Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Horrors, Who are your favorite authors?
Bookmark and Share
Raven 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Who are your favorite horror authors.

Shelly of course is a classic and a fav of mine.

Stephen King next (aside from Misery) brilliant work (not that Misery is not brilliant - just to twisted even for me)

I also have enjoyed Poe and Lovecraft, straub, koontz, and Ann Rice.

Always open for suggestions if any of you know of any rising stars of the genre.

I really can't remember being scared reading a book for a long time. I remember reading "Salem's Lot" in 1979 while I was living with my sister in New Mexico staying up late when I got off of work to read it and being scared to death.

I don't remeber reading anything quite so terrifying since. I have read a lot of scary books since I just can not remeber getting so wrapped up in one since.

Have I just loss my sense of horror?

The very thought is horrifiying

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
Eamon 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 04:59 PM
Quote Post

Captain of the Prydwen
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

Good thread, Raven. I like King, but the last time I was REALLY scared was when I read my Moms copy of 'The Exorcist' when I was like 14 years old. Scared me half to death!

Anyone have any good recomendations out there?

Eamon

--------------------
"I care not whether I die tomorrow or next year, if only my deeds live after me." -Cuchullain

"Bíodh roinnt de sin agat!"
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Stephen King up to Needful Things. His work has fallen off since then.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
urian 
Posted: 02-Jun-2004, 07:47 PM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

Not a big King fan. I will agree , though, that after Needful Things his writing went down hill. Though, I was told Bag of Bones was good.

Stoker, of course.

Lovecraft as well. I have avoided reading any of his Chtulu Mythos for my own reasons but everything else is very well written. Too bad he died thinking he was a failure.

Poe. His visions were beautifully dark and majestic. Ahhhh. To write like him would be a gift.

clive barker's books: Hellbound Heart and Imajica and a few earlier works were great.

As far as recomendations.. I could offer my work. I've been compared to poe and lovecraft and stoker. I have had authors like Piers Anthony(who hates horror) rave about it. If you want to look over my attempts here's the link.

http://www.fic­tionpress.com/­~mlovelljr

Urian

--------------------
'Dying for being different is still better than living as a Sheep'-anon
PMEmail Poster               
Eamon 
Posted: 03-Jun-2004, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Captain of the Prydwen
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

Urian,

Read your story "The Letter." Chilling! Loved the twist, though it is not something I am going to be reading to my Niece and Nephew this Christmas! Great story, and I am going to check out the rest of the stuff you have posted on that site. Keep writing! I am hooked!

Eamon
PMEmail Poster               
urian 
Posted: 04-Jun-2004, 11:31 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (Eamon @ 03-Jun-2004, 10:07 AM)
Urian,

Read your story "The Letter." Chilling! Loved the twist, though it is not something I am going to be reading to my Niece and Nephew this Christmas! Great story, and I am going to check out the rest of the stuff you have posted on that site. Keep writing! I am hooked!

Eamon

Wow. My first fan..Thanks, Eamon.

I'll send you an autographed copy of my first book tongue.gif eek.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 07-Jun-2004, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

I tried to read your story Urien and I kept giving me an error message
urian 
Posted: 07-Jun-2004, 08:27 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (Raven @ 07-Jun-2004, 07:50 PM)
I tried to read your story Urien and I kept giving me an error message

Thanks, Raven.
Yeah. I just clicked the link and it popped it up with dashes in a few spots...hmmm. OK. let me try something.

www.fictionpress.com/~mlovelljr
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 07-Jun-2004, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

No Problem Uri

It was from the link that you posted^^^^^ up there somewhere biggrin.gif
urian 
Posted: 07-Jun-2004, 08:36 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

OH! D'oh! A little slow on the uptake tonight...oy.

ok..Copy and paste this and see if it works...I got an error on the link as well.

www.fictionpress.com/~mlovelljr
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 07-Jun-2004, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

Hey Uri

I pasted the link and it worked I read your story the letter. Very nice, good twist.

But I'm not scared unsure.gif Just teasing biggrin.gif I plan to go back and read some more of your stuff. It seems that CR.N has a number of gifted writers in it's midst. Keep on with it, the first step to realizing any dream is to take that first step, great job.

That is a cool sight. I have been writing most of my life as well and have ambition to be published at some point I just kind of lack focus at this point for writing a novel. (I work a full time job, play 100+ musical shows a year, have a second part time job, trying to put together my current bands 4th and 5th CDs etc.... )

Enough with the excuses tongue.gif I have thought of trying to find an outlet for short stories just to keep the lyrical content of my songwriting fresh.

In the meantime,,,,,I still would like to find writing that would truly terrify me unsure.gif or at least a good haunted house rolleyes.gif

Slain

Mikel
freekenny 
Posted: 22-Jul-2004, 03:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

Favorite Horror Story Author(s)..I don't read much horror but, hands down I would have to say Stephen King...I met him while living in Maine. Despite everyone saying that he isn't 'weird' and is just a 'normal' guy... unsure.gif to put it plain and simple, he really is 'weird' and anything but 'normal' biggrin.gif He really is a nice guy! I am kinda just giving him a 'hard' time in a fun way~~ I do believe he is a magnificent author and some of my all time favorite stories are; 'Misery', 'Delores Claiborn' and 'Salem's Lot'...
I enjoy reading Poe...and well, in my opinion, Shakespeare could be considered an author of horror eek.gif Ann Rice is another good one~~Again, I don't read much horror but these are my favorites when I do indulge nerd.gif
Sty-U~~

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
ImmortalAvalon 
Posted: 22-Jul-2004, 06:38 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAlder

Realm: North Carolina

female

Horror, huh? Well, let's see, I like Anne Rice, and not just her vampires, though her witches gross me out. However, to me, Poe is still the King of Horror. The Tell-Tale Heart remains one of the creepiest things I have ever read.

Another horror writer (or historical horror, as it were) I like, but few others have ever heard of, is Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. In her St. Germain Chronicles, you follow the immortal, undead hero, Ragozcy, Count St. Germain, through various times and places. For example, the first book in the series takes place in France not all that long before the Revolution, the second book in the Florence of Laurenzo de Medici (il Magnifico) and Savanarola, and the third takes place in first century Rome, beginning in the reign of Nero and ending in Vespasian, with the Epilogue coming from the time of Trajan, I think.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt