Posted: 28-Apr-2005, 03:16 PM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

I don't mind the Eisteddfod crossing the border on a couple of conditions... easy access from Wales, accepted and appreciated by England.
Liverpool is a little awakward to get to from where I live. Plus, my English friends knew nothing of the Eisteddfod before they met me. The Eisteddfod is always a main news headline in Wales - in England, it is not mentioned. Irritating, seen as we're sister countries. How can England possibly rule us without understanding our culture, which is different, despite what English people say about the Welsh being awkward.

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i´m gwlad
Tra môr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded i´r heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 28-Apr-2005, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

I'm afraid England hasn't been making particular efforts to understand Welsh culture for the past centuries. I'm assuming the Eisteddfod may go to Liverpool for finacial reasons. Is it getting too big and costing too much? Is it losing the original spirit? What if it eliminated a few fancy events to enable it to be held in Wales?

--------------------
Weithiau, mae'r ateb i'n problemau o dan ein trwynau, dim ond bod angen i ni gymryd cam yn ôl ac edrych eto. - Stuart Kerner
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 29-Apr-2005, 03:30 AM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

It doesn't seem to be losing its spirit, although a couple of older friends seem to think so (but the older generation are always panicking about losing our culture, but they don't seem to realise that developping and modernising doesn't mean losing).

I'm not really sure why it's in financial difficulties, but one way they're combatting that is by reducing the days its on. It used to be on for 9 days, 2 weekends and a week in between, but now I think it will only be 6 and will end on a Thursday. I think that might make things worse as many won't be able to make those days. I think the Eisteddfod actually has to appeal more to non-Welsh speakers. I would like to see a bit more contribution from the other Celtic nations and maybe even countries like England, Spain and France. There is the International Eisteddfod, but maybe merging them? I'm not sure, though as I am only a volunteer who helps set things up - not on the council or anything!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]