Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (Colin @ 25-Nov-2004, 12:08 PM)
I too voted for Martin. While I have never liked Chrietian, I did like some of his actions. I do like Martin, more for world issues, but haven't seen enough to judge him yet. I think MArtin was simply taking the first step in repairing a damaged relationship. Our two countries should be allowed to disagree without either side having a hissy fit and pouting. I think Chretian was similar to Bush in their personalities.

Agreed. There's no reason for this whole issue. Cretien, and most other Canadians, had every right to refuse entering Iraq. They continue to support the US forces elsewhere, but not in this one fight, and we get treated like traitors. I'd say Bush took a hissy fit, (closed the border to our beef after ONE cow was found, that originated in Montana; The whole BC lumber issue, etc.), and Cretien decided not to be intimidated by him. The blame is still lying on our shoulders for this whole tiff. Complete BS.

As for having lips attached to Bush's arse, I think you're looking at the wrong party leader. After all I still haven't even seen Stephan Harper or Ralph Klein's face, only the back of their heads. wink.gif

I can't argue with that. With this whole beef issue, Klein acts like our only hope of selling alberta beef is to get Bush to reopen the border. The truth is, there are a HELL of a lot more markets out there who would be more than willing to pay good money for our meat.

ok, this is turning into a rant that's starting to reek of anti-Americanism. I should explain that while I, and other Canadians, are treated as equals, and with much respect, on this site, I can't say that about all American web-sites. There are boards I wouldn't even think of posting this on, because of the way I get treated for simply being Canadian. I'm sure you guys know that I would never treat a neighbour with disrespect based on his nationality. I in no way blame anyone on this site for my rants, but know that they are all founded.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 25-Nov-2004, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #2
2,147,483,647 Gold!

QUOTE (oldraven @ 25-Nov-2004, 04:39 PM)

ok, this is turning into a rant that's starting to reek of anti-Americanism. I should explain that while I, and other Canadians, are treated as equals, and with much respect, on this site, I can't say that about all American web-sites. There are boards I wouldn't even think of posting this on, because of the way I get treated for simply being Canadian. I'm sure you guys know that I would never treat a neighbour with disrespect based on his nationality. I in no way blame anyone on this site for my rants, but know that they are all founded.

Hey, ya'll get pissed at us and we get pissed at you. Just like any other "family". But also just like family, we know if anything bad ever comes down the pike, we've got each other's backs. Canada's been our closest friend and ally for a long time. We sometimes take ya'll for granted and that's our fault, but we'll stick up for you when it counts.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted: 25-Nov-2004, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Well put, CS. And completely true. thumbs_up.gif
maisky 
Posted: 27-Nov-2004, 07:58 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Hey, ya'll get pissed at us and we get pissed at you. Just like any other "family". But also just like family, we know if anything bad ever comes down the pike, we've got each other's backs. Canada's been our closest friend and ally for a long time. We sometimes take ya'll for granted and that's our fault, but we'll stick up for you when it counts.

Well said, sir! Besides, why should we badmouth our Canadian friends when our own administration is a MUCH better target. biggrin.gif
WHY would our neighbors object to being invaded by US troops? The President says that the Iraquis are happy to have them THERE. We have to send them SOMEWHERE, since we don't want them HERE. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
maisky 
Posted: 07-Dec-2004, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

Here is a helpful story for Americans who may be going abroad:

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (AP) -- An American T-shirt company has a solution for their fellow citizens who want to vacation in Europe without having to answer questions about U.S. politics -- pose as Canadians.

For $24.95, T-shirtKing.com offers the "Go Canadian" package, full of just the kind of things an American traveler needs to leave their country and its politics behind.

There's a Canadian flag T-shirt, a Canadian flag lapel pin and a Canadian patch for luggage or a backpack. There's also a quick reference guide -- "How to Speak Canadian, Eh?" -- on answering questions about Canada.

It's the brainchild of employees at the Mountainair, New Mexico-based company known for novelty T-shirts it sells worldwide on the Internet.

"It's not meant as a slight against the United States or Canada," explained T-shirtKing.com President Bill Broadbent. "It was meant as something Republicans could give their Democrat friends to say 'C'est la vie.' ... But maybe not c'est la vie because that's a French word."

The "Go Canadian" idea sprouted after one of Broadbent's colleagues heard of someone being harassed about U.S. politics during a recent overseas trip.

Some people might not mind, but others "just want to be on vacation," Broadbent said. "So we were joking that they could just go as Canadians, and that just kind of evolved."

The package went up on T-shirtKing.com's Web site November 12 and the company had sold a couple hundred in the first two weeks or so. Many of the out-of-state buyers were in Michigan, Illinois, and the Seattle area, Broadbent said.

When lifelong Democrat Dani Delaney saw the package, she was immediately sold. After the general election, she said, "if I could move to Canada, I would."

"I admire their liberal, progressive stand on things," said the 57-year-old, part-time writing instructor at the University of New Mexico. "And I thought, 'Well, that's a good way to peacefully protest.'"

Sylvia Dawson's boyfriend has been joking that she needed to find him a Canadian flag for an upcoming trip to Spain. That's after his daughter, who is studying there, warned that he might be questioned about politics when he comes to visit.

So she bought a package.

"I said, 'What are you going to do if someone asks you about the prime minister of Canada?' And he said, 'I'll study up,"' Dawson said.

Such questions are the reason for the package's quick reference guide, which offers tips in case an American in disguise gets quizzed on Canada.

When it comes to sports, the guide suggests: "This is easy to remember. There is only one real sport in Canada and it is called hockey. Regardless of any trivia question, the answer is 'Wayne Gretzky."'

If a Canadian says he had to "deke out of a meeting," it means he avoided the meeting. If someone is headed to "Hogtown," that's Canadian for Toronto. A trip to "Cowtown" means the person is going to Calgary.

And in all cases, the guide advises: "If your vacation is to be stress free, leave those heavy politics behind and travel with a light heart and quick wit, Canadian style."
Swanny 
Posted: 08-Dec-2004, 12:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

For the most part I'm with you Old Raven. I'd rather preserve a friendly alliance than promote a 'hostile takeover'. BTW, we have a Canadian military presence in Alaska often, as our air-forces train together frequently out of Eileson and Elmendorff AFBs.

However, you wrote
And if US intelligence finds a wanted terrorist within Canada, I still don't see how it would be a good thing to allow the US military to arrest that person. Inform the Canadian Armed Forces, and we'll go get him for you.

If history provides the example, I'm afraid that isn't necessarily real likely. Remember that nut-case in Vancouver BC who planned and made substantial progress toward executing a plan to bomb the trans-Alaska oil pipeline in order to manipulate the crude oil futures market a few years ago? If we can't get RCMP assistance in dealing with one of type of terrorist why should we believe we would get assistance in dealing with another? I'm afraid I can't generate much confidence.

Even with that in mind, overall I see no reason to support and every reason to oppose the US annexation of Canada. Neither nation needs the headaches.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 08-Dec-2004, 10:28 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

I'm not saying the RCMP or CAF doesn't have its slack side, but I still can't accept giving US military personell jurisdiction to arrest on this side of the border. We need to increase funding of the CAF by at least threefold, and we need more incentives to draw in new recruits. And our Navy. Gah. We used to be world class, now we're outclassed by the world.

After hearing Martin speak of the missle defence program after Bush's visit, I for once have faith in the man. I can't quote him, but I can give the jist. 'We are a Sovereign nation, and defending it is our own responsibility. It's important that the two nations remain cooperative, but self sufficient.' (again, this isn't a quote) This is the first time, that I've seen, Martin has show potential to be a leader. It's about time.

The whole wearing Canadian flags abroad is nothing new. It's actually quite common. US citizens know the stars and stripes are hated by a good portion of the world, and yeah, those parts of the world can be severely discriminative. It does bother me that I know people who have seen this going on, and it's not shining a very good light on us. A co-workers wife was on a train somewhere in Europe, and there were a few young Americans getting drunk and making a scene, but had Canadian flags on their back packs. She thankfully called them on it, and pretty much said "This is how I know you're not Canadian. etc. If you want to continue to insult the entire nation, continue doing what you're doing."

I simply don't like the idea of anyone but a Canadian having any influence on the way the world see's Canadians.

And it brings an interesting point. We rely so much on your military to protect us at home, yet you need to hide under our flag elsewhere. You don't need the world's most powerful army when you don't have the rest of the world to worry about.
maisky 
Posted: 09-Dec-2004, 12:18 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

And it brings an interesting point. We rely so much on your military to protect us at home, yet you need to hide under our flag elsewhere. You don't need the world's most powerful army when you don't have the rest of the world to worry about.

Well said!! If we Americans didn't insist on practicing "Jerk" diplomacy and generally reinforcing the image of the "ugly American", we would be FAR more secure.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt