Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...&type=printable

(Information on the Irish Language Act that reverts all placenames back to the Irish original forms).

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf im gwlad
Tra mr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded ir heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 04-Nov-2005, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

http://www.answers.com/topic/calan-gaeaf

Basic information on Calan Gaeaf.
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 04-Nov-2005, 11:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

Diolch, Antwn, Siarls for these websites. Very interesting. The original purpose for dressing up like spirits at Halloween was to avoid demonic persecution... Three cheers to the Irish for passing this law! That's the way to preserve an endangered native language. Tourists should learn the place names if they so want to visit! Maybe it'll be too radical to do the same in Wales (for the sake of faint hearted) but at least all the signs should be bi-lingual with the Welsh words in bigger letters and the English in small letters in parenthesis ! smile.gif

--------------------
Weithiau, mae'r ateb i'n problemau o dan ein trwynau, dim ond bod angen i ni gymryd cam yn l ac edrych eto. - Stuart Kerner
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                
Antwn 
Posted: 05-Nov-2005, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

I agree. Maybe complimentary plastic magnifying glasses can be hung from each sign so passers by can stop and read the English place name wacko.gif

Sorry for not posting for a while, there was a technical problem and this site didn't recognize my screen name! Its fixed now, though with a slight modification.

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 05-Nov-2005, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Helo Antwn. Nice to hear from you. I'm glad you've overcome the technical problem. You have a neat Avatar!

You're so funny! I burst out laughting when I read your first line! laugh.gif I forgot to add a comment concerning the Irish Language Act. I was horrified to know they show Sponge Bob in Ireland of all the Amreican TV programs!
Siarls 
Posted: 07-Nov-2005, 01:52 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Hello! I agree with you about giving Welsh priority over English on roadsigns. Less than a mile from my house is the border with Carmarthenshire where Welsh is written above English on roadsigns and where there's too small a space to have a bilingual sign, generally Welsh gets precedent!!!

I think Welsh should pass a similar law but you know, even Welsh people seem to have difficulty with placenames. I often have to take peoples' addresses in the petrol station because they have forgotten payment (but we can't suck the petrol back out of their tanks!) and so many people mispronounce places and then they spell them out to me like I'm a foreigner and I feel like saying, "Ie wel, fi'n siarad Cymraeg so does dim bai arna i pryd pobl ddim yn gallu dweud pethau yn dda!".

Saturday, someone said what I thought was Lancome, like the French design label. They were trying to say Llangwm. My colleague said he could see the anger in my eyes, hear the impatience in my voice and thought I was going to correct the lady. But they were Welsh!!!

By the way, have you seen this:
http://www.swan.ac.uk/cymraeg/
?? It's my department!!
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 07-Nov-2005, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Great web site! The campus is located in such a beautiful place.

gwenynen 
Posted: 07-Nov-2005, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Since I found Dr. Gruffudd's e-address on the above web, I sent him a message. I praised his learner's dictionary. I used the expression you taught me (mae e'n torri o'r neilltu o ganlyniad i'w ddefnydd aml.) smile.gif Aren't I a good student? smile.gif
Antwn 
Posted: 08-Nov-2005, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Sheesh! At least they weren't trying to pronounce Pwllheli. At the very least people should learn to pronounce place names in their own country. Well, I shouldn't talk. I grew up in Virginia and there's a small town there called Buena Vista. Not hard to pronounce even for a non Spanish speaker, yet the locals pronounce it Beoona Vista. Don't ask me why.

Siarls, you should have said that to them in Welsh. Even if they didn't understand you at least they'd know you speak Welsh and don't need to have Welsh names spelled out to you. You could also say "Edrychwch mewn eich waled CYN bwmpio'r petrol y tro nesa!" .....or whatever the colloquial version would be.

Gwenynen, please let us know if Dr. Gruffudd responds. Yes it is a nice site, the campus by the sea must be beautiful.

PMEmail Poster               
austaff 
Posted: 09-Nov-2005, 12:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Gwenynen what courses are you now doing since you finished with the Lloyds Have you found a new course etc as I have nearly finished Lloyds so were wondering what you are doing now which may help me

hywl am y tro

--------------------
A fo ben bid bont
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 09-Nov-2005, 10:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

I don't know any good course. Cam Ymlaen is good in a way but I just can't bring myself to start using Mi or Fe at the beginning of sentences unless I find a strong reason to do so. For now, I use mix-match of everything, Read Gareth King's grammar book, work on Teach Yourself Welsh I bought some time ago, listen to Radio Cymru, read newyddion and Welsh blogs, post at forums, etc.

What about the Linguaphone software you mentioned a while ago? Do you still use it? I'm so sad all those great softwares don't work with MAC. sad.gif
Siarls 
Posted: 09-Nov-2005, 10:17 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

It is lovely, today we can see England in the distance. In the summer, students walk over to the beach, do homework and have barbecues.

In the winter though, it gets very blustery and wet!!! There's a boulevard that runs between the Library, Languages Building, Taliesin Arts Centre, Engineering Building and Computer Science/Business building - this makes for a lovely wind tunnel in winter and by the time you arrive at your classes, it feels like you've been surfing or swimming in the sea as we're covered in salt water!
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 09-Nov-2005, 10:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

O that sounds so wonderful. I'm so partial to living by the sea (even with salt spray and all.) Is there any symbol here for envious green eyes? You see Oklahoma is land-locked. We do have lakes and rivers but they aren't the same as the sea. Besides I'm far from them anyway.

Antwn 
Posted: 09-Nov-2005, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Siarls, question for you. Do you belong to Cymuned? Are they a positive organization?
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 09-Nov-2005, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Japan is a maritime nation, isn't it? I can imagine you miss the sea. I missed the sea when I was in London and it's only round the corner! I live right by the sea as well, you can't see it, but you can feel it in my garden. The salt spray, the seagulls, the fresh strong wind.
I do have to say that there are days when I am soaked to the bone, though!!! Yesterday for example! And I go through umberellas as often as I go to a hairdresser!!!!!!!

Green eyes? Hmm, I'm not sure... let me think about it and ask some friends what we'd say.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt