Posted: 11-Apr-2009, 06:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (flora @ 24-Jan-2009, 12:40 PM)
LOA, I know it is early to be thinking about planting. We have just had a couple of days of hard freeze and I am mourning all the dead plants. My tomatoe plants received a little damage even with my sleeping bags around them. sad.gif Thanks for sharing info with me.

Patch, we usually have plenty of lady bugs and praying mantis (we call them walking sticks). I hope they can come back after this freeze. I will investigate the thuricide for our area. Are you familiar with sevin dust?

Flora

Sorry I missed this.

Yes, there are some time constraints as far as using produce after Sevin has been applied. I have used it but one has to be more careful. I had a neighbor who sold plant nutrients (minerals and etc.) They were popular with the Amish and were supposed to promote stronger disease free plants. I tried some on tomato's and noticed a difference. He moved and I do not know where to get them.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 28-Apr-2009, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

I have eggplant ready to be harvested!!!!!! I am trying to decide how to fix it. I have garden fresh onions and tomatoes so maybe a medley with chickpeas. It seems silly, but I am more aware of the special gifts from the garden instead of just going to the market and buying produce.

I have also introduced an interest of herbs to my grandson. He will rub the herbs between his hands and spell the different fragrances and he frequently picks the mint and chews on it.

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 08-May-2009, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I am just planting some of the cold hardy plants and seeds now. The first corn should be up any time. It will be some time till gardens here produce anything to eat.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 25-May-2009, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Fixing everything with zucchini right now. We also enjoyed our dinner with fresh pole beans yesterday. The tomatoes have run their course and I am debating whether to plant new ones, since our summers are so hot.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 25-May-2009, 08:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

I bought the topsy turvy planters for the tomatoes so I could hang them up high where Bailey can't reach them. So far so good. We only got 2 tomatoes last year because Bailey would eat them before we could. She is one tomato eating dog.

Val

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
flora 
Posted: 25-May-2009, 04:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Dogs are so hilarious. Mine like to eat oranges. Let me know how the topsy turvy planters turn out. My son's neighbor did those and couldn't grow them. I'm sure there is too many factors to weigh in comparison though. Good luck.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 25-May-2009, 05:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I just finished planting my daughters garden (with her help) and have done a lot of my son's so far. I doubt I will plant one myself. With that, one business start up and possibly another, I am worn out!

It must be nice to live in the warmer climes. We had frost warnings here on the 20th.

I expect my kids to share a bit with me.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 25-May-2009, 07:27 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

My garden is doing well. Have it all planted now. I know how you feel Patch. I didn't think I was ever going to get it all in. It's been rainy and cold all weekend all it needs is some sun. thumbs_up.gif Speaking of dogs, just planted a fern and he thinks it's his to mark. I hope it survives. "The dog" lol.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 17-Jul-2009, 06:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I enjoyed my first Meyer lemon off the tree today! The pumpkin plants are just breaking the surface. Since we are not forecasted for a huge hurricane season maybe they will do better than last year. My sunflowers are on their last phase. I'm not getting a huge crop from the little exotic tomatoes I tried this year. Everything else has been tilled under until next year.

I have seen where some areas are getting into the 50's at night. Do you think we are going to have an early and cold winter?

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 17-Jul-2009, 07:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I am almost ashamed to say that I have just three Brandywine tomatos that came up by themselves. I was so busy with helping my children with theirs that I did nothing with mine.

I do not yet have the blight in my plants but most here do. It is similar to the blight that caused the Irish potato famine and the plants were infected in the green houses. In the Northeast a large percentage of the plants had to be destroyed. Maybe I will supply my neighbors again this year.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 18-Jul-2009, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Flora, I think that would be awesome to be able to grow lemons. My sunflowers are still growing. I am not sure about a early winter here I sure hope not. It hasn't been a normal summer though a cold breeze comes in the evenings and it really hasn't been warm til now. I am hoping for a long fall. Maybe I will have watermelon in December. LOL.

Patch that's great about your tomatoes. I hope you don't get the blight.

I've had strawberries, potatoes, onion, broccoli, peppers, a few green beans. The corn was knee high by the fourth of July! My tomatoes are doing ok, lost one plant. tomatillos fine, Peas, ok nothng to brag about. Cantalope have wee ones, watermelon is struggling.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Faerydreamer 
Posted: 19-Jul-2009, 11:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Coal Country, PA

female

My garden has not done well this year. I think that there are a few too many bunnies running around eating the plants before they get to grow. There is one surprise in my front flower bed though. When we moved into this house in December, there was a small pumpkin rotting in the flower bed. Well, I think that I have pumpkins growing now. This will be so cool come Samhain/Halloween. I will have my own pumpkins to decorate, I hope.

--------------------
Lady Faerydreamer

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 20-Jul-2009, 07:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Faerydreamer @ 20-Jul-2009, 12:34 AM)
My garden has not done well this year. I think that there are a few too many bunnies running around eating the plants before they get to grow. There is one surprise in my front flower bed though. When we moved into this house in December, there was a small pumpkin rotting in the flower bed. Well, I think that I have pumpkins growing now. This will be so cool come Samhain/Halloween. I will have my own pumpkins to decorate, I hope.

You probably will. The worst that may happen is that they will not be as big as they might get by then but they are STILL pumpkins!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 29-Aug-2009, 03:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Well my pumpkin plants are holding on. The last time we were awash in tropical storms. (Though I don't like what is out in the Atlantic right now) I believe we will have a mild winter down here so next weekend I plan to put in a few winter vegetables and see how they do.

Those of you who are fortunate to live in colder climates, do you have to prepare your ground now? When do you plant tulips?

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 30-Aug-2009, 12:46 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Well all the berries did well. Potatoes wonderful. Tomatoes just starting, tomatillo did weel, peepers all did well, cantalope excellent, peas & green beans ok. Watermelon still waiting. I have hot peppers a well. YUM, it's all worth it.

Ejoy why we can old man winter will be here soon.

Slante
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt