Bookmark and Share
Catriona 
Posted: 10-Mar-2004, 06:41 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

1lb of lean beef (cubed) I use braising steak or chuck or blade
1 tablespoon of cooking oil (I use sunflower)
1 large onion, peeled, halved and sliced thinly
2 cloves of garlic (crushed) - this is optional if you don't like garlic!
6 oz mushrooms (I prefer large field mushrooms, but buttons ones will do) Cut into thick slices or in half if using button mushrooms
3/4 pt robust red wine
1 beef stock cube (OR you could use one tablespoon of gravy granules - in which case do not use the flour - the sauce will be thickened by the gravy granules)
1 tablespoon of flour (to thicken the sauce)
1-2 tablespoons of redcurrant jelly

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3/325F

Heat the oil in a frying pan and then brown the beef cubes for 3-4 minutes until browned. Do not crowd the frying pan or the meat will 'steam' rather than caramelise.

Add the onion slices the garlic and the mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
IF using the stock cube/flour combination, then add the flour to the mix and cook for a further minute or so.

Pour in the wine, crumble in the stock cube OR the 1 tablespoon gravy granules (if using that option rather than the flour/stock cube), together with the redcurrant jelly. Heat this for 3-5 minutes until the sauce is thickened, then transfer to an ovenproof pie dish.

Pastry
10 oz Self Raising flour
Pinch salt
5 oz shredded suet
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, cut small
6 fl oz very cold water

Sift flour into a bowl with the pinch of salt and add the shredded suet and the rosemary. Add enough water to bind (it may take all the 6 fl oz - or less, so add a little at a time).

Roll out on a floured surface until big enough to cover the pie dish. Place on top of the meat. Cover with aluminium foil and place in the oven for about 2 hours. Remove the foil for the last 15-20 minutes of cooking time to brown the pastry.

Serve with seasonal winter vegetables
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt