flora 
Posted: 04-Sep-2009, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

I was just about to declare war on the squirrels because I thought they were getting my pumpkin blossoms. Come to find out there are male and female blossoms. The male blossoms last only a day (wouldn't you know it) and the gardener might have to hand pollinate the female blossom to get pumpkins. We live in an agricultural area and I thought we would have plenty of bees to get the job done. I started the vines the first of August so we would have a least one for October. At this rate it might not be until December!!!!!

I plan to plant carrots, winter squash, beans and radishes this weekend. I also see Mums coming into the home center stores. Is it feeling like fall yet?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 04-Sep-2009, 08:04 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

The only thing I grow is hops, and my 2nd year plants are blooming nicely. I should have enough to breww 40 to 60 gallons! God I love beer!

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
flora 
Posted: 15-Sep-2009, 03:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

How much hops did you plant, Dogshirt? Are they more like a tree? Do you have to harvest at a certain time of year? Then how long does it take for you to brew your ale?

I added squash, zucchini, mustard greens and tomatoes along with the other vegetables to get the last harvest before winter. No pumpkins yet! sad.gif
I had shared a plant with my son's family and same story there. My daughter-in-law said she would probably buy a small pumpkin to "plant" on the vine for my 2 year grandson.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
jbarron 
Posted: 16-Sep-2009, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Denver, CO

female

QUOTE (Dogshirt @ 04-Sep-2009, 06:04 PM)
The only thing I grow is hops, and my 2nd year plants are blooming nicely. I should have enough to breww 40 to 60 gallons! God I love beer!

beer_mug.gif

Yay! Another homebrewer! cheers.gif :-)

What kinds of hops do you grow? I have Northern and Cascade hops and got a bumper crop this year since we've had a lot of rain. I can't pick them fast enough.

How do you dry them? I've been trying to devise some kind of air dryer made with large gauge wire screen and scrap lumber. I made a small one this year that seems to be working well so far.

What's your favorite beers? I tend to like the malty ales in winter and get kits from Williams Brewing - Fireside and their Holiday ale are my favorites. Lighter, hoppier beers are good for summer though.

Am wanting to try one called "Peek Under Yer Kilt Ale". lol

PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 22-Sep-2009, 11:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I feel vindicated on my disappointed crop of pumpkins. It seems that the majority of growers are feeling the same pain. It is estimated that there will be only 10 percent of the crop this year. If you see pumpkins in the store you might better get one while the getting is good.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 23-Sep-2009, 08:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

My son attended a sale in an Amish community that is held twice weekly during the produce season. They grow things organically and the prices were unbelievable.

Watermelons that averaged 16 lb sold for 40Cents each, Cantaloupe (large) were a quarter and Honey Dew mellons were 20Cents. Pickling cucumbers were $6.00 a bushel and 50 lb of hot peppers were 4 dollars. Bicolor sweet corn was 35cents a dozen. Apples were $2.00 a bushel and they had all kinds. The big pumpkins were $2.00 and the smaller ones were 50 to 75 cents. Green beans , though done for the year, sold for $1.50 a bushel. I would not pick them for that!!

I doubt he will ever plant a garden again.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 23-Sep-2009, 08:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I guess we know who pays their tithes. tongue.gif I would be canning and freezing!

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 23-Sep-2009, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I bank rolled my son and my daughters garden. I must not be doing enough!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 28-Sep-2009, 07:33 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Well the garden is done. They are calling for rain and snow Wed & Thur so I have been harvesting and giving away. I'm not ready for winter. sad.gif

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
coastman 
Posted: 29-Sep-2009, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Coastal Georgia

male

I cut the sucker plants from my daylilies and have them rooted. They are doing great. Will transplant them to a bigger pot soon. Working up a new garden site for everyblooming daylilies. Ready to plant some mustard and turnip greeens. The next 3 weekends I will shrimping and putting those tasty crustaeans in my freezer for the winter. So my gardening is on hold for the present.
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 29-Sep-2009, 01:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Coastman, maybe you could answer a question for me.

We visited a plantation in South Carolina tha had a red lily growing and no one could tell me what it was. It was unusual in its shape similiar to a spider lily. It reminded me in color of our blood lilies that we have down here. It had no visable leaves either, just a slender stalk. Any ideas?

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 29-Sep-2009, 07:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I would be interested too but doubt it would survive winters here.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 29-Sep-2009, 07:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (flora @ 04-Sep-2009, 04:00 PM)
I was just about to declare war on the squirrels because I thought they were getting my pumpkin blossoms. Come to find out there are male and female blossoms. The male blossoms last only a day (wouldn't you know it) and the gardener might have to hand pollinate the female blossom to get pumpkins. We live in an agricultural area and I thought we would have plenty of bees to get the job done. I started the vines the first of August so we would have a least one for October. At this rate it might not be until December!!!!!

I plan to plant carrots, winter squash, beans and radishes this weekend. I also see Mums coming into the home center stores. Is it feeling like fall yet?

Flora

Though It is probably too late, have you ever tried fried pumpkin blossoms? My grandmother used to get up early and pick them before the bugs got in them. (no green bases, only the yellow flower) She would dip them in batter and flour or cornmeal and fry them.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 29-Sep-2009, 09:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I have never tried it. I understand the squash blossom is delicious also.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 30-Sep-2009, 02:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (flora @ 29-Sep-2009, 02:57 PM)
Coastman, maybe you could answer a question for me.

We visited a plantation in South Carolina tha had a red lily growing and no one could tell me what it was. It was unusual in its shape similiar to a spider lily. It reminded me in color of our blood lilies that we have down here. It had no visable leaves either, just a slender stalk. Any ideas?

Flora

I researched on the internet and found them under "Hurricane Lily" or "Surprise Lily". See http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2109/

It seems they pop up during hurricane season.

We have African blood lilies also known as "Football Lilies" (even though they are round like a basketball) biggrin.gif . See http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2440/

Sorry Patch, it looks like they only go up to zone 7.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt