DesertRose 
Posted: 06-Feb-2005, 10:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

For you parents and adults who read them. Who do you read and what are your favorite authors and books?

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
BoggleBoy 
Posted: 06-Feb-2005, 10:29 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacVine

Realm: Troy, Ohio

male

I really enjoyed the Artemis fowl series- of course right now the authors name escapes me, but he's Irish!

Also this little series called the Spiderwick Chronicles- sad.gif also can't think of that writer's name, and I don't have the books where I can get them.

LOVE Maurice Sendak!!!!

Kevin Holland- I think that's his name- is an expert on arthurian legend and a scholar of mediaeval lore and history and he wrote a series about a boy named Arthur who is about to become a knight just around Richard's time and that particular wave of Crusades. it is a wonderful sort of primer for young adults interested in what life might have been like during that time period in England. It also makes some very timely commentaries on todays world and relations with people of differing beliefs- namely the Christian/Muslim relationship. Also shows how far back the bad feelings between the east and the west goes.

Madeline L'Engle will always be a favorite of mine form my own childhood.I'm sure there are others, but I'm writing this from a place where my copious book collection is not accessible...

--------------------
As above, so below...

All things are connected.

Visit me at my web site and come play at the Hedge- http://www.kevinbuntin.com/
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
susieq76 
Posted: 07-Feb-2005, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

Oh, you could keep me going on this one for ages! My daughter loves Spiderwick Chronicles, Boggleboy! They are good books, as well as Lemony Snickets Series of Unfortunate Events books. She loves Harry Potter (we are going through withdrawal right now!!), C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, Tolkein. If you never read another book, "The Tale of Despereaux" by Kate DiCamillo is one of the best I have ever read! She also loves this series called "Avalon" by who, I have no idea, but she loves them. My favorite childrens book ever will always be "Goodnight Moon" by Margaret Wise Brown. Oh, I love that book. And my daughter loves Shel Silverstein!

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
BoggleBoy 
Posted: 07-Feb-2005, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacVine

Realm: Troy, Ohio

male

I know of or have read most of the others you've mentioned. Too funny how similar the preferences of so many here happen to be!!! I'll check out those others you've mentioned!

Ah, Goodnight Moon... a classic! thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
DesertRose 
Posted: 07-Feb-2005, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

I always loved The Chronicles of Narnia."
Arien 
Posted: 18-Mar-2005, 11:21 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Amateria in the West

female

I'll second the Artemis Fowl series by Colfer.

I also love the Series of Unfortunate events.

My new favorite series is the Squire's Tales by Gerald Morris (the Squire's Tale, The Squire His Knight and His Lady, The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf, Parsifal's Page, The Balad of Sir Dinadan, The Princess the Crone and the Dung-Cart Knight).

--------------------
"'Mercy!" Cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?'

'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and over-heaven and of the sundering seas,' laughed Pippin. 'Of course! What less? But I am not in a hurry tonight."

~The Two Towers, JRR Tolkein
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 04-Aug-2005, 09:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Oh, I am so glad to find this!

The books by Rosemary Sutcliffe for young adults ought to be on the required reading list for everyone on this site, no matter how old you are. She was a great scholar of the history of Britain and the celtic lands (over a vast time period, from the stone age to the Jacobite uprisings), and the books for young readers are thrilling and accurate. Often heartbreaking -- she didn't hold off from how rough the life and times were, or how bloody. But they are so moving! Probably the best retelling of the Cuchullain legend you will find (it's title is The Hound of Ulster). It made me weep, for the story and for the beauty of the writing. There is never any dumbing down for the audience at all -- what makes them for young adults is that they are usually coming of age stories for the protagonist (for example, in Bonnie Dundee, the protagonist is a lad who hero-worships John Graham of Claverhouse and fights with him at Killiecrankie).

There must be 25 or more of these novels. They are amazing. Many are now out of print, so you find them at your library -- the later ones are still in good stores for this readership.
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 07-Aug-2005, 11:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh wow, Stoirmeil! Thanks so much! I had never heard of her. will check out her books. I bet abebooks.com has them! wink.gif
Edana 
Posted: 17-Nov-2005, 09:34 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacReed

Realm: USA

female

Hello,

I'm new to the site and this is my first posting.

One of my favorite authors is Diana Wynne Jones. Her books are really funny and unusual. My favorites are Hexwood, The Merlin Conspiracy, and The Darklord of Derkholm.
Another favorite is Robin McKinley. I love the Blue Sword and Beauty.

I love to read, so this is a great forum for me, lots of new books to read!!!

Edana

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I drink to your health when I'm with you.
I drink to your health when I'm alone.
I drink to your health so often,
I'm starting to worry about my own.
~Anon (at least I don't know)
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 17-Nov-2005, 10:23 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Welcome to the forum Edana..
I hope you enjoy the music as well as the wonderful people that are here on this forum. I think you will find them very nice.
These books you speak of sound really good. A lot of people on here love to read..I look forward to your postings..

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
celticfire 
Posted: 17-Nov-2005, 10:33 PM
Quote Post

Idle Dreamer
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

female

Besides Harry Potter, some really good kids' books are the Chronicles of Narnia, a really lovely picture book called "Somewhere in the World Right Now", the Lord of the Rings, etc.

--------------------
My heart's in the highlands
My heart is not here
My heart's in the highlands
A-chasing the deer
--Robert Burns

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is cel.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

Gluais faicilleach le cupan ln.
Go carefully with a full cup.
PMEmail Poster               
Arien 
Posted: 17-Nov-2005, 10:53 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Amateria in the West

female

Dia duit Edana!

Welcome to a fellow book-lover!

I also like the Hero and the Crown by McKinley.

Have you ever read the Series of Unfortunate Events?

laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Edana 
Posted: 17-Nov-2005, 10:57 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacReed

Realm: USA

female

Arien,

I have read part of the series and am working towards reading them, they are so funny!!

Edana
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 18-Nov-2005, 10:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

I always said they should make a movie out of the Chronicles of Narnia and they are finally doing it! Yay!!!!!!!!
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 18-Nov-2005, 11:38 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I can't wait to see it myself! I am reading the books now, and they are WONDERFUL! I am just beginning the fifth book, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

The Left Behind: The Kids are excellent books also. Recently I was in a Wal-Mart in Blacksburg and saw a series of books that looked REALLY interesting. They were called "The Dragons In Our Midst Chronicles" by Bryan Davis. Apparently they are a fantasy series geared toward young adult Christian readers. From what I could gather, looking at the backs of the books, dragons are still among us but are able to hide by taking on a human appearance. A young boy finds out that he is a dragon and has to learn how to deal with it. The titles in the series so far are Raising Dragons, the Candlestone, Circle of Seven and Tears of a Dragon. They sound really good but I didn't have the money to get them at the time. Maybe for Christmas! Anybody read them?

Here's a link I found with more info:

http://www.dragonsinourmidst.com

--------------------
Sln agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tr mo chridhe. 'S i Gidhlig cnan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt