Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (flora @ 20-Jan-2009, 06:44 PM)

I believe I want to do a bigger garden but I want to enrich the soil. What does everyone use for their gardens?

Flora

Flora,

To enrich our soil we put in a mix of compost with sheep and cow manure and a little bit of peatmost.... and we add furtilizer once a month but not too much not to kill the plants especially when young.

But now it's under 4 feet of snow at least in my backyard.

LOA smile.gif

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 07:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

Marigolds throughout the garden DO really work. I have found that always rotating where you plant things from year to year keeps the plants healthier and healthy plants have some natural disease resistance. Blood Meal keeps the rabbits away but needs to be reapplied after each rain and mothballs work for deer. I use thuricide, a bacteria harmless to us, that attacks worms in cabbage cauliflower and broccoli. Rotenone is organic and neutralized by water. It works well on everything else. Gurneys seed catalog sells praying mantis egg cases and lady bugs, both naturals in controlling insects plus some others too I believe.. If you use them, do not use rotenone. In warmer climes they should be there for years once established in numbers.

Good gardening!

Slàinte,   

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 24-Jan-2009, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

LOA, I know it is early to be thinking about planting. We have just had a couple of days of hard freeze and I am mourning all the dead plants. My tomatoe plants received a little damage even with my sleeping bags around them. sad.gif Thanks for sharing info with me.

Patch, we usually have plenty of lady bugs and praying mantis (we call them walking sticks). I hope they can come back after this freeze. I will investigate the thuricide for our area. Are you familiar with sevin dust?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 12-Feb-2009, 09:26 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Does anyone really go by the Farmer's Almanac anymore? That is where I read about the North having a rough winter this year, last summer! They are saying that the South still has a chance of frost by the end of February. My husband will till up the ground for my garden by next weekend.

Isn't February when the cherry blossoms bloom? We had early peach blossoms but the freeze dropped them. Orange blossoms are going good, pretty soon it will be like a wall of fragrance.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 12-Feb-2009, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

My grandparents swore by the Farmer's Almanac. I have never used it, but sometimes I think I should.

Bailey has already destroyed part of my flower beds, so I'm not going to do much to them this year. I am going to concentrate more on the containers that I have on the front porch and on the patio.

Val

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
McRoach 
Posted: 24-Feb-2009, 11:32 AM
Quote Post

>>*<<

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Desert Highlands, USA

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #6
2,147,483,647 Gold!

Clan: AWARE

The snow has finally melted off my box garden her in the lower northwest. I have put tomato's in it for the last 2 years but am wondering if I should try something else there this year. Does crop rotation matter with tomato's? unsure.gif

--------------------
"May those who love us, love us. And those who hate us, may God turn their hearts. And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping."
-Celtic Proverbs

Grateful am I to have a sword in which to defend myself at all times, blessed am I for the days I need not use it.

Daylight Saving Time countdown banner
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 24-Feb-2009, 12:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

Allo McRoach,

Yes it's important that every year crop rotation should be observed as and new fertilizer added to your garden.

I did find this bit for you but if you want more info there are good books that provides charts and advices on vegetables gardens.

Crop rotation has been used by farmers for many years. Crop rotation now is commonly used by gardeners to control diseases and insects in the vegetable garden. It is also used to build up the organic matter and soil nutrients that certain plants use during their life cycle. Certain families of plants are subject to the same diseases and should not be planted in the same area more than once every 3 years to prevent the disease organisms from building up in the soil. Crops planted in Bed 1 are planted in Bed 2 the following year, and in Bed 3 the year after that, and then Bed 4 and back to 1 again. Every year you are building up the organic matter and soil nutrients in one bed, by adding compost and planting a cover crop, also known as "green manure". The other crops rotate in the same direction, helping to keep your soil makeup balanced, and your garden healthy. You will start to notice a healthy improvement in your garden produce.

Remember that potatoes are the unique vegetable here. While keeping them in a rotation plan, you'll want to be sure they're planted in a bed that has not previously grown tomatoes, peppers, or eggplant.

The concept is very simple! Keep a notebook of where your crops are planted from year to year. This is a sure fire way to keep your crop rotation in line! The block chart below is a simple example of how most vegetable crops can be rotated each year in your garden.

~ info provided from the Yankee Gardener website.

Hope it helps.

P.S. With the last snow we've had my garden is now still under 5 feet of snow and here won't be ready for planting until May.

LOA smile.gif

PM My Photo Album               
McRoach 
Posted: 26-Feb-2009, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

>>*<<

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Desert Highlands, USA

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #6
2,147,483,647 Gold!

Clan: AWARE

LoA, thanks for the info, guess I'll have to build a couple more boxes this spring.

Does anyone have a mulching box for green waste? My wife and I have discussed starting a compost bin ever since my city implemented recycling pick up and in a family of four we generate a lot of food waste.

I don't have a huge yard and don't want it to stink up the place or my neighbors.
flora 
Posted: 16-Mar-2009, 08:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Well I buried the dead (plants). We haven't had such a hard freeze that killed all the way down to the ground in several years. I have pole beans, squash, eggplant, onions, peppers and tomatoes in. Rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives in the herb garden. Couldn't find basil to replant.

The azaleas, orange, oak and orchid trees are in full bloom (a wall of fragrance). Sorry to all those who have allergies!

Has anyone else been able to plant?

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 25-Mar-2009, 10:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

Trees are blooming? Where are you... OH, in Florida. You've got a jump on us here in Georgia.
We are trying to get our expanded veggie garden ready this week; I want it three times bigger than last year and have had to assure hubby I'll do the weedin' and such if he'll just help me get the beds ready. We got the old roto-tiller running now so that's going to help. I ordered so many seeds from Burpee's! Can't wait to get them growing.

It's raining today and is supposed to for several more days too, so that's good for the grass and flowers already starting to bloom. I'd planted an almond bush last year, and its got the sweetest little round pink blossoms... reminds me of one we had at our house in Austell years ago.

Gotta run, happy gardening everyone!

Susan

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
flora 
Posted: 07-Apr-2009, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I read an interesting fact today. In 1943 20 million Americans planted Victory Gardens, generating more than a third of all vegetables consumed in the nation.. With containers gardens even more popular today, more of us should be gardening.

Then there is the great debate about fresh spinach and iceberg lettuce. In 2006 E. coli in spinach sickened 205 and caused three deaths. Last August, the FDA decided to permit the irradiation of spinach and iceberg lettuce. I personally don't like radiation (even though they claim the gamma rays are the same rays that come from the sun). Hello! Skin cancer! What do you think? Does the risk of E. coli outway the radiation?

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 09:55 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

Walked around the place today and all of my hops have come up. I also ordered 3 more varieties. beer_mug.gif beer_mug.gif beer_mug.gif

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Rindy 
Posted: 10-Apr-2009, 12:00 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I still have snow in mine. What a mucky mess. Got to get my spinach in, potatoes, peas. Hopefull we won't have a hard frost. It's always a gamble until May 15th then even after that. I have seen it snow here in June.

I have broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, onions, asparagus, strawberries, one blueberry bush that's all I can think of at the moment oh, cuccumber, lettuce. I would like to find some saffron.

Well pretty soon I will be able to til. It is suppose to be nasty this weekend.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 11-Apr-2009, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I've got blooms on the eggplant, squash, zucchini. Pole beans are about 4 inches high and sunflowers are about three inches high. The onions are big enough to be used for Easter dinner but had to buy extra tomatoes! I am trying to grow exotic tomatoes from seed that are the small yellow pear-shaped. Should be great for salads. My husband bought me a Meyer lemon tree and also a variegated pink lemon tree.

So what is the name or color of your favorite rose? Do you go for tea, english, wild or miniature ones?

Found a wisteria bush named "Black Dragon" but couldn't quite talk myself into paying $50.00. Has anyone heard of that color?

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 11-Apr-2009, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

At least there is no snow on my garden now. My favorite rose is "Abraham Lincoln". Deep red and fragrant. I have some very old climbing roses that are beautiful but I have no idea what they are called. I will know soon how they did over the winter. My Day Lillies are starting again. I have 18 different ones. I may get more this year.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt