DesertRose 
Posted: 16-Apr-2005, 07:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Thanks Rindy. I have a problem with both my dogs running out the front door at people when I open the door to people who have knocked. Some people don't like dogs and it scares them, but mine are just looking out for their master and when I greet the people, the dogs are ok. I need to work on that too.

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 17-Apr-2005, 12:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 16-Apr-2005, 04:35 PM)
Thanks Rindy. I have a problem with both my dogs running out the front door at people when I open the door to people who have knocked. Some people don't like dogs and it scares them, but mine are just looking out for their master and when I greet the people, the dogs are ok. I need to work on that too.

Dogs dashing out the door can be a real problem at times, but it can be solved through training. I train my dogs to "sit/stay" at doors, both going out and coming in. Also training "sit to greet" is a good idea. Chinook is really good about it, but the puppy (Seamus) is just a puppy and it's sooooooo hard to contain his excitement. biggrin.gif

Consistent repetition is the key.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
keltickal 
Posted: 17-Apr-2005, 03:05 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

male

If things work as planned, a picture of our Irish Setter Guinness should be visible in this post!

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Rindy 
Posted: 17-Apr-2005, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

that is so cute of your Irish setter!!!!

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 17-Apr-2005, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (keltickal @ 17-Apr-2005, 12:05 PM)
If things work as planned, a picture of our Irish Setter Guinness should be visible in this post!

That is very, very cute. Thanks for sharing.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 17-Apr-2005, 08:23 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi Swanny,

Its been awhile since I talked to you. How is Seamus doing now? Big? Yes, the sit thing is good, with this dog, I don't care what I do, I am the Alpha female and he is boss, unless I have a bottle of water in hand. LOL. I have owned many a dogs none like this one. Love him to death but he is stubborn.

Take care
Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 18-Apr-2005, 05:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi keltickal! What a great pic of your Irish Setter. They are beautiful dogs and love the cute pic of him/her.

Swanny! Great to see ya! Yes, running to the door is a big problem for me. One of my dogs is a retired show Sheltie and was purposely never taught to sit. So I need to work on both of them to at least "stay."

Rindy, you Ninja is more stubborn than a Sheltie? ohmy.gif
Swanny 
Posted: 18-Apr-2005, 06:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Celtic Rose, since you Sheltie is retired from the ring, there would be no harm in teaching your dog to sit. I think it is easier to train "stay" from "sit" than otherwise. Just an opinion though, and I'm sure other trainers have other opinions. Chinook has been easy to train, but Seamus is more of a challenge. He may well be my "stubborn one".

Here's a more recent photo of "the guys", taken on the 9th of March. Wee Seamus has already grown considerably since then. It's hard to keep up with them.

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 18-Apr-2005, 06:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Swanny! Your pic didn't work! sad.gif

Well I talked to the breeder/trainer when I got wee Irish back in October. Told her I was trying to teach her to sit and the breeder/trainer told me that I was taking away 7 years of training of "not to sit" from the dog. So I quit. But Irish will be staying with my critter sitter for a week while I am away in June. She is also a dog trainer and she told me she would have my Sheltie sitting in no time at all! so I don't know what to do and who to listen to! unsure.gif I know one thing, Irish does not want to sit and probably because of all her training.
Rindy 
Posted: 18-Apr-2005, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Swanny,

Your picture is working now.. Cuties!! Hows the weather there? They are calling for Rain and snow. We have been having fires already this year.. Not good. WE need the moisture very badly..

Hi CelticRose, yes, I've got a stubborn one here...talk about a personality!! WOW.. These dogs are for younger people..LOL

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 18-Apr-2005, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Celtic Rose, sorry 'bout any confusion. The picture is hosted on one of my own websites, and the server may have been down for a bit for maintenance and backup. Let me know if you're still having problems with the pic and I'll troubleshoot it.

Since the lovely wee Irish is your dog now, it's pretty much up to you how you wish the dog to be trained. If you plan to show her then stick with her current behavior, but if you need her to be a better behaved companion animal, then train her to behave as you wish. I would imagine your critter sitter will have her doing a fine sit, and perhaps even a solid sit/stay, in just a few days time.

Rindy, the weather up here is abysmal at the moment. It's +18 degrees and snowing hard. This after about two weeks of warm, clear skies that had break-up well on its way. Tonight's my last night at work, and in the morning I'm facing about a two hour drive home (sigh). I'm sure glad I didn't change out my winter tires yet.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 18-Apr-2005, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Swanny,

What do you do for work? If you don't want to say thats fine. Its really none of my business. Anyhow just wanted to say drive careful...Love your avatar by the way... I can't remember if I told you that or not..

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 19-Apr-2005, 04:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

What do you do for work?

I work as a paramedic/security officer at a remote pump station on the trans-Alaska pipeline. I usually work 12 hours/day, 2 weeks on/2 off. I only worked 1/2 my rotation this month because my wife passed away and I needed time to grieve. Still need more time of course, but at least I've been able to function well-enough to start rebuilding some sort of normal routine. It's been a very painful time for me.

Love your avatar by the way.

Thank you. The avatar is from the painting "The Jacobite" by Robert Griffing. Although the lithograph is long out of print (and worth TONS of money in the secondary art market), the image is still available as a note-card. Here's a larger view of it.

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 20-Apr-2005, 07:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

Swanny, I am sooo sorry to hear about your loss.

Siobhan Blues

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 20-Apr-2005, 09:26 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Oh Swanny, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Really I am . We are here for you and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.. I wish I could take your pain away....
My brother helped build the Alaska Pipeline, thats why he lived in Alaska. Several years ago.
My oldest brother that I lost in December was in the oil up there. He had lots of stories.

Thank you for the information on the avatar. Its even better close up. Keep in touch huh?

Mary "rindy"

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt