Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 10:26 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

This thread is about parenting.Where all are invited to share their experience in being a parent these days.

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 10:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Wake Forest, NC

male

I think this topic is a great idea!

I'm not sure how much I'll be able to contribute, but I'll sure try.

I have a 5 year old daughter, whom is not currently living with me. I live in Florida, she lives in Pennsylvania with her mom. Next year, my wife and I will be moving north to be closer to her. But I can tell you I cherish every opportunity I get to visit her, or talk to her on the phone. She was supposed to come visit us here in FL this coming weekend, but the whole broken wrist thing caused us to postpone a couple of months. sad.gif Oh well, I know soon enough we'll be close to her.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
susieq76 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 10:40 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

Hey Brian! You most certainly can contribute! I can't even imagine having to share custody with someone else. My daughter's father has not been in her life, and so I am spared that. My heart goes out to you, especially after having to miss a visit.

But please, jump right in and make yourself at home. Start a topic if there is something you want to chat about cool.gif

And I hope your wrist is feeling better!
Spradley 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

Rocky Mtn Highlander and Renaissance Scot
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Colorado

male

Awesome idea Susie! I'm a 37 yr old father of a 6 yr old son and a 2 yr old daughter. My wife and I have been busting our tail-ends trying to have her stay home and raise the kids ourselves. It's been a tough and wonderful 6 years. Unfortunately reality has reared it's ugly head and circumstances have forced us to have Ann-Marie go back to work. Neither she nor I are not happy about it, but were thankful for the good start she's been able to give the kids.

My son is in to ice skating and wants to play hockey when he's old enough. He's also just starting gymnastics. He started kindergarten at the beginning of September.

My daughter is a lovable little red-head with the temper to match. She wants to do highland dance, but isn't old enough yet for any of the programs out here.

Sláinte laugh.gif

Brad

--------------------
Sláinte

Brad

Deus Juvat "God Assists"

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Robert A. Heinlein

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Hey, I see it worked out. biggrin.gif

I'm not a parent, at least, not yet. I've got 7 1/2 months left before that bomb hits. wink.gif

I'm looking forward to being a part of this though, and be sure, there will be LOTS of questions and crying.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
susieq76 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 02:43 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

I agree totally, you guys. I have had a lot of issues that my daughter and I are struggling with, and I just longed for someone else to talk to about it all.

My daughter has ADD (and so do I) and it has been a constant struggle the past year to do anything. And to see her so sad because she knows that things are haywire, but can't stop herself is very hard! Oldraven, I certainly have had my share of tears! But I wouldn't trade it for the world!! As hard as things have been, and lately we have been barely making it, it is all worthwhile.

I am really excited about this forum, and hope that it will blossom and benefit everyone who enters it. I hope to hear from you all many more times!
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 03:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

female

I'm a 45 yrs old single Mum and my sons are 15 and 19. I have brought them up alone for the last couple of years after my divorce. Unfortunately their father didn't ( and still doesn't ) care much about them. He is living a new life where there is no place for them.
My sons didn't get along well with their father leaving, got mentally sick and we had had some pretty hard years. Today they are both back to par, self-confident and strong and working on their future. I'm awfy proud of them.
Well, I certainly had my share of tears...but much more my share of joy and happiness.

Brian, I pull my hat to a father like you smile.gif .
Oldraven, I think we will be able to dry your future tears tongue.gif ...
Susie, thank you for starting this forum...great idea! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
susieq76 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

Thank you, Gaberlunzie!
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

Hey susie,

I think it's a great idea to exchange experiences with kids. I am 32 and have a 9 year old son who is my pride and joy.

He is an A student and I am happy that I have him with me since my exhusband isn't taking care of him besides the childsupport.

It was hard on my son for a while and now it's all better since we moved so far away from Texas.

Well have to run - Football Practice

Great Idea Susie.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Shadows 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Ok where do I start? I am an old fart with a wife and 6, count them, kids from the ages of 27 down to 11, 3 boys and 3 girls! I have almost no hair left and what is there is getting grey! I have been married for 30 years this past August. Any advice I can give I will, I have not lived through everything that can happen with kids, but I damned sure have lived through a lot!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
Keltic 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 10:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

Time for me to jump in...

I have four children, a 12 year old girl and three boys, 8, 3 and 15 months old. We homeschool our children. I still have all my hair and I seem to be growing more.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 11:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

I am 28 and have 2 boys of my own...ages 6 and 8. I also have 3 step-children...15 year old girl, and 2 "boys" at 18 and 23, and they all live with their mom. The 18 year old boy lived with us for 7 years before moving back to mommy. He didn't like how strict our household was. So, I've raised toddlers and teenagers at the same time. Not bad experience for such a young mom. At least I'm more prepared for when my 2 get that age! laugh.gif

This forum is going to be so much fun Susie...great idea! thumbs_up.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
talleyrand 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

Just a quick chiming in here. 29, married with a 3 year old boy who's mostly potty trained. He'd be fully trained if he'd just stop once in a while and figure out if he needs to go...

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
susieq76 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

I know all about that Talleyrand!! My daughter doesn't want to miss one bit of the action going on, so she says she doesn't know when she has to go untill it's almost too late!

It's so great to have you guys here!
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 30-Sep-2004, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #2
2,147,483,647 Gold!

Okay, call me slow, I just saw this forum. I'm not quite old as dirt, but remember when it was newer than it is now. rolleyes.gif I have two sons, one will be 28 in two weeks the other will be 25 in December. Shadows, whatever you missed, I probably got. As the saying goes, I've been shot at and missed and sh-t at and hit. (it happens when you change diapers) Anyway, they both seem relatively normal, so we didn't screw up too badly. biggrin.gif

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt