Arien 
Posted: 19-Nov-2005, 04:58 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Amateria in the West

female

I haven't heard about the Dragons in our midst chronicles. They sound interesting.

I can't wait for the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe movie either! It looks like they have really done a good job on them. The preview looks very vibrant.

--------------------
"'Mercy!" Cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?'

'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and over-heaven and of the sundering seas,' laughed Pippin. 'Of course! What less? But I am not in a hurry tonight."

~The Two Towers, JRR Tolkein
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 19-Nov-2005, 06:04 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Another new series I have seen in Wal-Mart that look interesting but have not tried yet are the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series, which is about a race of intelligent owls. They are by a lady named Kathryn Lasky.

Here is a synopsis of the first book that I found on-line:

Guardians of Ga'Hoole #1: The Capture

When Soren, a Barn Owl, is pushed from his family's nest by his older brother, he is rescued from certain death on the forest floor by agents from St. Aggie's, a mysterious school for orphaned owls. When Soren arrives at St. Aggie's, he suspects there is more to the school than meets the eye. He and his new friend, the clever and scrappy Gylfie, find out that St. Aggie's is more sinister than they could have imagined. Soren and Gylfie devise a way to flee the dangerous school and warn owls everywhere about the dangers that lurk in the forest. Together, these owls must find their way through a difficult and perilous journey, in order to save owlkind from the evil plots being hatched at St. Aggies.

I found this info at:

http://www.kathrynlasky.com/BooksPages/Fic..._Guardians.html

Now why on earth would someone called WizardofOwls be interested in a series like this? wink.gif Anybody read any of them? I would love to hear what you thought of them!

--------------------
Sln agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tr mo chridhe. 'S i Gidhlig cnan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 19-Nov-2005, 07:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Hey Allen! I read the CS Lewis Chronicles of Narnia over 20 years ago! I so loved all those books! I finally look forward to the movies! thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
susieq76 
Posted: 23-Nov-2005, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

I am reading the first book in a new series called "The Mistmantle Chronicles" by M.I. McAllister which is about squirrels and moles and hedgehogs. Alot like Brian Jacques' books, which I also heartily recommend. Another great set of books, though written when I was a child are a series by Susan Cooper. The first (I think) is called "The Dark Is Rising". These are wonderful books, though a bit hard to find. Seriously, check those books out. They are incredible. Kids books that had me on edge. My daughter loves "The Unicorn Chronicles". I love The Dragon Series (starting with "Eragon" and now "Eldest") by Thomas Paolini. Great books.

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
stoirmeil 
Posted: 23-Nov-2005, 11:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (WizardofOwls @ 19-Nov-2005, 06:04 AM)

Now why on earth would someone called WizardofOwls be interested in a series like this? wink.gif Anybody read any of them? I would love to hear what you thought of them!

No, but it sounds wonderful. Putting them on my short list to look for! Thanks for the review.
PMEmail Poster               
Arien 
Posted: 29-Nov-2005, 11:28 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (susieq76 @ 23-Nov-2005, 07:37 AM)
Another great set of books, though written when I was a child are a series by Susan Cooper. The first (I think) is called "The Dark Is Rising". These are wonderful books, though a bit hard to find. Seriously, check those books out. They are incredible.

I thought that was an interesting series.

If you want a quick and dirty Welsh pronunciation lesson read them.
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 23-Dec-2005, 05:10 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I am very excited to tell you that I am getting books 1 and 2 of the Dragons In Our Midst series and all 8 of the books in the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series for Christmas! (See my previous posts in this thread for details on both series) I will let you know what I think as soon as I read them!
Arien 
Posted: 05-Jan-2006, 09:24 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacHazel

female

I just finished reading Inkspell, the sequel to Inkheart.

The idea of falling into a world you have created in a book is interesting but it felt like I was waiting around an awful lot for people who had been captured by the evil guys to be rescued (in both books). Everthing was a little too black and white. It's nice if the villian has a good quality or two. It makes things more interesting (and realistic). The book was good but I was ready for it to be over by the end. Unfortunately the end of the book was not the end of the storyline. It looks like I will have to wait for another sequel to see everything resolved.

Does anyone know how many books are planned for this series?
PMEmail Poster               
Cordelia 
Posted: 06-Jan-2006, 01:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

I've read 'The PRincess Pawn' by Maggie L. Wood. It's a good story, with a blend of medieval chivalry, a chess game, and a villain who is given a second chance to change his destiny. IT's probably good only for teens, but maybe you guys should try reading it. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Boadiccea 
Posted: 24-Jan-2006, 11:46 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacElder

Realm: Asheville, NC

female

All these books are for girls , The reason i've recomended only for girls is because i'm a girl. These are all books I own.

Water Trilogy - Kara Dalkey
Unicorns of Balinor - Mary Stanton
Ella Enchanted - Gail Carson Levine
Child of Faerie, Child of Earth - Jane Yolen
The Princess Tales - Gail Carson Levine
Young Royals:
Doomed Queen Anne
Beware, Princess Elizabeth
Patience, Princess Catherine
Spiderwick Chronicales
Spellfall - Katherine Roberts
Narnia
Magic Attic Club
Anything by Gail Carson Levine and Jane Yolen

Have fun

--------------------
~Slainte Mhath~
PMEmail Poster                
Boadiccea 
Posted: 24-Jan-2006, 11:47 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacElder

Realm: Asheville, NC

female

* except Spiderwick and Narnia
PMEmail Poster                
Arien 
Posted: 07-Mar-2006, 08:25 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacHazel

female

I just found another cute one. Princess Academy by Shannon Hale.
It was just given a Newberry Honor.
PMEmail Poster               
Gwynhwyvar 
Posted: 20-Jul-2007, 07:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Smyrna, Georgia

female

Owls are my favorite bird - my great-grandmother nick-named me "White Owl" when I was a baby. Anyway, I have always liked owls - especialy Snowy Owls and Screech Owls. I picked up a copy of the first Guardian of Ga'Hoole and plan on reading it. I am a BIG fan of Brian Jacques books. I grew up reading all the Thornton W. Burgess books when I was younger - "Tales of Reddy Fox", "Tales from Old Mother West Wind", etc. You can still get them through Dover books. I have always seemed to love books with animals as the main characters - ones with human attributes. Of course, don't forget "The Wind in the Willows". I picked up a copy of "The Willows in Winter" by William Horwood, it is a continuation of "Wind in the Willows". The author was picked by the family of Kenneth Graham to write a sequel. It looks like a good book to read during "winter"! book.gif

--------------------
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.""
Psalm 91:1-2

"Be what you would seem to be--or, if you'd like it put more simply--Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." from "Alice in Wonderland"
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt