Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lord Of The Rings, Has anyone trod the Road to Mordor?
Bookmark and Share
Haldur 
Posted: 16-Dec-2004, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

Greetings all!

I have actually read the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien (note my avatar) one time through and have attempted to get started reading it a second time. It is quite a big book, sort of like the movies but with more description in regards to the history of Middle Earth, the Elves, Aragorn, and of course the Hobbits. The fascinating thing about the book is its vivid telling of the story which surprisingly the movie stuck fairly close to (although there are variations, as with any movie adaptation) and also Tolkien's intense interest in history, language, and medieval legends.

If you have read The Lord of the Rings (or are currently reading it) feel free to add any comments about the written work and perhaps any of your own thoughts regarding the book's relation to the movie trilogy. Personally, I read the book after seeing the first two films but before the release of the final installment "The Return of the King"...I have to say, reading the ending to this marvelous tale was a rush that truly made me giddy about viewing the last film in the trilogy.

slante!

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
maisky 
Posted: 17-Dec-2004, 09:05 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

I have read Tolkien's masterwork a number of times over the years. I discovered it while in college. It nearly made me fail a couple of courses. I simply could NOT put the story down for such mundane things as classes, studying, etc. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
dfilpus 
Posted: 17-Dec-2004, 09:56 AM
Quote Post

Vainamoinen
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

Of the many times that I have read the Lord of the Rings, I found the best to be when I read it out loud to my kids. We would read it as a bedtime story, a chapter or a half chapter at a time. I would sing the songs and recite the poetry as poetry. It is quite an experience.

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 17-Dec-2004, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I have read the books many times also, I first came across them in the 70's. I thought it was hard to really imagine all these places and what all of this looked like. I am so glad they finally had the movie so I could put it all together. I was totally blown away by the movies. What an imagination this man had, WOW! I would read them again and again.

Slainte
Rindy

book.gif
PMEmail Poster               
susieq76 
Posted: 17-Dec-2004, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

I too have read the books! The first time I read them in high school, I didn't make it through the second book because it depressed me so much. But when I went back through them after seeing the first movie, I loved them! I was pretty voracious, like maisky. And read some of his other stuff. I have tried three times to get through the Silmarillion, but get bogged down. I have also read some of the books - The Hobbit, and all of Fellowship of the Ring to my daughter, but am saving the rest for when she is a bit older.

I love these books so much, and his writing style is incomparable to most other writers. C.S. Lewis is also great, especially as they were contemporaries.

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Haldur 
Posted: 17-Dec-2004, 02:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Thank you all for the responses! I have to agree that Tolkien had quite a vivid imagination, one that would prove to inspire many other authors and readers alike...especially one Peter Jackson!

Susie, I agree that after attempting to read the Silmarillion I was in need of a long break from reading altogether! I don't know what it was, it just seemed a little too indepth historically. On another thread, entitled "Ideas for Writers", there was a discussion about how there's a lack of really groundbreaking fantasy writers these days (apart from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series) much like Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and even Isaac Asimov. Even though Tolkien's work is a grand accomplishment, why hasn't anyone else tried to do something like it but not plagiaristic.

Basically, it would be awesome if writers could carry the torch of the fantasy writers of old, combining folklore, legend, mythology, and a knack for the adventurous (perhaps even humorous?) to spice things up a bit!

Once again, thank you for your responses!
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 07-Jan-2005, 02:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Read LOTR, oh about five times, since the 70's. My kids got into it after the release of the FOTR film. Now there are three LOTR fanatics in my home.
When they were younger (19 and 16 now) we read, aloud, to them The Hobbit. Reading aloud to your children is great. We read through most of the Redwall series by Brian Jacques this way.
PMEmail Poster               
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 07-Jan-2005, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

Of course I read all the books! And way before the movies! When I first tried to read them, it was alittle bit difficult for me to understand the "advanced writing" and lanquage such used in the book. I was younger. I just forgot about the books for acouple of years and picked them up a few years back, and read them just fine! He was such an amazing author, and to think...just writing them for his grandchildren...nothing else!

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
Dugadelphia 
Posted: 07-Jan-2005, 08:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: The Pacific Northwest...land of tall trees, blue water, software and endless lattes

male

As a father who is fond of reading to his children, I am curious as to what ages your kids were when you read to them The Hobbit and LOTR?

--------------------
Welcome to the Machine...
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 07-Jan-2005, 08:22 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I think you are a wonderful parent to read to your children. Books are a wonderful thing.

Slainte
Rindy
PMEmail Poster               
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 08-Jan-2005, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

Hmm...I thought the movie storyline was pretty smooth and easy to understand. Of course and read and new the books before I saw the movies! I wouldn't know for someone who hasn't!
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 10-Jan-2005, 12:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Dugadelphia @ 07-Jan-2005, 08:05 PM)
As a father who is fond of reading to his children, I am curious as to what ages your kids were when you read to them The Hobbit and LOTR?

When we read them the Hobbit, I think they were 9 and 6. They are 19 and 16 now.
PMEmail Poster               
erickbloodax 
Posted: 19-Jan-2005, 09:51 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Arizona

male

I have read LOTR many times. I have even read the Unfinished Tales, Leaf by Nigel, Farmer Giles of Ham and the Silmarrillion. I really wonder if the Silmarrillion was meant for publication sometimes; it is so hard to get through, but still some great stories there. The LOTR is such a wonderful book because of the detail that was put into the Silmarrillion and unfinished Tales. Sad to say there are a few things that you might skip over without understanding how important the action, or the person, if you have not read those two.

--------------------
If you don't come back muddy and bloody, you didn't have a good time.
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 21-Jan-2005, 03:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

I am ashamed to admit that I have not read any of the books and yet there they all sit in my book shelf just waiting to be devoured. For some reason I wanted to see the movies first and then read the books. Now I have no excuse.

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Haldur 
Posted: 26-Jan-2005, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Well I will tell you this CelticRose, having read both the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit once, I was definitely immersed into Tolkien's world! He makes everything so real, almost historical and his mark for detail is spectacular.

I think that The Hobbit was more of a children's book than LOTR, which is so expansive...it's by far, the largest book I've ever read. Another big book I've been working on for like a year and a half has been Stephen King's "The Stand" which has to be his best work! I can't get past the last part of The Stand because I get started on other books and the last part is sort of anti-climactic in a way.

I have had so much trouble reading The Silmarillion that I've given up on it for now...it is a difficult read! The Mabinogion is similar but it's got an excuse because it was translated from one language to Old English I believe...The Silmarillion is beyond me!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt