Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

More from Moore...

June 17, 2004

Friends,

We're a week away from the nationwide opening of "Fahrenheit 9/11" and not a day goes by where we don't have some new battle to fight thanks to those who are still working overtime to keep people from seeing this film. What's their problem? Are they worried about something?

A Republican PR firm has formed a fake grassroots front group called "Move America Forward" to harass and intimidate theater owners into not showing "Fahrenheit 9/11." These are the same people who successfully badgered CBS into canceling the Reagan mini-series a few months ago. And they are spending a ton of money this week to threaten movie theaters who even think about showing our movie.

As of this morning, a little over 500 theaters have agreed to show the movie beginning next Friday, June 25. There are three national/regional theater chains who, as of today, have not booked the movie in their theaters. One theater owner in Illinois has reported receiving death threats.

The right wing usually wins these battles. Their basic belief system is built on censorship, repression, and keeping people ignorant. They want to limit or snuff out any debate or dissension. They also don't like pets and are mean to small children. Too many of them are named "Fred."

This new nut group is the Right's last hope in limiting how many people can see this movie. All of their other efforts have failed. Let's recap:

1. Roger Friedman at FOX News reported that the head of the company which first agreed to fund our film, got calls from Republican friends, pressuring them to back out. And they did. But... Miramax immediately picked up the film! Except...

2. Michael Eisner, the chairman of Disney, then blocked Miramax (a company owned by Disney) from releasing the film once it was finished. But... public attention and embarrassment forced Disney to let the Weinstein brothers of Miramax find another distributor! But...

3. Instead of a new distributor stepping right in -- as all the media predicted would happen -- it took another month to find distributors who would take on this movie. A number of other distributors, thanks to various pressures, were afraid to get involved. It looked for a while that we would be distributing this ourselves. But then Lions Gate and IFC Films rode in to the rescue!

So, we have beaten back all attempts to kill this movie, and the only thing in the way of you now seeing "Fahrenheit 9/11" is this Republican big-money front group trying to force theaters not to show the movie.

Please, contact your local theaters and let them know you want to see "Fahrenheit 9/11." Tell them that some people don't know that this is America and that we believe in freedom of speech and the importance of ALL voices being heard. (The members of MoveOn.org-an ACTUAL grassroots organization-have done a very cool thing. They are pledging to send a message to theater owners and are planning to attend a showing of the film on its opening weekend.)

I appreciate their efforts, but you don?t have to be a member of MoveOn to help stop this effort to keep "Fahrenheit 9/11" from making it to screens across the country. If a theater in your area is planning to show the film, just give them a call and thank them for standing up for the freedom of speech. If your local theater isn't showing the film, call them and let them know that you would like to see it and you'd like them to show it.

The White House and their minions in our media have presented one distorted version of the truth after another for the past four years. All we are asking for is the right to show what they HAVEN'T shown us, the real truth. The truth that ain't pretty (and is, sadly, damningly hilarious).

On top of all this, the MPAA gave the film an "R" rating. I want all teenagers to see this film. There is nothing in the film in terms of violence that we didn't see on TV every night at the dinner hour during the Vietnam War. Of course, that's the point, isn't it? The media have given the real footage from Iraq a "cleansing" -- made it look nice, easy to digest. Mario Cuomo has offered to be our lawyer in appealing this ruling by the MPAA. Frankly, I would like to think the MPAA is saying that the actions by the Bush administration are so abhorrent and revolting, we need to protect our children from seeing what they have done. In that case, the film should be rated NC-17!

However it turns out, I trust all of you teenagers out there will find your way into a theater to see this movie. If the government believes it is OK to send slightly older teenagers to their deaths in Iraq, I think at the very least you should be allowed to see what they are going to draft you for in a couple of years.

Finally, some very sophisticated individuals have been hacking into and shutting down our website. It is an hourly fight to keep it up. We are going to find out who is doing this and we are going to pursue a criminal prosecution. I'm preparing lots of cool stuff for the site so watch for new items on it next week http://www.fahrenheit911.com and http://www.michaelmoore.com.

Thanks again for your support and I hope to see you at the movies on opening night, June 25.

Yours,

Michael Moore

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 19-Jun-2004, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

As much as I dislike Michael Moore, I dislike censorship even more--now I may have to buy a ticket just to make a statement against the heavy-handed opponents of the movie who are too foolish to realize that Mr. Moore is so out of it that his movie is unlikely to be convincing to anyone who isn't already convinced.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 19-Jun-2004, 08:18 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

thumbs_up.gif I have already pre-purchased tickets for Friday AND Saturday.

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Shamalama 
Posted: 21-Jun-2004, 10:26 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Conyers, GA

male

I'm going to stay home and watch George C. Scott in "Patton".

--------------------

Clan Mac Cullaich:
- Brewed in Scotland
- Bottled in Ulster
- Uncorked in America

Common Folk Using Common Sense
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 21-Jun-2004, 05:02 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Shamalama @ 21-Jun-2004, 11:26 AM)
I'm going to stay home and watch George C. Scott in "Patton".

Good idea! We wouldn't want you exposed to "mind opening" experiences. wink.gif

I will watch it twice to cover for your absence, Brother S. biggrin.gif

Enjoy a wee dram while you watch Patton. beer_mug.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Shamalama 
Posted: 23-Jun-2004, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (maisky @ 21-Jun-2004, 07:02 PM)

We wouldn't want you exposed to "mind opening" experiences.

I had enough "mind opening" experiences in college. Dr. Timothy Leary was right - rainbows CAN flow out of your fingers. wacko.gif

The company distributing filmmaker Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" says it won't reject an offer of help from Middle East terrorist organization Hezbollah.

Terrorists affiliated with the Iran-backed network last week offered to help promote the film in the United Arab Emirates.

The movie industry publication Screen Daily reported, "In terms of marketing the film, [distributor] Front Row is getting a boost from organizations related to Hezbollah which have rung up from Lebanon to ask if there's anything they can do to support the film."

"Michael Moore dismisses Americans who are upset with his film and the impact it has in undermining support for the war against terrorism," said Melanie Morgan of the organization 'Move America Forward'. "At the same time, his distribution companies are concerned about offending the sensibilities of terrorists. That certainly gives rise to asking the question: Whose side are you on?"

Tina Brown reviewed the movie for the Washington Post, saaying, "In Moore's version of Iraq nobody was hanging from a meat hook in Saddam Hussein's jails. Baghdad was a happy city where children frolicked in the streets until boom! we blew them away."

So Fahrenheit 9/11 is getting distribution assistance from Hezbollah. Why doesn't that surprise me? That would certainly make me proud to be in attendance.

PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 23-Jun-2004, 08:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I just checked out Move America Forward's web site and found one big direct contradiction. Here's the text of the "About Us" page:

ABOUT MOVE AMERICA FORWARD

Move America Forward is a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization committed to supporting America?s efforts to defeat terrorism and supporting the brave men and women of the Armed Forces.

OUR BOARD OF DIRECTORS & STAFF

The Honorable Howard Kaloogian ? Chairman

The Honorable Howard Kaloogian served as a Republican Member of the California State Assembly from 1994-2000. Kaloogian was selected as Assistant Republican Leader, where he led the fight for smaller government and lower taxes.

Assemblyman Kaloogian went on to make history when he launched the Recall Gray Davis Committee (www.RecallGrayDavis.com), an effort which ousted Democrat Governor Gray Davis from office and resulted in the election of Arnold Schwarzenegger to the governor?s office. Davis was the first statewide elected official recalled in California?s history.

Considering Ronald Reagan to be one of his political heroes, Kaloogian agreed to lead the Defend Reagan Committee (www.DefendReagan.org). He led hundreds of thousands of Reagan supporters across America to fight against the smear campaign waged against Reagan by CBS, Viacom and Showtime with their anti-Reagan production, ?The Reagans.? So many Reagan supporters flooded the offices of CBS and their sponsors with complaints that the movie was cancelled on network television.

A champion of Proposition 13 and taxpayer hero, Kaloogian is a leading voice for fiscal responsibility, individual freedoms and conservative values.

Kaloogian has advanced the issues important to him and the people of California as a conservative radio talk show host, noted convention speaker and documentary host. He is a frequent lecturer on topics surrounding economics and the detrimental effects of over regulation and stifling levels of taxation.

Melanie Morgan ? Vice Chairman

Melanie Morgan has established herself as one of the leading conservative voices in the nation. Every morning Morgan shows off her intellect and wit as the co-host of San Francisco?s #1-rated drive time radio show ?The Lee Rodgers and Melanie Morgan Show? on KSFO 560 AM.

Morgan has attracted a huge fan base over the course of her career as a television and radio reporter and commentator. She excels as much more than an entertainer, seeing her true mission being to inform and motivate. Melanie has been a leader for countless crusades that have left lasting changes on the political landscape.

Melanie Morgan has been a leader in the ?Support the Troops? effort, speaking out against the anti-war and ?Bash America? crowd and she has rallied thousands upon thousands of Americans to support the War on Terrorism, the U.S. Military and the men and women of the armed forces.

It?s because of Melanie Morgan?s leadership, resolve and passion that California reversed itself and ended use of the carcinogenic MTBE (which had been added to California gasoline at the insistence of environmentalists). When President Clinton engaged in a series of criminal acts and then tried to use his Administration to cover it up, Morgan rose up and led thousands to the streets to demand Clinton?s impeachment.

Lew Uhler ? Vice Chairman

Lewis K. Uhler is founder and President of the National Tax Limitation Committee, one of the nation?s leading grass roots taxpayer lobbies. With offices in Sacramento and Washington, D.C., NTLC works with the White House, Members of Congress, and legislators in states across the nation along with other grass roots organizations to limit state and federal spending through legal restrictions and constitutional change. Uhler has been at the forefront of the national movements for a Tax Limitation/Balanced Budget Amendment to the United States Constitution and for term limits.

In 1968, then-Governor Ronald Reagan selected Uhler to serve on the California Law Revision Commission. In 1970, Reagan designated Uhler as the Governor?s State Director of the Office of Economic Opportunity. Subsequently, Uhler served in Reagan?s cabinet as Assistant Secretary of the Health & Welfare Agency. In 1972, Governor Reagan asked Uhler to organize and serve as Chairman of the Governor?s Tax Reduction Task Force. With the assistance of a nationwide panel of advisors (including Nobel Laureates Milton Friedman and James Buchanan), the task force developed California?s landmark Revenue Control and Limitation Act, which became a model for tax-expenditure limitation measures in many states.

In 1990, Uhler was co-author of Proposition 140, California?s pioneering state term limit initiative. Under Uhler?s leadership, NTLC has forged coalitions, including "Americans for Responsible Privatization," the "Council for Retirement Security" and more recently the "Tax Cut Working Group" in Washington, which Uhler chairs with Jim Martin (60 Plus Association) and Dan Mitchell (Heritage Foundation). In 1996, Uhler participated in a symposium at the Vatican on "The Family and the Economy in the Future of Society" to explore private alternatives to welfare states worldwide.

Uhler is a native Californian, a graduate of Yale University and the Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California at Berkeley. He is a member of the California Bar and serves Of Counsel with the Newport Beach law firm of Davis, Punelli & Keathley. He and his wife, Cynthia, have four grown sons and reside in the Sacramento area.

Siobhan Guiney ? Executive Director

Siobhan Guiney has joined Move America Forward as Executive Director. Ms. Guiney brings with her ten years of legislative experience. She has worked as a legislative advocate fighting for the people against liberal corruption. Ms. Guiney amassed a distinguished record as a legislative staffer inside the Capitol including service to the Speaker of the Assembly; two Republican Leaders; and as Chief of Staff to several members of the Legislature.

Prior to her distinguished public service, Ms. Guiney built an impressive record in the private sector. She played leadership roles in non-profit organizations and also demonstrated success as a prominent figure with several for-profit corporations.

She holds a Masters Degree in Rhetoric and a B.A. in Communications.

Sal Russo ? Chief Strategist

Mr. Russo has spent over 30 years in the field of political consulting and public affairs beginning as a special assistant to Governor Ronald Reagan after serving as a volunteer in his 1966 gubernatorial campaign. Mr. Russo later founded his own political consulting firm, ?California Capitol Consultants? in 1976.

Sal Russo has been at the forefront of some of the most prominent national, state and local campaigns in the nation including the election of Governor George Deukmejian (1982), Senator Alfonse D?Amato, New York (1992), Governor George Pataki, New York (1994), presidential bids by Jack Kemp and Senator Orrin Hatch.

Mr. Russo has been called on several times to provide consulting in other national elections, including the election of Violetta Chamorro in Nicaragua, and in 1991, Mr. Russo conducted the media campaign for the successful referendum on Ukranian independence.

Mr. Russo is a recognized expert in state and national politics, and his analyses are widely reported by the national media. Mr. Russo holds a B.A. in Government from California State University, Sacramento, and a J.D. from McGeorge School of Law. He has recently served on the Board of Directors of the International Association of Political Consultants.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
peckery 
Posted: 23-Jun-2004, 10:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

I like the fact that so many of us are critisizing it with out the benefit of even seeing it. How republican of you king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 24-Jun-2004, 07:14 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

Early showings "show" promise. biggrin.gif

News > Midsized Companies

'Fahrenheit' turns on box office heat

Michael Moore's anti-Bush film breaks the single-day records at the two New York theaters.
June 24, 2004: 6:46 AM EDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Director Michael Moore's controversial documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" turned on the box office heat in its first day in theaters breaking single-day records at the two New York City theaters where it played.

The movie, which aims a critical eye at President Bush and his prosecution of the war in Iraq, sold $49,000 worth of tickets at the Loew's Village 7 theater, beating the venue's single-day record of $43,435 held by 1997's "Men in Black," according to distributors Lions Gate Films and IFC Films.

At the Lincoln Plaza theater, "Fahrenheit 9/11" took in more than $30,000 to top the $24,013 set by "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in 2000.

PMEmail Poster               
Shamalama 
Posted: 24-Jun-2004, 09:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ 23-Jun-2004, 10:00 PM)

I just checked out Move America Forward's web site and found one big direct contradiction. Here's the text of the "About Us" page:

Oh certainly, Ms. Morgan is a conservative; that I shall not dispute.

The question is can you dispute that the company distributing "Fahrenheit 9/11" says it won't reject an offer of help from the Middle East terrorist organization Hezbollah?

Hezbollah and "Fahrenheit 9/11" - strange bedfellows. Or not so strange.

---

The Reverend Peckery makes an excellent statement: "I like the fact that so many of us are critisizing it with out the benefit of even seeing it. How republican of you." I especially liked the 'republican' part.

I haven't seen it. I won't see it (if it doesn't have Captain Kirk in it I usually don't bother, but that's another story tongue.gif ). Therefore I cannot review it.

So, in honor of "fair and balanced" I offer this:

(1.) Christopher Hitchens is a card-carrying liberal, and he freely admits to such.
(2.) Slate.com is widely accepted to be a liberal online magazine.
(3.) Christopher Hitchens wrote an article for Slate.com. We'll call this a Double Liberal article.

So what does he say? You read it for yourself at http://politics.slate.msn.com/id/2102723/ , but I'll give you some highlights:

"With Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11, however, an entirely new note has been struck. Here we glimpse a possible fusion between the turgid routines of MoveOn.org and the filmic standards, if not exactly the filmic skills, of Sergei Eisenstein or Leni Riefenstahl."

"To describe this film as dishonest and demagogic would almost be to promote those terms to the level of respectability. To describe this film as a piece of crap would be to run the risk of a discourse that would never again rise above the excremental. To describe it as an exercise in facile crowd-pleasing would be too obvious. Fahrenheit 9/11 is a sinister exercise in moral frivolity, crudely disguised as an exercise in seriousness. It is also a spectacle of abject political cowardice masking itself as a demonstration of "dissenting" bravery."

"He prefers leaden sarcasm to irony and, indeed, may not appreciate the distinction. In a long and paranoid (and tedious) section at the opening of the film, he makes heavy innuendoes about the flights that took members of the Bin Laden family out of the country after Sept. 11. I banged on about this myself at the time and wrote a Nation column drawing attention to the groveling Larry King interview with the insufferable Prince Bandar, which Moore excerpts. However, recent developments have not been kind to our Mike. In the interval between Moore's triumph at Cannes and the release of the film in the United States, the 9/11 commission has found nothing to complain of in the timing or arrangement of the flights. And Richard Clarke, Bush's former chief of counterterrorism, has come forward to say that he, and he alone, took the responsibility for authorizing those Saudi departures. This might not matter so much to the ethos of Fahrenheit 9/11, except that?as you might expect?Clarke is presented throughout as the brow-furrowed ethical hero of the entire post-9/11 moment."

"A film that bases itself on a big lie and a big misrepresentation can only sustain itself by a dizzying succession of smaller falsehoods, beefed up by wilder and (if possible) yet more-contradictory claims."

"In spite of the film's loaded bias against the work of the mind, you can grasp even while watching it that Michael Moore has just said, in so many words, the one thing that no reflective or informed person can possibly believe: that Saddam Hussein was no problem. No problem at all."

"Moore has announced that he won't even appear on TV shows where he might face hostile questioning. I notice from the New York Times of June 20 that he has pompously established a rapid response team, and a fact-checking staff, and some tough lawyers, to bulwark himself against attack. He'll sue, Moore says, if anyone insults him or his pet."

"I think we can agree that the film is so flat-out phony that "fact-checking" is beside the point. And as for the scary lawyers?get a life, or maybe see me in court. But I offer this, to Moore and to his rapid response rabble. Any time, Michael my boy. Let's redo Telluride [an onstage debate with Michael Moore]. Any show. Any place. Any platform. Let's see what you're made of."

"If Michael Moore had had his way, Slobodan Milosevic would still be the big man in a starved and tyrannical Serbia. Bosnia and Kosovo would have been cleansed and annexed. If Michael Moore had been listened to, Afghanistan would still be under Taliban rule, and Kuwait would have remained part of Iraq. And Iraq itself would still be the personal property of a psychopathic crime family, bargaining covertly with the slave state of North Korea for WMD. You might hope that a retrospective awareness of this kind would induce a little modesty. To the contrary, it is employed to pump air into one of the great sagging blimps of our sorry, mediocre, celeb-rotten culture. Rock the vote, indeed."
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 24-Jun-2004, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

I LOVE the way the "conservative" side has tried to stifle and censor the film......They have GUARANTEED that 10 times as many people will see it as if they had ignored it. biggrin.gif

Bush is going away, hah hah, ho ho, he he.... wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Posted: 24-Jun-2004, 06:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (maisky @ 24-Jun-2004, 04:55 PM)

Don't count on it. You need to remember that Bush supporters are supplying the computer hardware and software that will be "recording" and "counting" the votes.
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 24-Jun-2004, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas @ 24-Jun-2004, 07:12 PM)
Don't count on it. You need to remember that Bush supporters are supplying the computer hardware and software that will be "recording" and "counting" the votes.

Does that mean they are honest in their vote counting, like in everything else? rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Posted: 24-Jun-2004, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (maisky @ 24-Jun-2004, 07:42 PM)
Does that mean they are honest in their vote counting, like in everything else? rolleyes.gif

At least as honest as the case they presented to the UN. I do have some experience in the courtroom (albeit none recent), and Mr. Powell's demeanor, which strongly contrasted with his demeanor on prior occasions, suggested that he was extremely uncomfortable with the case he was presenting. Cheney gives at least the appearance of being a congenital liar. As to Bush, Wolfowitz, and Rumsfeld, they give every appearance of being sufficiently delusional to not know whether they are honest or not.
Just an opinion, YMMV.
PMEmail Poster               
peckery 
Posted: 25-Jun-2004, 08:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (maisky @ 24-Jun-2004, 04:55 PM)
I LOVE the way the "conservative" side has tried to stifle and censor the film......They have GUARANTEED that 10 times as many people will see it as if they had ignored it. biggrin.gif

Michael Moore is celebrating. He is on a ranch dressing and gravy binge.

Anytime you say don't see this, don't do that etc it has the opposite effect. People with children should knw that. The movie will be around a little while, but doesn't have the legs to stay in theatres that long. If 60% of people can't take 5 minutes to vote, how many do you think will spend 7.50 to see a political piece when Spiderdog XII is playing one door to the left. king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]