Tassiecelt 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 05:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

While the Irish kilts are traditionally plain, green or saffron, in recent times a number of tartans have been developed associated with counties.

You will find them here http://www.scotchcorner.com/tartan-index.html

The Irish National Tartan is a lovely one to wear, there are also "generic" tartans, one that you can wear without clan connections such as Black Watch (maybe not in the south of Ireland tho) or Stewart Hunting. I have both.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Annabelle 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 06:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Finally a great man with sound reasoning! Thank you Tassie! Steer the lad in the appropriate direction. If you have lots of money to throw away without thinkin do throw some in all of our directions lad!

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Wake Forest, NC

male

Well, I wasn't necessarily saying that I'm going to pick just a random color. I'm looking at reasonably priced kilts, which have a limited selection of tartans available. What I would do is first decide on a brand, and then choose my tartan based on the availability, and my personal color choice. For example...I've been looking at Sportkilts and now Stillwater Kilts. You can't really choose clan or national tartans with these kiltmakers...therefore you choose based on personal preference, or what they make. The Stillwater Economy Kilt comes in only one tartan...no choice. I have a preference for dark green, so in the Sportkilts, I've been looking at "Irish Clover".

For my first kilt, I'm not spending a lot of money, which limits the choices. If I find I really enjoy wearing the kilt after my first one, then I might look into getting a more expensive one that has an Irish and/or Wilson family tartan. But for now, funds limit the choices.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Annabelle 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 06:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Have you also tried : www.douglashouse.net for kilts

I got my last one there for a reasonable fee. Check it out.
PMEmail Poster               
Gordon 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Texas

male

QUOTE (Annabelle @ 18-Sep-2004, 06:10 PM)
Finally a great man with sound reasoning! Thank you Tassie! Steer the lad in the appropriate direction. If you have lots of money to throw away without thinkin do throw some in all of our directions lad!

***stands awaiting the 'penny pitching' ***

Thanks for the kind words on how I look in the kilt Tassie. Always good to get an opinion from others who know how it should look. The only thing I really hate is not being able to find a decent dirk. I'm looking at a military model with the fork and knife also included that I kind of like but, it seems to me, that it is more show than anything. Heck, good quality steel is hard to come by. I'm constantly polishing the sqian-dubh since the oils in my skin tarnish it so easily since it is, naturally, just a show piece.

I'm with everyone else when it comes to choosing a kilt. Take the time to research and order a few samples if the kiltmaker will allow it. I got mine through J. Higgins of Kansas and had various samples of the Munro tartan sent before I decided. Didn't want to choose one style and end up not liking the final product. It is a very expensive investment to be sure and as such deserves some time in the choosing stage. A kilt, with proper care, will last a long time.

Of course, I now am close to sending mine out for altering (dang weight gain) although I still have several holes in the strap in either direction. I'd just feel more comfortable knowing it's done since working in a gourmet kitchen does add a few pounds. laugh.gif

Gordon

--------------------
Lay you down in green meadows amongst the heather for it is there the music calls to your soul and beckons you home.
PMEmail Poster               
bubba 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Northeast Wisconsin

male

QUOTE (Tassiecelt @ 18-Sep-2004, 05:56 PM)
The Irish National Tartan is a lovely one to wear, there are also "generic" tartans, one that you can wear without clan connections such as Black Watch (maybe not in the south of Ireland tho) or Stewart Hunting. I have both.

Bear makes a nice green Irish kilt with Irish tricolor piping on the edge of the apron and a beautiful safron kilt. Howdy tass. wink.gif

--------------------
[SIZE=7]Curtesie is cumbersom to them that kens it not.
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Annabelle @ 18-Sep-2004, 07:28 PM)
Have you also tried : www.douglashouse.net for kilts

I got my last one there for a reasonable fee. Check it out.

Just checked them out. Still a bit pricey for my first kilt, I think. And again, limited tartans. They don't have the Irish National tartan, so how would I choose?
bubba 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHawthorn

male

I looked at the price of kilts and near had a heart attack. I got the pattern set from www.folkwear.com and instructions off the web. I make almost all my kilts and I've made 6 so far, 7 is in the works and I have some nice wool plaid that looks like tartan but I'm sure isn't a registered tartan, enough for 2 more. You can find some very nice fabrics on sale at fabric stores for 3 or 4 dollars a yard that work fine. Being poor shouldn't stop you from wearing a kilt.
PMEmail Poster               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 08:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

WElcome Bubba, how does it feel to be a "peasant" with 2 posts after being the second highest poster in Xmarks?? smile.gif
hahah!

There are a lot of good alternatives, (esp. in the USA) to top-notch scottish kilts, Bear, Stillwater, USA Kilts are among them.

I don't like to wear a 6-800 dollar kilt around the house, working, hiking etc. so these kilts are fantastic, while maybe not satisfying the 'purists'.

I'm into CASUAL wear,
cos I'm that kind lad smile.gif

I agree Bubba, Bear's Irish saffron looks lovely. I'l still lusting after the tartan that Mel Gibson wore, it's lovely and earthy.http://druidskiltsandcelts.com/Kilts/braveheart_kilts.html
bubba 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 08:58 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHawthorn

male

QUOTE (Tassiecelt @ 18-Sep-2004, 08:23 PM)
WElcome Bubba, how does it feel to be a "peasant" with 2 posts after being the second highest poster in Xmarks?? smile.gif
hahah!

Well Graham, no expectations or pressure to perform here. I agree there are lots of options in the US, but if you need to keep the cost low the best bet is still make your own from fabric on sale at the local fabric stores. I've noticed some mention of Sports kilts, but from what the guys over on X Marks have said, I wouldn't bother with one. Far too lightweight, poor hang and swing. USA kilts, Southern Celt , Bear, R Kilts and King Kilts are probably the better bets. King Kilts seems to be positioned best for us poor folk. They'll even make your kilt from your fabric and to your specs at a very good price. I sent them a chunk of that MacKinlay, buckles and straps and they charged me $54.25 to make the kilt to traditional pattern, shipping included. Meanwhile I'm planning on getting to that wool fabric I bought soon.
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (bubba @ 18-Sep-2004, 09:58 PM)
...and King Kilts are probably the better bets. King Kilts seems to be positioned best for us poor folk. They'll even make your kilt from your fabric and to your specs at a very good price.

Thanks for the info on King Kilts, bubba! I'm going to look into them a bit more. I know you mentioned about buying "tartan" at a fabric store, but does anyone know where you can buy traditional tartans?

By the way, Welcome bubba! Thanks for your reply also at Xmarks. smile.gif
bubba 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 09:32 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHawthorn

male

QUOTE (Avonlea22 @ 18-Sep-2004, 09:13 PM)
I know you mentioned about buying "tartan" at a fabric store, but does anyone know where you can buy traditional tartans?

This is a MacKinlay tartan http://www.bestfabric.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/.../SID=1305688559 . The picture is pretty bad, it really is a nice tartan in polyester/rayon blend so it's easy care. Traditional worsted wool tartans are very expensive, way out of my budget. Quite a few of those fabric store plaids are actual tartan patterns or so close only an expert could tell the differenceI found Black watch at $3 a yard in cotton and Gordon Dress in wool for $2 a yard. Registered worsted tartan can run $60 a yard and up and even poly viscose is $20 a yard or more. Black Watch is probably the easiest to find in fabric stores but just look around at the sale racks and tables. You'll find something you like. The one I just bought I'm just going to call MacBubba. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Iago 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 01:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Carlsbad, California

male

Welcome abouard bubba! Alwaysnice to se new faces.....well....you know what I mean. Can it be assumed that the less expensive kilts are made of a lower quality material? I am a strong believer in quality over price, but know in some instances higher price does not equal quality. Also, how are these cleaned? Would dry cleaning be the best alternative? Or maybe hand wash?

~Iago

--------------------
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 06:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Maybe I should start researching it. Dad, I know, would be interested in finding out of there's a tartan mapped with our name. He's found possible links to a clan, but not confirmed. I keep forgetting the name though. From Fife.... Can't say much yet...

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Mountain Legacy -- Born in the isles, raised in Appalachia
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (Iago @ 19-Sep-2004, 04:33 PM)
Can it be assumed that the less expensive kilts are made of a lower quality material? I am a strong believer in quality over price, but know in some instances higher price does not equal quality. Also, how are these cleaned? Would dry cleaning be the best alternative? Or maybe hand wash?

~Iago

Iago, I guess it comes down to what you want to do in a kilt and what you're prepared to pay.

A $200 kilt is not going to have the quaity of a $400 kilt.

I love quality Scottish wool kilts too but my priority is to to have good looking, inexpersive kilts that i can wear every day, not just special occasions like weddings.

I wouldn't wear a $400 kilt to work or go hiking .

I find the Poly Viscose kilts (I have three from USA Kilts) look good, feel good, wear well and they can even be machine washed!

You would have to look closely to tell them from wool, they suit me fine.
I do have a good quality kilt that I keep for best, and five other kilts for various purposes, with these kilts i can afford to have more options and choices.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt