DesertRose 
Posted: 29-Jan-2005, 04:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Irish is doing well. Wild one at that! She is a real character. Nikki got real snappy with her yesterday and I had to correct him and by the tone of my voice, it scared Irish and she cowered to me. That made me really sad. I never ever hit or scream at my dogs, but I can give some pretty good dirty looks and a tone of voice that will let them know that mommy is not pleased with their behavior!

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 29-Jan-2005, 04:23 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I know what you mean Rose. All I have to do is point my finger at Ninja and he snarls and growls at me. We are still using the bark collar at night . He will still bark viciously and now my husband wants to up the shock part. I just hate it. But I don't like him doing that either. You can't open my Sons door or he attacks.... Don't know why either. How old is Nikki? We had a black and tan coonhound named that. She was so sweet...

Hope everyone gets a long over the weekend. LOL laugh.gif

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 03-Feb-2005, 09:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Here's a bit of a progress report on wee Seamus. Yes, we decided on Seamus as his name as Chinook seems to think he's a little "interloper".

He's been a really ill puppy I'm afraid. He spent Monday and Tuesday night in the animal hospital, and has tested positive for parvovirus. He's back home now, but taking more pills than my wife and I combined. He really hates those Tigan suppositories. It really was nip and tuck for a bit, but we're finally starting to believe that he'll survive.

I spent quite a while with the shelter manager this afternoon, and she was very good about reviewing their procedures with me and discussing the problem in a reasonably candid manner, at least once she figured out that I wasn't buying the counter-girls "it's really not parvo, it is something else" B.S. I think the manager realized that I was becoming more than mildly irritated with the little twit lying to me and thought it wise to intervene before I blew a head-gasket. She was correct in doing so.

Parvo has been a major problem at the shelter this year, moreso than in the general canine population up here. They have had to "depopulate" their puppy room twice since fall, and they still can't seem to get it under control.

Usually I try to encourage folks looking for a dog to adopt from the shelter, but until they get this problem under control I'm afraid I have to withdraw my support. We've spent nearly $1,000.00 bucks in veterinary, pharmacy and hospital fees keeping this poor little fellow alive, and most folks seeking to adopt a dog can't afford to do that. Hell, we can't afford to do it either. censored.gif

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 03-Feb-2005, 11:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Just to be sure there is no confusion. I've been using the same vet clinic for several years. They were right on top of things. In fact, they jumped right into gear assuming it was parvo when we explained that we had adopted Seamus from the shelter, having seen several shelter puppies with the same problem over the past few months.

The person who tried to cover it up was the receptionist at the shelter where we adopted Seamus. I think she's probably an intern, work-study student from the U or maybe even a convict doing community service. The shelter has no affiliation with our vet at all.

S
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 04-Feb-2005, 10:34 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I am sorry I assumed it was the vet. I am so glad to hear that. How is the Seamus doing today? He is so cute!!

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 04-Feb-2005, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Thank you for asking. Seamus is feeling much better today. He tackled his food bowl with enthusiam and currently he thinks he is hiding beneath the table, exercising his curious teeth. Mostly he is keeping me on my toes as I make sure he does so on his chew toys rather than things he should not be playing with.

Swanny biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 04-Feb-2005, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Swanny! I am so sorry to hear about your wee Seamus. You know? I have heard a lot of problems with parvo being in shelters. I don't understand that myself because aren't all those dogs vaccinated? I am glad your vet caught the problem quickly and that wee Seamus is getting better. I hope he continues to do so quickly. That is an awful lot of money to spend. I know, I went through it myself this past year and spent about that much if not more on a very sick dog that we finally had to put down.
DesertRose 
Posted: 04-Feb-2005, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Rindy1202 @ 29-Jan-2005, 04:23 PM)
I know what you mean Rose. All I have to do is point my finger at Ninja and he snarls and growls at me. We are still using the bark collar at night . He will still bark viciously and now my husband wants to up the shock part. I just hate it. But I don't like him doing that either. You can't open my Sons door or he attacks.... Don't know why either. How old is Nikki? We had a black and tan coonhound named that. She was so sweet...

Hope everyone gets a long over the weekend. LOL laugh.gif

Slainte

Hi Rindy! Nikki is 9 years old and can get very cranky! Most of the time he is a real sweetie though. that is not good that Ninja does that to your son. I would be very concerned about that. How old is Ninja?

Have a great weekend!
Swanny 
Posted: 05-Feb-2005, 12:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

I don't understand that myself because aren't all those dogs vaccinated?

Seamus was vaccinated when he arrived at the shelter, we picked him up two days later. It takes a few days for the vaccine to provide a degree of immunity, and it often takes two or even three boosters for parvo vaccines to provide adequate immunity. It's a very pernacious and contagious bug. All the more reason for EVERYONE

Not all dogs are vaccinated when they arrive at the shelter. Unfortunately, the shelter staff has to decide which ones are most likely to be adopted. Those are vaccinated immediately. If they are uncertain about a dog or think it will be difficult to place the dog before the deadline (and I do mean DEADline), they hold off. Their budget is very tight.

On the other hand they try to isolate unvaccinated dogs and keep them in a separate room from the others.
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 05-Feb-2005, 12:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Oops. Fat fingers got in the way there.

I was trying to type "all the more reason for everyone to ensure their dogs are vaccinated on schedule, as advised by your veterinarian".

Any dog that winds up in the shelter is going to be stressed, and of course stress tends to depress their immune systems. Even the best maintained and managed shelters are hot-beds of animal diseases. Many strays have never been vaccinated so tend to bring in everything imaginable.

There is no way I could work in a shelter, especially a municipal shelter such as ours. Even though I understand the necessity, I'm afraid when it came time to "depopulate" the puppy room or euthanize perfectly good dogs just because no one was interested in adopting them this particular week I'd fall apart.

I'm just too soft hearted to be a good animal control officer.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 05-Feb-2005, 01:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks for the enlightenment, Swanny. I really didn't think of a lot of those things. I could never work in a place like that as I would be wanting to take all those pups home to keep them from being euthanized. It is really such a very sad situation. I have never even stepped foot in a shelter, even though all of the dogs but two I have ever owned have been rescue dogs.
Rindy 
Posted: 06-Feb-2005, 04:58 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 04-Feb-2005, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (Rindy1202 @ 29-Jan-2005, 04:23 PM)
I know what you mean Rose.  All I have to do is point my finger at Ninja and he snarls and growls at me.  We are still using the bark collar at night .  He will still bark viciously and now my husband wants to up the shock part.  I just hate it.  But I don't like him doing that either.  You can't open my Sons door or he attacks....  Don't know why either.  How old is Nikki?  We had a black and tan coonhound named that.  She was so sweet...

Hope everyone gets a long over the weekend.  LOL laugh.gif

Slainte

Hi Rindy! Nikki is 9 years old and can get very cranky! Most of the time he is a real sweetie though. that is not good that Ninja does that to your son. I would be very concerned about that. How old is Ninja?

Have a great weekend!

Hi Rose, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. Ninja will be 5 in July. I guess these dogs live 16 to 18 years. And supposedly don't have many health problems. They do shed oh my do they shed. Suzie my sheltie used to be groomed, they would put a little bow on her. They loved her. Ninja bit the groomer first time. At the vets, she put a tied cloth around his nose, he got out of that in two seconds. I have never seen a dog so fast with everything they do. He is a lot of fun though. Is wonderful with kids...

Swanny how is Seamus today? I hope all is well.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 06-Feb-2005, 07:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Yeah, the friend I had had two Schiperkee's (I can never spell that). They were barkers big time, but so very cute and loving. Wary of strangers though.

My Irish is a faster than a bullet with everything she does too! She can catch a toy faster than I can reach to throw it! She leaps over bushes in the back yard. she is amazing!
Swanny 
Posted: 07-Feb-2005, 12:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Swanny how is Seamus toda

Thank you for asking. Seamus had kind of a tough day. We did a trip to town to see the vet today. Dee was very gracious in coming in on her only day off to help me out with him. He got about 1/2 liter of NS sub-cutaneously, some B vitamins, some narcotic cough suppressant that put him RIGHT to sleep, and some high energy feed supplementation.

Basically he has no interest in food at all, and a bad cough thing going. Dee says it's like a raging sore throat. She feels like he's well over the parvo and this cough-gagging thing is an opportunitistic infection that took advantage of his weakened immune system. If we can keep him hydrated he'll probably recover nicely.

If it isn't one thing, it is another....

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 07-Feb-2005, 02:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Swanny, did the vet mention giving Seamus Pedia-lyte water? I give that to my dogs when they are sick and it keeps them well hydrated and their blood chemistry stable. My vet always suggests that I give them that water instead. Just a suggestion. Poor little guy has had a really rough time. Good thing he got a great home to take care of him in. Bless you!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt