Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

2 lb sugar
1 tin Nestles condensed milk
1/2 tin ordinary milk or cream
4 oz butter or marg

Melt the butter in a LARGE saucepan, add the rest and bring it all to the boil, stirring CONSTANTLY (it burns VERY easily), and stand over it as it simmers, continuing to stir constantly, and cook until it's a nice golden brown. Lighter means softer, darker means firmer, like toffee. About 10 to 20 min, I think.

Pour it into a foil-lined tray to cool, but DO NOT scrape the pan - the stuff clinging to the pan has cooked at a different rate, and will have a different texture. ** Remember it's VERY hot - hotter than boiling. **

However, waste-not, want-not .... scrape what's left in the pan onto a spare piece of foil to cool. It'll be edible, but not as even as the main tray.

As it cools, crinkley pale lines will form on it. Leave it for several hours to set. It can then be either broken up or cut up. Scoring lines on it while it's warm will make it easier to cut or break when it's cool.
PMEmail Poster               
aklassie 
Posted: 17-May-2002, 02:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Texas

female

Sounds yummy.  I'll have to try this.

--------------------
"They That Wait Upon The LORD,
Shall Renew Their Strength,
They Shall Mount Up With Wings
As Eagels,
They Shall Run,
And Not Be Werry;
They Shall Walk,
And Not Faint." ISAIAH 40:31
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 17-May-2002, 05:54 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

I know that stuff! it is indeed "yummy"!!! :)

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

This is a popular 'sweetie' or candy in Scotland. The nearest thing to compare it with is English style fudge - although Tablet is infinitely more delicious :D

This is my family recipe which has been made by generations of us!

Use a heavy based saucepan.

2 lb of sugar - granulated and cane sugar, not beet, or it won't set!
2 tablespoons of golden syrup (Lyles)
Tin of sweetened, condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 oz butter
3 oz water
Vanilla essence to taste (about 3-4 drops)

Put the butter, sugar, water and syrup in a pan and melt them together. Add the condensed milk and vanilla. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Keep at a slow, rolling boil for about 20- 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Take off the heat and beat vigorously. Pour into a well-greased, shallow tray. Allow to cool and then mark into squares. Chill in the fridge (best overnight). ENJOY

I know that Golden syrup is available in the States at British import shops...  

Tablet is softer and more 'grainy' than fudge.
PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Gulf Coast of Florida

female

Sounds yummy! I am going to try the recipe out, and if it turns out well, I think I will give it away for Christmas gifts! Thanks Cousin Catriona!

--------------------
RPG Anne O'Calahan
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 10:26 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Another Scottish sweet or candy is called butterscotch - they look so nice to give as gifts.... I'll find my recipe tonight and try to remember to post it here.

In fact, I've copied it from another site where I have posted many traditional scottish recipes  :D

BUTTERSCOTCH
1 lb granulated sugar
quarter pint hot water
quarter teaspoon cream of tartar
3 oz UNSALTED butter
quarter tsp of vanilla essence.

Put sugar and water into large heavy based pan. Dissolve sugar and add cream of tartar. Bring to boil (240 degrees F). Remove pan from heat and add the butter in small pieces. Return to heat and continue to boil to 280 degrees F.

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla essence. Put mixture into well oiled shallow tin (11" x 7" is the size I use). When it is almost cold mark it into squares (or if you want to pretend it's the same as the shop-bought stuff, rectangles!;). When cold, break into the squares/rectangles and wrap in metallic gift paper

I have used British measurements - I think the US pint is slightly more than the Imperial pint....  check before attempting the recipe - I wouldn't want anyone to have a disaster!
PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

female

Nae probs, Catriona! Most recipes require a bit of "adjusting" due differences in kitchens, such as altitudes, humidity, and atmospheric temperatures. I usually will make one batch of a recipe exactly as stated, and if it doesn't turn out just right, I know to adjust the recipe accordingly. If a little too much water is added, all one needs to do is allow the mixture to cook a bit longer to boil some of the water out. Most of our USA measuring cups also have metric measurements on the opposite side of the container, so perhaps if you were to use standard metric measurements, we could thus determine the more accurate measures.

I LUV to cook!
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 06:21 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

This is where I tell you that I am a cordon bleu cook..... I have done LOADS of courses, in France, Italy, England and Scotland....!

I HATE metric - I always say 'I don't do European'...! :(

One of my favourite chefs is a Scot called Nick Nairn.... I've been on a couple of his cookery courses and LOVED them. :D
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I like Emeril! Bam! Bam! Bam! With a little of Essence of Emeril.

The recipes that have been posted sound really good.

Catriona, a good fudge shouldn't be grainy. If it is, too much sugar has been used. If it is chocolate fudge, it should taste sinfully delicious! :rolleyes

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
Catriona 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

That's what I'm trying to tell you.... Tablet is NOT fudge and it should be grainy and soft.....

We're Scots, not English fudge makers!  :D
PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 07:53 PM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

female

Well, I am an old fashioned "country cook" from Kentucky, Catriona.  I learned how to cook with a handful of this and a smidgen of that, and a pinch of salt - no measurements at all - just work up the ingredients by the way it looks and feels. Taste it every now and again to make sure the spices are right, and so forth. I have never had a formal cooking lesson in my life, but have won several blue ribbons at the local county fairs for some of my recipes.

My favorite fudge recipe is the one printed on the back of the Hershey's cocoa box!

BTW, when I read the recipe for Tablet, I think it sounds a bit more like it will taste like "Divinity" candy rather than fudge. I can't wait until I have some time to myself to get into the kitchen and try this recipe out - like I said it sounds YUMMY!  ::eatarrow
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 23-Nov-2002, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

That's more or less the way I learned to cook.  I have always cooked - learning from my Mum and my two Grannies.  Father's mother was a highlander...  her scones and tattie scones were just the greatest treats when we were kids.

However, when I grew up, at one time a friend decided to open a catering business - cooking for people in their own homes...  and I realised that homely cooking was not enough.  Some complicated dishes have sauces which have precisely measured ingredients so that they taste right at the end!   I attended a cordon bleu cookery course and loved it and took it from there...    I have to admit though, that if my husband asks what a dish is called - for example we had Chicken Marengo for dinner a couple of nights ago - he always says 'that's funny, it tastes nothing like the chicken marengo we had a week or so ago'....  :) - I do what you do - add a bit more of that, and a bit more of this - and if I don't have an ingredient, just leave it out.....   but it's always called Chicken Marengo  ;)

I love France and Italy for the food!  I envy Welsh Guy, living in Paris.
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 23-Nov-2002, 08:59 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Quote (Catriona @ Nov. 22 2002,7:07)
That's what I'm trying to tell you.... Tablet is NOT fudge and it should be grainy and soft.....

We're Scots, not English fudge makers! :D

Neither am I, I am an American fudge maker... Although I do have some Brits in me. :D

Top of the morning to ya!

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
free2Bme 
Posted: 23-Nov-2002, 09:26 AM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

female

I learned to make fudge from my Grandmother, who cooked it in a cast iron dutch oven on top of the stove.  It had to be stirred constantly, so once everything was measured into the cooking pot, my grandmother would let me pull a chair up to the stove to stand on so I could stir the fudge.

I learned early on that there is no such thing as "bad fudge" - it tastes just as good soft and eaten from a spoon as it does when it is rock hard and has to be sucked on! Of course it always tastes *best* when it is something in between those two extremes!
PMEmail Poster               
Cabbagehome 
  Posted: 26-Nov-2002, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Viking Queen of the Fair Isles

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Howell, Michigan USA

::viking Wow I just love making candys. Nobody complains about me making those as that isn't what they wanted.  I'm going to try these two.
::hehe I was never the fudge maker. When I was a kid, FUDGE was made with the recipe from the Carnation Evaporated Milk Can. My brother was the one that made it the best.  NOW my favorite recipe is the one that uses a can of condenced milk and a 12oz bag of simi sweet choclate chips. I win the blue ribbon at fair with it so I'm sticking with it.  My kids used the cream cheese, powder sugar, mint recipe for their fair candy,  back in the 80's.
:rolleyes  I like making yeast breads too.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt