Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Shamrocks, Tell me about them, please!
Bookmark and Share
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 19-Mar-2005, 01:24 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Allen, no need to call in the plant doctor yet! Shamrocks do close up at night. Anyway, play music note.gif to your shamrocks and you must give them a name.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 19-Mar-2005, 07:39 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Thanks maggie! I was SO glad to hear that I hadn't killed little Eilidh and Mairead! Good Celtic names for good Celtic plants! smile.gif I am still afraid of overwatering them! How often do you think? And how much? I've been giving about 1/2 cup a day. Is that too much? Too often? I am so ignorant when it comes to making plants happy! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Sln agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tr mo chridhe. 'S i Gidhlig cnan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 22-Mar-2005, 10:13 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Okay, little Eilidh and Mairead are starting to look really bad! sad.gif They are in small planters about 3-4 inches across and about 6 inches deep. I've got them stting in a window where they can get sunlight and I've been giving them about 1/2 cup water each every other day. What am I doing wrong? Help please! sad.gif I've even been talking in Gaelic to them and playing Irish music! Perhaps they dont understand Gaelic??!!
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 27-Mar-2005, 09:25 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

female

Allen, cut back on the water. Don't drown the poor babies! biggrin.gif I water mine only 1 time a week. If Eilidh and Mairead are getting lots of sun, maybe water 2 times weekly.

maggiemahone1
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 27-Mar-2005, 10:02 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Okay! I'm just so afraid of letting them dry out that I've gone to the opposite extreme, I guess! Is there a book called House Plants For Dummies? I sure could use a copy! biggrin.gif Thanks for the help!
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 11-Jun-2005, 10:51 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

female

Allen, how's the shamrocks? They are still living, huh! biggrin.gif the one I abought in March is out growing the pot it came inso it's time for me to repot it. It's full of the little bell shaped flowers and that makes it stand out now more than ever. I hope yur's is doing as well! biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 12-Jun-2005, 04:45 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

They are both still alive, but they look pretty rough. I don't know if they are going to make it much longer! sad.gif Maybe I need to repot mine too. With my luck that will just kill them!
Nancy-Raven 
Posted: 24-Jun-2005, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

So how is your shamrock?I suppose to receive a plant of dragon blood clover(shamrock)a native plant in the south US and it was use by native I think the cherokee.It is meddicinal.In winter it should be put (any shamrock you wish as indoor plant)in front of a winter so it could feel the frost of the winter and sleep,not suppose to grow.At this time of the year it should be put outdoor or put in a place with lot of sun or insect and disease will appear in great number.There is a legend I like about this plant .It's a celtic legend , the daughter of a giant I think it's the goddess Olwen.Everywhere the goddess walk , the shamrock appear ,leaving behind her beauty and life of nature and luck to those who carry a leaf with respect of her creation.Nice legend , I like it.

You know the type of soil you use can help to maintain the plant healthy and water too(plant don't specially like water treat with lot of produce like tap water).
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 24-Jun-2005, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

I think maybe that I need to replant them in a larger container with better soil and fertilizer. They are in direct sunlight too, which may be a problem. I think I'm gonna put them both in one container. They are still looking pretty bad.
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 01-Oct-2005, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Hi everybody! I've been meaning to write here for a while now, but keep getting distracted with other topics!

A month or two ago, my mother in law repotted my girls for me, putting both together in one larger pot, and they are looking beautiful again! they have bunches of pretty little white flowers again!

I try to set them outside as often as possible so they can get some sunlight, but I bring them in if it looks like rain, since the pot doesn't have very good drainage. I also make sure I bring them in before night, since don't want frost to get them!

What should I expect of them through the winter? Will they dry up and turn brown or stay green? I don't know much about plants (obviously). Should I continue to take them outside some in the colder months or just keep them indoors? Close to or far from the windows? Any other pointers?
Nancy-Raven 
Posted: 03-Oct-2005, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

I just bring my dragonblod shamrock inside yesterday.Last year was the first time I bring plant inside , those who were all the summer outside.Yes your plant should stay green,if it became brown and die it mean the plant is die.It should stay alive but not growing.The plant have to feel the difference of temperature.During the winter , put the plant in room where it is not too hot and close to a window to get a max of light and in the same time it is more cold when put in front a window.If the plant continue to grow the first week you bring it inside,cut the new leaves.The plant should sleep.In spring when it will not be too cold , you can put it outside and bring it inside for the night to avoid frost.During the winter , be very carefull and every week take a look on the plant.Winter is a good period for disease and insect and every changement of the plant could be a sign.I know it can looks like complicated but all you have to remember is a cold temperature,less watering,a lot of light and a check up every week to be sure everything is fine.Hope it help , if you need more info feel free to ask.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 26-Feb-2006, 08:50 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

female

Hey Allen, how's yur' shamrocks? St Patrick's Day will be here for you know it, time to get those babies lookin' good. biggrin.gif My shamrock has made it thru the winter, I'm hoping to buy her a couple of friends to keep her company, just as soon as I can find some.

maggiemahone1
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 27-Feb-2006, 06:03 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Well, they survived the winter! Still green! Not as full as when I first got them, though. I have discovered that the optimal watering frequency for them is about 8 oz every 2 days. If I wait any longer, they start to droop. Do you know if there is any sort of fertilizer or plant food I could use that would help them to get full again?
stoirmeil 
Posted: 27-Feb-2006, 10:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

This is pretty comprehensive loooking about oxalis care:
http://www.bachmans.com/retail/tipsheets/i...OtherOxalis.cfm

It looks like this article is saying -- when your shamrock looks like it needs a rest, let it rest. Don't force it. But once it starts to bloom, feed it regular excel-gro liquid fertilizer.
PMEmail Poster               
Celtic cat 
Posted: 01-Jun-2006, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Florida

female

Hey Wizard how have you and your plants been doing? I am thinking about getting some shamrocks when I move into my new place. The idea came about when I was in the book store the other day and they were selling those little prepackaged kits. One was a shamrock kit for $6 something, it had peat in it and two seeds. I didn't get it because I figured I could get a better deal. But anyway do I need to get peat too if I get some seeds? Oh and we have some small clovers that grow in florida, does anyone know what those are?

--------------------
*~Extinction is Forever~*

"For Those Who Can't Speak, We Must" -Tiger Creek
http://www.tigercreek.org/

"Man is born free, but is everywhere in chains."
~Jean-Jacques Rousseau

*Cha shoirbh triubhas a chur air cat.
Its not easy to put trews on a cat.* CR

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt