keep the critters away. They're supposed to smell like a predator's scent or urine. You all might want to look into that too.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
valpal59 
Posted: 03-Jun-2008, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

Mike,
Could you find out the name of the pellets? I'll try anything.
valpal59 
Posted: 04-Jun-2008, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

If the hot winds do not quit blowing, my flowers are not going to make it. sad.gif
Rindy 
Posted: 19-Jun-2008, 10:25 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

valpal hope your flowers made it alright. It has been so cold and rainny here we figure we lost one month of summer. The garden is starting to take off now. I have broccoli, spinach, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, peas, corn, peppers, watermelon. strawberries, plums, cherries. And, I have a new peach tree. Hopefully I won't get hail or any strong winds this year.

My lavender has made it for another year and it's starting to bloom.

I'm having a problem with mr. robin eating my netted strawberries..."makes me so mad!" lol....

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 20-Jun-2008, 08:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

Most of the plants are still alive, but do not look very good. We have had a break from the hot winds, but they are supposed to be back late next week.

My lavender is one of the few things that looks really good. The oldest one is so full and has lots of blooms. The 2 I planted last year are just starting to grow good and the 3 I planted this year are small but alive.

Rindy that sounds like a big garden. I hope the weather cooperates and you have a great harvest. I do have 2 tomato plants in a half whiskey barrel. The last 3 years that I planted a garden it would get hailed on but would come back and then would get hailed on again and be totally wiped out.
Patch 
Posted: 24-Jun-2008, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

My 6 tomato plants are beginning to really grow. I had 5 but one came up from last year's seed. I left it grow to see what it produces. If there are no neighbors interested this year I doubt I will plant them again. I had planted some Heirloom varieties which were susceptible to Tobacco Mosaic and I asked that they wash their hands before picking those if they were smokers. Maybe they thought I was weird or something. Oh well, it was their loss.

Slàinte,   

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 25-Jun-2008, 02:51 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

My garden is finally starting to grow. I'm not sure but my spinach bolted already only had a few leaves. My lavender is doing like yours Val, I have one plant with a lot of blooms the rest are still growing. Looks kind of weird. Glad you had a break from the winds.
Patch I haven't heard of Tobacco Mosaic will have to look it up. I usually end up with to many tomatoes thank goodness for neighbors! lol

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 25-Jun-2008, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 25-Jun-2008, 08:51 AM)
My garden is finally starting to grow. I'm not sure but my spinach bolted already only had a few leaves. My lavender is doing like yours Val, I have one plant with a lot of blooms the rest are still growing. Looks kind of weird. Glad you had a break from the winds.
Patch I haven't heard of Tobacco Mosaic will have to look it up. I usually end up with to many tomatoes thank goodness for neighbors! lol

Slainte

Most of the Hybrids are resistant to VFFNT or a portion of that. They put it on the little plastic tag. The T stands for Tobacco Mosaic. I eas told that smokers carried it on their hands. They must as my Son planted some and he is a smoker. His plants died.

Slàinte,   

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
iolanda 
Posted: 27-Jun-2008, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Princess
Group Icon

Group: Order of the Knights
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Rieti ( Lazio )

female

smile.gif Hallo there,
Unfortunately I' ve not a garden but little 2 balconies at this time. I've many plants and flowers but I'm really proud about a climbing rose that I've gaven as a gift myself for my birthday. It's high pink colour and yellow and In few time is so grown up until the floor over me and now has 24 rosebud and does continue put others !!! clap.gif I'm always looking at like a baby...Maybe am i crazy? laugh.gif
bye1.gif Slainte
note.gif Iolanda

--------------------
]Happy who, hovers over the life..feels the language and the fragrance of the simple things and the flowers.. (C. Baudelaire)

If you lose, don't lose the lesson ... (XIV Dalai Lama)
PMEmail Poster               View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt