Posted: 11-Jun-2004, 10:14 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Lemon Balm, Lemon Thyme, etc. planted around also help!

Let us all know if it works for you please.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
stevenpd 
Posted: 23-Jun-2004, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

An American Guardian of the Realm
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

Dreamer1,

How goes the battle?

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2013 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Kamchak 
Posted: 23-Jun-2004, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Master At Arms
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Southern U.S.

male

Just looking at the posts I must be the only one located in the Southern part of the US and dealing with Fire Ants on a daily bases! Diazinon is the weapon of choice or the newer version. enviromentally safe, pet safe, etc.... We get it at Home Depot, dose the yard heavily and do not disturb the ant piles. They will go away. We have to do this at least once per month. I keep trying to send some Fire Ants up North so we can share the little pests, but they do not like the cold weather....LOL!

--------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ![SIZE=7][COLOR=green][CENTER]
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 26-Jun-2004, 10:36 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Hi everyone! I know this update's long overdue, and I'm sorry.

Let's see--I started off with the corn meal, sprinkling it all around the ant hills. They didn't seem to like it, once they came to investigate it. None of them wanted to cross the circles I'd made! I decided that was fine, as long as they wanted to stay in their hills and starve. Unfortunately, I found (about a week later) they'd only moved the colony a short distance away. Okay, so Step Two: Baker's Yeast and sugar solution. Our dog thought I'd left treats all around the place for her! I caught her licking it up, and that was the end of that. rolleyes.gif Shadows, my Mother-in-Law suggested something similar to your idea of planting Lemon-scented plants everywhere. She said to pour lemon juice straight into their hills. I tried that, and it seemed to have worked. There wasn't any activity for a couple of days, but unfortunately I found new tunnels a few feet away again, so they've just moved a bit. I think the next thing to do is to find some Mint Oil (Victor sells it in cans) and just saturate their areas with it. Should kill a good portion of them, and convince the rest to leave the area altogether! (At least, that's my hope.) I know that ants don't like Pennyroyal, but I've also heard that it can become toxic to pets ( the sensitivity builds up). Has anyone else heard that? I've been considering planting that in the lawn areas that have been denuded by the ants, as a more permanent deterrent to their return, but of course I don't want to hurt our dog.

Well, that's where I am so far. I'll let you all know how the Mint Oil does with them, as soon as I'm able to try it. I've been successful with Victor's Poison-Free spray against bees, flies, wasps,spiders,and earwigs before, so I have high hopes it'll do the job on Ant Hills too. I'll just have to be very accurate and saturate the ground with it.

I nearly forgot! I came across a reference in a book of Old Wives Tales about garden lore that may be useful. It said that if you crush the flower of a Lupin, and smear the remains all around the base of trees, the ants will leave those trees alone and will not climb them. It's recommended for the protection of Fruit Trees. Does anyone grow Lupins, and will you try it? I'm curious!

Again, thanks everyone!! Will continue to let you know how the battle goes. laugh.gif

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Arianrhod 
Posted: 29-Jun-2004, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Lady of Starlight and Petal

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

female

Hi Dreamer1..

I grow lupines.. I would be happy to send you a few of the flowers..

Pennyroyal .. I would be careful with.. I don't even handle that herb
with out gloves on..

I'd go with lemon balm first...
it is hale and hearty ! and if you need some plants,
I'd be more than happy to share..
its sort of bossy and takes over, like mint..
Looks sort of the same too, but the fragrance is wonderful..
and the leaves make a nice compliment to iced tea..
I like to freeze them in icecubes..

I hope they are giving your family some peace !
GOOD LUCK !

In Service to the Dream,
Paula

--------------------
Proud member of Clan Mac Roni , CEO of The KDC

The curve is mightier than the sword ...

"He's twitching, because ,
mah axe is embedded in
his nervious system " !
LOTR
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 29-Jun-2004, 09:00 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

Thanks Paula!

I didn't realize that Pennyroyal is that strong. I'll be careful where I put it. I do have Lemon Balm already, and I agree with you-it's wonderful! I only have a small patch right now, but will get more planted asap. The Lupines are on my wish list, so maybe this will help improve my chances of getting some. tongue.gif

I have noticed that some of the ants seem to have moved elsewhere, because there's been no activity in those spots for about a week now. I'm watching them. We still have some really stubborn groups, and they're getting all my attention right now. It's just a matter of time, with all the great advise you all are giving me!

Thanks again!
Dreamer1
Shadows 
Posted: 29-Jun-2004, 10:35 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Pennyroyal is only toxic in massive doses such as the essential oils from it. I have it growing in my yard for many years and have had no adverse effects to my pets, in fact I make a tea of it and rinse the dogs after a bath to help keep fleas and ticks away. I have used it yearly on my one dog and she is 14 years old and still kicking. I handle it almost daily while weeding and I still an here.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
SCShamrock 
Posted: 30-Jun-2004, 04:19 AM
Quote Post

Confirmed Daydreamer
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

I will predict that none of the non-poisonous methods will work. Sorry, not trying to be negative, but I too live in the South, and ants are at war with us here about 10 months out of the year. Some of the methods such as the Lemon type will serve only to cause them to migrate. Disturbing the mounds often causes undesired result as the ants most often will increase the size of a mound during their "home repairs". There is only one sure way to be rid of an ant mound and it's occupants permanently. That is to kill the queen. If the queen dies so do the rest. Strange but true. So look for a poison that is of a bait variety. The queen dwells deep within the mound and is guarded by the colony. So the bait must be delivered to her. The bait type poisons usually take about 4 days to work. Small price to pay to get the use of your yard back while bare-footed.

--------------------
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
~Mark Twain
PMEmail Poster               
Kamchak 
Posted: 04-Jul-2004, 09:01 PM
Quote Post

Master At Arms
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

If you want the ants gone do not play with them! We fight them every day down here in the South! Diazinon is the weapon! smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
coastman 
Posted: 06-Jul-2004, 09:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Coastal Georgia

male

I live in coastal Georgia and so do the fire ants. I use Ortho Fire Ant Bait. It kills the queen. I have a 20 acre yard. So I patrol the property once a week if I can. When I see a hint of a fire ant mound I use the Ortho. My place is fire ant free. Ortho also works on harvester ants, too.
PMEmail Poster               
Kamchak 
Posted: 06-Jul-2004, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Master At Arms
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Agrees with Coastman......
PMEmail Poster               
Arianrhod 
Posted: 06-Jul-2004, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

Lady of Starlight and Petal

ZodiacVine

Realm: Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

female

Shadows,,
As allways your wisdom is so very appriecated ..
and your willingness to share is so gracious ...
I thank you so very much for this !

But Pennyroyal really should be given a bit of respect,
by us Women...
I treat all herbs with a bit of respect..
as since I do not have an MD ...
I do not disense Medical Advice ...

One never knows , if someone is on Meds daily..
and how handeling ANY herb will affect that person ..
Pennyroyal has properties, which I will not say on a public
form.. that can affect women at various stages of life..
Treat it , and any other Medicinal Herb with respect !

In Service to the Dream,
Paula
PMEmail Poster               
SCShamrock 
Posted: 07-Jul-2004, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Confirmed Daydreamer
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

QUOTE (Camchak @ 04-Jul-2004, 09:01 PM)
If you want the ants gone do not play with them! We fight them every day down here in the South! Diazinon is the weapon! smile.gif

Diazinon has been banned by the EPA. All retailer stocks of the stuff were to be sold from the stores to the general public by April, 2004 (I think). There is of course a replacement, but believe me when I tell you, it's no Diazinon. The Ortho Ant Bait is very good, but here in the South, fire ants seem to be learning and adapting as quickly as we come up with new extermination methods. Good luck to you!!!!
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
  Posted: 08-Jul-2004, 07:39 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd let you know how the "war" goes so far....

I got really frustrated with one of the most stubborn colonies--they wanted to take over that section of the garden! nono.gif I retaliated by grabbing a can of Victor Wasp and Bee spray (the foaming variety) and aimed that nozzle right down the main hole. nuke.gif Drained half the can before the foam began seeping up through their emergency exits all around the area. I waited a minute to let it all soak in, then drained the rest of the can. Yes, I know it was vicious of me, but I've tried to be nice then downright gave them notice and they refused to pay attention!! That was about three days ago, and there's been no more activity in that area of my garden! I'm going out to replenish my supply of Victor's! tank.gif robot.gif

(I know that the Bait varieties are also successful usually, but our dog thinks they're invaders on her turf and pulls them up, then chews them for good measure. That's why I'm going this route instead.)

Thanks again everyone! I'm continuing the war, will send regular reports in as often as possible. **Reporting from the Northern Front....**

Dreamer1 thumbup.gif
stevenpd 
Posted: 09-Jul-2004, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

An American Guardian of the Realm
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!

GIVE NO QUARTER!

tomcat.gif tomcat.gif tomcat.gif
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt