Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lord Of The Rings, Has anyone trod the Road to Mordor?
Bookmark and Share
DesertRose 
Posted: 27-Jan-2005, 06:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Haldur! I wondered about The Silmarillion because I have that book too. It was a gift to me and when I looked through it, it looked like it would be a very difficult read. I really must get to my Hobbit and LOTR books! Been watching my ROTK DVD extended version instead. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Haldur 
Posted: 22-Feb-2005, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

I'm envious now, Rose! LOL

You've got ROTK extended edition! I love that movie, all 3 in fact! smile.gif

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 22-Feb-2005, 06:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Haldur! Shame! You don't have ROTK extended version DVD...........yet? Do you have any of them in extended version? IMHO, they never should have cut out any of those scenes to begin with and should have added more! who cares if each movie lasts 12 hours! laugh.gif
morgana_l_f 
Posted: 22-Feb-2005, 08:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHolly

Realm: North Dakota

female

I read the trillogy when I was in Jr. High. I was talking to my cousin across the country and found out she was reading it too. What was even freeker was we were on the same page jawdrop.gif I was so taken by the books that I wanted to make them into a movie when I was older, but SOMEBODY beat me to it. :sad.gif Now that it is such a widely regarded movie, I can just steal from it when I start making movies. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
BarryTone 
Posted: 24-Mar-2005, 09:02 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (erickbloodax @ 19-Jan-2005, 09:51 PM)
I really wonder if the Silmarrillion was meant for publication sometimes; it is so hard to get through, but still some great stories there.

Actually the Silmarillion was not something that Tolkien himself ever intended to publish... at least not in that form.

The Silmarillion, as published was actually compiled by Christopher Tolkien and Guy Gavriel Kay from JRR Tolkien's notes. There were multiple versions of most of the tales in the Silmarillion, many with only minor variations, and the Chris Tolkien and Kay culled through copious amounts of often contradictory writings to glean what they could from it and turn it into the Silmarillion.

Overall I'd say they did a fine job. No other fantasy author has ever created a world with the detail of history - going all the way back to the creation of the world - that Tolkien did. All in all its a staggering work.

As a side note, Guy Gavriel Kay is something of an accomplished author in his own right. His writing is elegant and flowing, and he develops wonderful characters and interesting cultural details in his works. I certainly enjoy his writing and wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
Posted: 26-Mar-2005, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

I love Tolkien's books and have read LOTR many many times since i stumbled over it in our library when i was a teenager. The dvds are great and yes, I have the extended versions wink.gif. I read the Silmarillion which I love, even tho it is hard to read it in one go. Maybe you fare better if you go through it storywise or topicwise - such as what happened to the Elves, what happened in Valinor. How was Ea created? And then of course Numenor ...

And keep in mind that the Silmarillion is more of a backdrop scenario, long in the past of LotR. But i would recommend it any time as well as the LotR , even tho i have to admit the start is a bit slow ... but then wink.gif

Happy reading smile.gif

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 26-Mar-2005, 08:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Faileas! Thanks for the advice! It has been a long time seeing you. Hope you have been well. smile.gif
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 27-Apr-2005, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (BarryTone @ 24-Mar-2005, 10:02 PM)

As a side note, Guy Gavriel Kay is something of an accomplished author in his own right. His writing is elegant and flowing, and he develops wonderful characters and interesting cultural details in his works. I certainly enjoy his writing and wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

This is true. I have read a couple of Kay novels and enjoyed them.
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 27-Apr-2005, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

I finished reading TROTK around Christmas time. I've since been reading the apendicies, and as boring as they may seem, they bring a level of reality to Middle Earth that even our own history books lack. Sadly enough, I know more about the kings of Rohan than I do my own. unsure.gif

For anyone who fears the apendicies, take the advice of the author, and follow the refferences throughout. (ex. 1 pp. III 51,79 etc., of course meaning pages 51 and 79 in book three) They bring an even stronger reality to the world. Last night I was reading the line of the Kings of Rohan, and they spoke of Baldor, who vowed to travel the paths of the dead durring his father, the king's feast celebrating the finishing of Edoras' Golden Hall. He was never again seen, and I followed the refference to the time where Aragorn found him, and spoke of 'nine mounds and seven (where the two lines of kings rested) and he has rested here all this time' or something to that effect. When reading the book, I never understood this. It was just a dead guy wearing loads of gold and armour. Aragorn had this profound moment, and without the apendicies, I never would have known.

It's not just a back story, it actually enriches the world and events at the end of the third age. It was also nice to understand just why, at least in the films, Theoden kept saying 'I know that face', and why looking at Eowyn always brought him to clarity, and a smile. She was the daughter of his sister, and in the apendicies it explains that Theoden loved Theowyn so much, and that she was the fairest of the daughters of Kings. No doubt, to look at Eowyn reminded him much of his dead sister.

Also, how Theoden was actually born and raised in Minas Tirith, and died there, and was even laid to rest there, for a time, before he returned to Edoras to join the ring of mounds.

........... yeah, I could go on all day.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Rindy 
Posted: 27-Apr-2005, 07:37 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi Old Raven, you are one of those people who are lucky to retain what they read..anymore I don't remember details like that.. WOW you lucky person. I know I have learned so much of the Irish and Scottish cultures, I think I know more about it than the state I live in..sad isn't it. You make me want to re-read the book but I am having enough troubles getting throuh a Diana Gabaldon book.
Have a great evening.

Slainte
Mairi

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 27-Apr-2005, 08:28 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Thanks. But to be fair, it takes the right subject. And those subjects are pretty rare. wink.gif For every thing I remember, I forget ten more. Tolkien makes it easy, though. The passion with which you read reflects the passion with which it was writen.............. yeah........... tongue.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Faileas 
Posted: 28-Apr-2005, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

Agreed wink.gif! I feel that same enthusiasm when i write on my Darkover RPGs and i can feel a similar to MZBs novels ... Only few authors manage that and my deepest respect for any who do biggrin.gif.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt