Bookmark and Share
gwenynen 
Posted: 05-Oct-2005, 09:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

O, Na! Were you severely injured? That was awful! O, it must have been terrible for you!

--------------------
Weithiau, mae'r ateb i'n problemau o dan ein trwynau, dim ond bod angen i ni gymryd cam yn l ac edrych eto. - Stuart Kerner
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                
Antwn 
Posted: 06-Oct-2005, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

God that's awful Siarls, hope you're feeling better. Hope you'll stay out of that area at night, looks like a rough neighborhood from the article.

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 06-Oct-2005, 01:31 PM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

It was over a year ago, so I've had time to get over it all, but it was terrible and 250 was just not enough money - I was off work for a fortnight. I was in hospital over night with a broken nose, dislocated jaw and needed stitches... in my lips and gums... was so painful!!! By the way, I just want to say that neither myself nor Gareth provoked or started anything. The article is a bit unclear about that. One minute a guy is asking us for change, the next, we're being jumped by him and his friends. There was no warning whatsoever and I was offended that I was not called to the stand to testify.

So, for what other reasons have Swansea been in the news lately, Gwen? I know everything that's going on here but because I live in the area, but I want to know what's making my town famous, or infamous!

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf im gwlad
Tra mr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded ir heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 06-Oct-2005, 02:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

O, Siarls, I feel awful you got so badly injured! Those guys should get more for what they did to you than what was reported.

I'm afraid the recent news about Swansea hasn't been too cheerful - such as the murder of the 17 year-old boy, closing of a Walker's factory, and something else about a hospital (I can't remember the details.)

On the bright side, I was listening to Gaynor Davies on Radio Cymru just a moment ago and she interviewed two professors or students from Swansea University. I think it was about a book club or something and they were reviewing some books. I was trying hard to understand, but it was so hard! I even recorded it so I shall listen to them again.
gwenynen 
Posted: 06-Oct-2005, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Anhrefn, I'm afraid greenldydragon hasn't posted here for a long time. As a matter of fact, there are only a handful of us who post regularly. That's why we're so glad to have new members to the Wales threads. I hope you'll keep on posting.

Did you go to Machynlleth? How nice! It's indeed too bad those important cultural buildings were closed. The Glyndwr museum especially ought to have a national support. It's so important to preserve national heritage.

I too love Radio Cymru. I understand only here and there but as you say, it's wonderful to listen to fluent Welsh speakers. Some of them do sound as if they were siging, don't they? I like Gaynor Davies. Her Welsh is charming! Another of my favorites is the guy who reads news often on Post Cyntaf. I don't know his name but his Welsh is soooo fantastic! I can tell right away when he comes on the air!
Siarls 
Posted: 08-Oct-2005, 05:28 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

By the way, you know that Walkers factory that's closing? I work opposite it.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=26...62575&ay=196362

The arrow points to the Walkers factory. Where it says "Hotel" is now a petrol station - the one in which I work!
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 08-Oct-2005, 08:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Neat map! Do you still work at Tesco too? Or was it a summer job?
Siarls 
Posted: 12-Oct-2005, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

I've been working in Tesco since I was 16! I started off stacking milk, yoghurt and cheese. Then I moved to stacking shelves in the petrol station, then to checkouts, then to customer services and then to working on the checkouts in the petrol station! I'll keep working there until I graduate. I need the money!
I'll probably stay in the petrol station now though. It's not as highly paid as customer services, but I've certainly settled more than I did on customer services.
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 12-Oct-2005, 09:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

O, so the petrol station is a part of Tesco. There was an article about Tesco in the latest Lingo Newydd, a Welsh learners' manazine. It was about pros and cons of Tesco being built in many parts of Wales.

By the way, when do you graduate?
Antwn 
Posted: 12-Oct-2005, 04:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Gwenynen, how did you subscribe to Lingo Newydd?
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 12-Oct-2005, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

They don't have a secure payment system on the web. I didn't want to email my credit card info nor send a form by regular mail, so I called them on the phone. I got to talk to the woman whom I exchanged a few email (in English.) I was planning to say "Diolch" at least, but I was rather nervous and forgot!
gwenynen 
Posted: 13-Oct-2005, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

O, no! Have you heard the news about the petrol station explosion in Cwmbran? Siarls, do be careful!
Antwn 
Posted: 13-Oct-2005, 01:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Yes Siarls, be careful. Is Walkers the factory/butcher shop they closed due to the e coli outbreaks?
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 23-Oct-2005, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

This story from Eurolang about Ireland's Gaeltacht and its language requirement is very interesting. I wonder what would happen if communities in Wales would pass a similar law. Might be a good idea.

http://www.eurolang.net/index.php?option=c...temid=1&lang=en
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 24-Oct-2005, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Yes, I've heard of these sort of Irish conquests before. I am completely in favour of many Irish Language legislation in the Republic of Ireland. Ireland is an amazing country and I think that Wales and Ireland can do a lot to help each other- we need to liaise more.

I'll try and find the website for your curiosity, but there was also a law passed recently in Ireland reverting all place names back to the original Irish.
I would be overjoyed by this if it were to happen in Wales. For example, the area of the Gower peninsula near where I live (in fact, I'm part of the Gower constituency, much to my horror and to the horror of Gower residents - there's a little rivalry between Gower, Swansea and the Lliw Valley and I think most Lliw Valley folk feel more sympathy toward Llanelli), all the Welsh placenames have been lost and only the English remains, not just on the roadsigns, but in spoken Welsh.
"Fi'n chwilio am Reynoldston" someone said to me. I was horrified, I responded, "Trerheinallt?".

This Irish law also required that only the Irish names would be used on maps, atlases and the ordnance survey. I completely agree. Some road atlases completely miss out the Welsh and some put the Welsh translation in brackets, in a smaller font beneath the English. Somewhat ironic seen as the Welsh is the original.
There would be some places that should retain their English, I feel. Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthen, Glamorgan and Newport maybe. Swansea is a rare case in fact - the English is the original name, rather than the Welsh Abertawe.

By the way, the Walkers factory is closing due to company hardships. My friend works for Bridgend Borough Council Environmental Health - she has been working flat out to help resolve the crisis. Swansea remains unaffected.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt