Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #2
2,147,483,647 Gold!

No, you're nor over reacting. You are the parent. Insist to your daughters that they must ask permission before any of their friends come over. I'm sure that, given what you've said, most of the time you'd agree. But don't feel guilty about saying no sometimes. Your daughters must learn that while they are important to you, the world in general does not revolve around them. In short, hold your daughters responsible for their friends actions at your house and put teeth in it. You'll be surprised how quickly you recieve co-operation.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 14-Nov-2004, 04:45 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Thank you! You've made me feel better about this morning.

Our daughters are good about asking our permission first, but they're being put on the spot by friends who're on the phone expecting them to ask us while they hang on. I always try to come up with a creative answer for them if I say "no". I just don't think they should be put in that spot in the first place. I wonder if their parents know what they're teaching their kids?

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
susieq76 
Posted: 15-Nov-2004, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

My guess is that those parents know exactly what they are doing. The same type of thing is happening to my neighbor across the street. I don't think you are overreacting. The rule at our house is that if other children don't reciprocate with invitations, then they don't get asked over as much. That is just teaching your children about give and take in friendship and life. What you teach them now about that will shape all their future relationships, so don't lose heart or give up. You are doing the right thing. And there is no law saying that you can't unplug your phone, or not answer it, or that your kids will be scarred for life for missing a few phone calls! smile.gif

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
gettin-away 
Posted: 28-Nov-2004, 05:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Flushing Michigan USA

male

And the worst part is they all grow up..... I've been a single father since my wife passed away in 1981. Just three and a half months after my daughter was born. My Amanda was born extremely premature, three months early and she weighed only 2 pounds. Early in her hospital stay she lost precious ounces until she weighed only 1 pound 11 ounces. That's lighter than a large loaf of bread. My daughter has cerebral palsy and at three I was told she probably wouldn't walk and she wouldn't finish school. The best she would do is wipe off tables in a fast food restaurant. It's been 23 long years with several operations and many obstacles but when my daughter graduated from our local public high school in 2000, she had a grade point average of 3.96 and she was chosen as her schools' Homecoming Queen and she walked onto the field to receive her crown. This past week she finished student teaching and she has passed the needed tests. She is a teacher cool.gif . In the Spring she will once again be student teaching, this time to earn her Special Education Endorsement.

But right now I'm a nervous wreck. On Dec. 1st, this Wednesday, she'll be entering the hospital for a rather involved surgery. The first part of the surgery will be to have her hamstrings of her left leg stretched. This will be the second time this will be done. The first time she was 3 years old. The second part of the surgery will be to break her hip and relocate it. On younger children this has helped with balance and walking. At Mandy's age her knee now depends on the tightness of both the hip and the hamstrings to support her. She is running the risk of possible walking with a knee brace the rest of her life or worse a wheelchair. Even when they're adults you can't stop worrying sad.gif . We could sure use your thoughts and prayers on Wednesday.

Thanks
gettin-away

--------------------
Paradox...Dirty socks...Glacier Rocks...Goldilocks

user posted image
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 28-Nov-2004, 06:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Be sure Mandy and you will be in my...and I think in our all...thoughts and prayers, gettin-away!

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
Dreamer1 
Posted: 28-Nov-2004, 10:48 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Special prayers for both of you. Give her hugs for all of us, and let her know she's in all our thoughts.

Dreamer1
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
maisky 
Posted: 29-Nov-2004, 08:24 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (Dreamer1 @ 14-Nov-2004, 01:44 PM)
Hi everyone,

So, now that I've ranted, please tell me what you think. Am I being unreasonable and mean? Or am I justified, and within my rights to want a quiet day without anyone coming over? How would you handle things? Please let me know what you honestly think, and thanks for letting me spout.

Dreamer1 angel_not.gif

You are NOT over-reacting. A thought for you, though. If the parties are at YOUR house, you know what is going ON at the parties.... biggrin.gif My owner (second wife) and I took that approach with some success. Having a pool helped loads.
You DO have to feel free to say no sometimes.

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
maisky 
Posted: 29-Nov-2004, 08:26 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (gettin-away @ 28-Nov-2004, 04:59 PM)
And the worst part is they all grow up..... I've been a single father since my wife passed away in 1981. Just three and a half months after my daughter was born. My Amanda was born extremely premature, three months early and she weighed only 2 pounds. Early in her hospital stay she lost precious ounces until she weighed only 1 pound 11 ounces. That's lighter than a large loaf of bread. My daughter has cerebral palsy and at three I was told she probably wouldn't walk and she wouldn't finish school. The best she would do is wipe off tables in a fast food restaurant. It's been 23 long years with several operations and many obstacles but when my daughter graduated from our local public high school in 2000, she had a grade point average of 3.96 and she was chosen as her schools' Homecoming Queen and she walked onto the field to receive her crown. This past week she finished student teaching and she has passed the needed tests. She is a teacher cool.gif . In the Spring she will once again be student teaching, this time to earn her Special Education Endorsement.

But right now I'm a nervous wreck. On Dec. 1st, this Wednesday, she'll be entering the hospital for a rather involved surgery. The first part of the surgery will be to have her hamstrings of her left leg stretched. This will be the second time this will be done. The first time she was 3 years old. The second part of the surgery will be to break her hip and relocate it. On younger children this has helped with balance and walking. At Mandy's age her knee now depends on the tightness of both the hip and the hamstrings to support her. She is running the risk of possible walking with a knee brace the rest of her life or worse a wheelchair. Even when they're adults you can't stop worrying sad.gif . We could sure use your thoughts and prayers on Wednesday.

Thanks
gettin-away

Congratulations!!! You should BOTH be proud of this achievement! While the physical obstacles she still faces will be significant, they are NOTHING compared to what you and she have already overcome. You will both be in my prayers.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
susieq76 
Posted: 29-Nov-2004, 10:35 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

We are definitely praying for you, gettin-away! Let us know how everything goes. I know you are SO proud of your daughter - what an incredible woman she is! I can only hope that I will be able to pass the obstacles in my life with as much grace and strength and courage as she has.
gettin-away 
Posted: 29-Nov-2004, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

I work the main counter at our local post office and today we really got hit with the start of the Christmas rush. I am normally right on top of things, but boy I could not even begin to concentrate today. I'm a walking bundle of nerves right now. We have gone through so much over the years and yet it doesn't get any easier.

I just talked to my parents. They live about 150 miles away, but they are arriving in town tomorrow afternoon to pick my daughter up and treat her to a good dinner. They are also staying in town for the surgery. Since I have to have everyone at the hospital Wednesday morning at 5:30am, Mandy and I are going to stay the night in the motel with them.

Thought I would share a couple of pictures of when she was born. Gives a little perspective.

She was only a few days old here. Weight 1 pound 11 ounces. The wires are hooked to monitors. The black tube is hooked to a ventilator. She is on a tiny water bed inside an incubator and the bubble wrap is for additional warmth.

This was in June 1981

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
gettin-away 
Posted: 29-Nov-2004, 08:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

And this is about two months later. She is off the vent now but she still needs higher oxygen levels. The round plastic thing is like an oxygen tent. She can't feed on her own yet so the tube taped to her mouth runs into her stomach. She is fed through that.

Thanks again for your prayers.

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
gettin-away 
Posted: 03-Dec-2004, 05:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

A quick update before I stumble off to bed. My daughter, Mandy came through her surgery well. She had her left hip cut in two, twisted slightly and rejoined using a plate. She also had her abductor in her left thigh cut part way through to loosen the tightness and stretch it out some. The same was done with her left hamstring. Since she is 23 years old she originally planned on me only missing one day of work to be with her. After coming from recovery she asked me to stay the night. I spent the last two nights sleeping in a chair in her hospital room and not leaving her side the whole time she was there. Tonight she is at her Grandmas house. I live in a second floor apartment while Grandma has a Ranch style home. Since Grandma wanted to take over, I'm home right now to get a good night sleep before returning in the morning to change her dressing. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

........night
Annham 
Posted: 03-Dec-2004, 09:59 PM
Quote Post

Seeker of Harmony
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

I'm getting in on this a little late, but I am glad to hear that the surgery went well. I'll be thinking of you, Mandy and your family and hoping she has a quick recovery.
Anne

--------------------
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

~ Dalai Lama
21st century spiritual and political leader of Tibet and Nobel Peace Prize winner (1989)
PMEmail Poster               
susieq76 
Posted: 26-Jan-2006, 12:57 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

And I am terribly late with this post. But please let me add my prayers for you and your daughter again. How is she doing now? How are you holding up?
gettin-away 
Posted: 29-Jan-2006, 01:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

I guess after over a year it's time to post an update.

After Mandy's surgery she continued school. In May 2005 she graduated Magna Cum Laude with a special education degree. In July 2005 she accepted a teaching job in Bethel Alaska. 3310 miles away from our home. She flew there in August to set up a home and get adjusted to her new life. Bethel is on the west coast of Alaska and there are no roads to it. You fly in. There are roads and vehicles in town once you get there. She came home over Christmas for two weeks. She has lost 5 pounds while there and is now down to 88 pounds. That worries me alot. She has fallen many times. Most of her clothes are mudstained. Last Thursday night she called to tell me when her contract ends in May she won't be renewing it. The leaving conditions, the culture shock and the severe cold (-60* windchills) have all taken there toll on her. But what an adventure she has had.

gettin-away
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt