Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Black Thumb Annonymous, anyone else kill plants?
Bookmark and Share
freekenny 
Posted: 22-Jul-2004, 12:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 21-Jul-2004, 04:41 PM)
Hey Freekenny! I killed three cactus plants in the last month! How's that for black thumbs? sad.gif

O'siyo CelticRose,
LOL..I thought I was the only one that has ever 'killed' a cactus..and was almost ashamed to admit it...glad I have a fellow 'cactus killer' around me~~ gunsmilie.gif
What are we doing wrong? sad.gif Oh well...
Sty-U~~

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 22-Jul-2004, 10:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

QUOTE (freekenny @ 22-Jul-2004, 12:36 AM)
O'siyo CelticRose,
LOL..I thought I was the only one that has ever 'killed' a cactus..and was almost ashamed to admit it...glad I have a fellow 'cactus killer' around me~~ gunsmilie.gif
What are we doing wrong? sad.gif Oh well...
Sty-U~~

Haven't been able to figure that out yet, freekenney! But I do a grand job of killing those cacti I tell ya! I either over-water or don't water enough. I just don't have the gift! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
freekenny 
Posted: 23-Jul-2004, 01:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

female

QUOTE (BluegrassLady @ 22-Jul-2004, 12:06 AM)
Hi, my name is Janet and I also kill plants. smile.gif

The only plant that I have any luck(?) with is the trumpet vine. I started it a few years ago with a twig bought thru a mailorder company. My husband laughed at me buying a "dead" twig. Ha! The last laugh is on him. That dumb trumpet vine is taking over my house!!! If we aren't constantly trimming it, it is over the roof, covers our windows and smothers anything else that is trying to survive. You CAN'T kill it, it just keeps popping up. So....beware the dreaded trumpet vine!!! ohmy.gif

O'siyo Janet,
So since this trumpet vine tends to cover anything in its path, it would be good to use to help conceal a privacy fence? Would it grow well with say, Morning Glory vines and Carolina Jasmine or would it smother it out? I didn't know if you had any luck with it growing on a fence you may have biggrin.gif
Sty-U~~ red_bandana.gif
PMEmail Poster               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 23-Jul-2004, 01:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

[QUOTE=freekenny,23-Jul-2004, 02:10 AM][QU[/QUOTE]
O'siyo Janet,
So since this trumpet vine tends to cover anything in its path, it would be good to use to help conceal a privacy fence? Would it grow well with say, Morning Glory vines and Carolina Jasmine or would it smother it out? I didn't know if you had any luck with it growing on a fence you may have biggrin.gif
Sty-U~~ red_bandana.gif[/QUOTE]
Well, freekenny, in answer to your question regarding a fence, I would say that it would cover up a fence nicely. It would also cover up your Morning Glory vines, your Carolina Jasmine, your car if you don't move it every couple of days....you can get the picture. rolleyes.gif

Seriously, it is a very sturdy vine that has beautiful orange trumpet shaped flowers on it. It attracts hummingbirds. The foliage is glossy. It grows extremely fast. It just doesn't respect anything in its path! biggrin.gif

In the winter in colder climates, it looses its leaves and will look dead. Don't believe it!! Come spring and it jumps back very enthusiastically. If you are really brave, you can pull a piece by the roots and it will transplant easily. tongue.gif

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 23-Jul-2004, 01:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

That sounds very much like the cutzoo we got in Georgia when I lived there for 14 years. Not sure if I spelled it right, but it orginally came from Vietnam and somebody brought it to Georgia and I swear it has taken over the the whole state! You see it everywhere!
freekenny 
Posted: 23-Jul-2004, 03:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

female

QUOTE (BluegrassLady @ 23-Jul-2004, 01:31 AM)
Well, freekenny, in answer to your question regarding a fence, I would say that it would cover up a fence nicely. It would also cover up your Morning Glory vines, your Carolina Jasmine, your car if you don't move it every couple of days....you can get the picture. rolleyes.gif

Seriously, it is a very sturdy vine that has beautiful orange trumpet shaped flowers on it. It attracts hummingbirds. The foliage is glossy. It grows extremely fast. It just doesn't respect anything in its path! biggrin.gif

In the winter in colder climates, it looses its leaves and will look dead. Don't believe it!! Come spring and it jumps back very enthusiastically. If you are really brave, you can pull a piece by the roots and it will transplant easily. tongue.gif

O'siyo Janet,
happy.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif lol.gif Whew, I haven't stopped laughing..guess I will have to find a new place to park my truck once this trumpet vine is planted!
Well, wish me luck because I am going to plant it around my privacy fence so, if I am not heard from for a bit, well, I guess you will know that I am out in my yard trapped in the Trumpet Vine unsure.gif
~~ Sty-U red_bandana.gif
PMEmail Poster               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 23-Jul-2004, 10:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

[QUOTE=freekenny,23-Jul-2004, 04:31 AM] [/QUOTE]
O'siyo Janet,
happy.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif lol.gif Whew, I haven't stopped laughing..guess I will have to find a new place to park my truck once this trumpet vine is planted!
Well, wish me luck because I am going to plant it around my privacy fence so, if I am not heard from for a bit, well, I guess you will know that I am out in my yard trapped in the Trumpet Vine unsure.gif
~~ Sty-U red_bandana.gif[/QUOTE]

Just a suggestion, freekenny, you might want to leave a note somewhere that will be noticed, so if you come up missing, they will know where to begin the search!!! unsure.gif Always good to have backup handy!!! tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
freekenny 
Posted: 23-Jul-2004, 06:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

female

O'siyo,
lamo.gif ..*posting note on fridge as to where to find me* deep, deep in the Trumpet Vine compliments of Janet and her suggestion rolleyes.gif And to think, I only wanted something that would 'conceal' a privacy fence and provide some pretty foliage and flowers lol.gif
~~ Sty-U red_bandana.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 23-Jul-2004, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rėgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

Someone mentioned Cudzu and I remembered this poem:
From "Uncle Handsome's Redneck Poetry" "The Road Less Graveled"

"Cudzu at Christmas Time" by Uncle Handsome

We made a Christmas wreath out of cudzu vines
And we hung it on the outhouse door
And the kinfolk carried on about it so
That we made a whole bunch more

We put one on the shed and one on the barn
And three on the front porch screen
Then we strung cudzu around the satellite dish
Biggest wreath I'd ever seen

We put wreaths around our huntin' dog's neck
And we hung 'em o'er the doghouse doors
We even hung some on the sides of the fridges
Settin' out on the front porch

There was a time when I hated cudzu
I used to curse them cudzu vines
But now nothin' I know makes a place look better
Than cudzu at Christmastime

(This is also my Christmas in July post, MacE smile.gif )

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
freekenny 
Posted: 24-Jul-2004, 02:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

female

O'siyo,
Whew!!~ lol.gif laugh.gif Very cute!~
~~Sty-U red_bandana.gif
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 24-Jul-2004, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks MacE! That was cute! I remember living and visiting GA that that stuff was all over the place! The poor beautiful trees! sad.gif
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 24-Jul-2004, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (freekenny @ 23-Jul-2004, 07:15 PM)
O'siyo,
  lamo.gif ..*posting note on fridge as to where to find me* deep, deep in the Trumpet Vine compliments of Janet and her suggestion  rolleyes.gif And to think, I only wanted something that would 'conceal' a privacy fence and provide some pretty foliage and flowers lol.gif
~~ Sty-U red_bandana.gif

I can just see the headlines: 'Gardener found after missing for 3 weeks Suspicious story of being held hostage by hostile vine possibly named Janet...possible link to recent alien activity? lol.gif
PMEmail Poster               
freekenny 
Posted: 24-Jul-2004, 11:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

female

O'siyo Janet,
Oh my! lol.gif I can barely type from laughing so hard~~ You are so cute! And you really know how to brighten someones eve with such wonderful laughter!~ Ni Ya We O'ginalli! (thank you friend)~
~Held hostage by a hostile vine named Janet~~ tongue.gif *wiping tears from eyes from laughing sooooo hard*
Have a blessed and peaceful eve!~
~~Sty-U red_bandana.gif
PMEmail Poster               
freekenny 
Posted: 24-Jul-2004, 11:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 21-Jul-2004, 04:41 PM)
Hey Freekenny! I killed three cactus plants in the last month! How's that for black thumbs? sad.gif

O'siyo CelticRose,
Well I may have good news biggrin.gif While out in my gardens today I noticed the one cacti that I have refused to throw away is looking much better~ The yellow spots that were on it are getting lighter (less visible)..it's not as 'mushy' and the thorns on it are no longer falling off..matter of fact it has gotten a few new ones rolleyes.gif So, not going to 'jump the gun' just yet but, I may have a survivor from my 'black thumb' lol.gif Only thing I can figure is I was watering it too much? unsure.gif
~~Sty-U red_bandana.gif
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 25-Jul-2004, 04:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

O'siyo Freekenney!

I don't know if your cacti are indoor or outdoor or how big or small they are, but I was told you are only supposed to water them once a month. Small indoor only a tablespoonful. If that tells you anything. Glad you got one coming back to life! wink.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
Š2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics Š2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt