Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ideas For Writers, What book do you want written?
Bookmark and Share
maryellen 
Posted: 03-Dec-2004, 07:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

I like to write, but the most difficult part seems to be thinking of a good topic. Either non-fiction or fiction, what are some ideas you have for books or novels?

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 04-Dec-2004, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

biggrin.gif There's many I have brainstormed about, but none come to mind at the moment! tongue.gif Though, I love it when in a novel the changing of classes occurs (social standing) and the characters having to deal with it.

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 04-Dec-2004, 08:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Or taking a stand against some sort of corrupt government. Perticularly if people don't realise it's corrupt, adding the challenge of having to first expose the truth.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Mountain Legacy -- Born in the isles, raised in Appalachia
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 06-Dec-2004, 02:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

I love fiction. I would love to have a book written that has dragons and faeries and all sorts of cool folklorish type stuff. I mean Lord of the Rings is a great example but after you've read it the umpteenth time it gets a little old. I would love to see more books like that, and it doesn't even have to be as deep or theological. Just fun and imaginative.

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Haldur 
  Posted: 16-Dec-2004, 05:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

I would have to agree with you there Ceciliastar, Lord of the Rings can get old and I've only read the book once all the way through! Even after that, it was like, "What happened to that part of my life?" You know? "Where did that time go? I've grown three feet of hair, my wife's got a new car, and the sun has gotten bigger!" Basically, LOTR is an excellent book but is a little long winded in parts. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Tolkien's inspiration and his utilization of history, language, and culture but come on...sometimes you just need something real fun, humorous, and adventurous mixed in with dark themes, folklore, and medieval aspects!

The best stories in my opinion, are stories from the heart which tell of some obstacle or unpenetrable odds where the hero has been battered, cursed, spat upon, and then comes out flailing valiantly against a formidable foe. Such great examples are Ulysses from Homer's Odyssey, Jesus, Frodo in LOTR, and Beowulf just to name a few...bottom line, literature (at least bestselling literature for the most part) doesn't even come close to telling true legends, and just like commercial music sells out to the price of their product. It's sad, really, I mean Shakespeare or Tolkien never sought fame and fortune, just an outlet to express their emotions, desires, and passions, that's all!

The state of our current society has a lot to learn in that respect I believe.

Now that I'm done ranting, I'll go eat some supper! Farewell!

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
seadreamer 
Posted: 19-Dec-2004, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

male

Greetings,

Want more Wizards and Faeries?? How about "The Sword of Shannara" there's not a dog in anyone of those books written by Terry Brooks. Are they as good as Tolkien? Well, they have captured my attention for a good long time.

Another series of books that I very much loved were by Stephen R. Donaldson called "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever". I thought these books were absolutely smashing. These are not so much ideas for writers though as they are, Ideas for Readers Who want to Write Fantasy. Thomas Covenant has some very wierd metaphors in it.

Ciao,

GMD

--------------------
I will give you an example which I have often puzzled over. The spider dances her web without knowing there are flies who will get caught in it. The fly, dancing nonchalantly on a sunbeam, gets caught without knowing what lies in store. But through both of them "It" dances and inside and outside are united in this dance. So too, the Archer hits the target without having aimed - more I cannot say.

Zen in the Art of Archery
PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 19-Dec-2004, 12:27 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

Having a fun and humorous topic is always appreciated! I love it when writers put quotes before each chapter, or segmentation of the story they are writing. The quotes normally give you something to ponder, and then as you read the chapter or part of the story, you realize why they put it there. I love a book that makes me think!! I would most likely get bored writing or reading something that doesn't have a bazillion (however you spell it) twists and turns in it. With all the stuff modern society has today, most people turn to reading because they are BORED! and it is an authors job to not just express their thoughts and feelings within the book, but to try and erase that boredom from the lives of those people that read them! If you get bored writing a story, it is most likely that the person reading it will get bored too.

Just my two cents!

Cheers
PMEmail Poster               
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 19-Dec-2004, 12:38 PM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

QUOTE (Ceciliastar1 @ 06-Dec-2004, 02:42 PM)
I love fiction. I would love to have a book written that has dragons and faeries and all sorts of cool folklorish type stuff. I mean Lord of the Rings is a great example but after you've read it the umpteenth time it gets a little old. I would love to see more books like that, and it doesn't even have to be as deep or theological. Just fun and imaginative.

I am totally into the fantasy...the fiction...the amazing use of magic. Think of the Dungeons and Dragons!

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
Sėmeag 
Posted: 03-Mar-2009, 04:59 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Sassan

female

Anything where the old ones find their way into the modern world and wreak havoc. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Tha mi'n dochas gu bheil an eadar theangachadh ceart!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
Š2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics Š2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt