Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Decorating Delima, Re doing on a budget !
Bookmark and Share
Elspeth 
Posted: 09-Aug-2004, 02:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

Thanks bluegrasslady!

I love pewter too. Silver is just too shiny. cool.gif You may not see it well, but on the shelf in the diningroom picture I have a pair of candle sticks, a cream and sugar set and salt and pepper shakers.

I'd love to see pictures of what you have. And of the rooms you redid.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 09-Aug-2004, 06:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

Elspeth,I would be happy to post a picture of the rooms I did, but, I can never remember how to add pictures. sad.gif Not one of my strong suits! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 09-Aug-2004, 09:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

When you post a new message, there is a place lower for file attachments. If you click on Browse you can then pull up files loaded on your computer.

Post for us? Please!!!! Id love to see your rooms and I so love pewter.
Arianrhod 
Posted: 09-Aug-2004, 09:15 PM
Quote Post

Lady of Starlight and Petal

ZodiacVine

Realm: Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

female

Elspeth..
Your room looks fantastic, what a warm and wonderful colour ..
The border sets it off to perfection .. *claps*
Well worth the wait !
I have a real thing for Hoosier Cabnets..
and yours is a charmer ..
Pretty glass on top too ..
Thank you so much for sharing !

BluegrassLady..
I am so glad you are enjoying this Thread..
I started to get into pewter for a few reasons..
My Dad allways gave my Mom some pewter for presents..
and Milkglass as well.. and I have a passion for them both..
and love how they look together..
I do a good bit of Living History in the SCA..
and pewter makes for great feast ware ..
Ebay and Flea markets are where I find most of mine..
I have a good running start on Wilton Artmetal too wink.gif
Thanks for the kind words about my dining room ..

To echo Elspeth.. please post your pics as well
I too love to see what people do in their homes..
Its inspiring ! and fun ..
I am having a bit of posting problems myself..
There are some Fall Craft Projects Id like to post..

Thank you both !
Great stuff Elspeth..
I hope you and your Family spend many .
Happy, loving times in that lovley room !

In Service to the Dream,
Paula

--------------------
Proud member of Clan Mac Roni , CEO of The KDC

The curve is mightier than the sword ...

"He's twitching, because ,
mah axe is embedded in
his nervious system " !
LOTR
PMEmail Poster               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 10-Aug-2004, 08:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Well, I am going to try to post a picture....again! rolleyes.gif I have been working on it for the last hour. Soooo frustrating! sad.gif

I bought the table with leaf, 6 chairs, a buffet and a china cabinet together at an estate auction for $50.00 a few years ago. It had been "antiqued" white. Yuck! At the time I was just looking for chairs and my hubby thought I'd made a mistake til I told him the price. He refinished the tabletop-it was mahogany and we painted the rest of it black. The chairs we painted black and I reupholster the seats whenever I feel like a change. The buffet is still in its purchased shape, waiting to be redone, but my husband completely stripped the china cabinet. We "loaned" it to our daughter to use as an entertainment center since we weren't going to use it. She just got another one so we will be getting it back. Not sure if I am going to put it in the dining room or not.
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 10-Aug-2004, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Awesome! That sounds so cool. I'm not sure I really know what Mahogony looks like.

I got a cedar chest at an antique store many, many years ago. It was pretty cheap because it is so HUGE. But I loke it. And having limited space, it comes in quite handy for storage. I'll have to post a picture.

I couldn't post pictures either until I signed up for memebership. I don't know if my pictures were too big or what. Ask Paul.
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 10-Aug-2004, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Well, as you can see, NO picture. I am a member so that must not be the problem. I worked on it for over an hour this morning. I got so frustrated that I went back out on the 450 mile sale (Huge yard sales for 450 miles. Runs for 10 days!!. Mmmmmm.....my kind of sale! biggrin.gif ) Will try again another day.

Mahogany is a rich fairly dark reddish brown wood. Not usually my first choice but I was pleased to discover it under that awful white antiqued paint.

PMEmail Poster               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 19-Aug-2004, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Hubby and I are starting a new project. We have been working on our walkout basement for several years, doing one project at a time. We now have a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, gameroom (Air hockey, soccer and etc.) and family room complete with a fireplace. The only thing left is the ceiling. Could not decide what to do with it. My hubby does not want a suspended ceiling, and it wasn't possible to drywall it due to something about the 2X6s in the ceiling (I can't remember what rolleyes.gif ). We have put up paneling (something we saw on TV), but didn't like how it turned out. Anyway, we finally came up with a plan, tongue.gif

We bought several bolts of treated canvas (used for pop up travel trailers) and we are going to cut the canvas to fit in between the hardwood rafters. Then we are going to use my hubbys air gun (or stapler, whichever works better) and staple the canvas tight between each rafter. That way the rafters are still visible but all the wiring and stuff will be hid. Then if we have to get to the wiring and stuff we can just take down the section of canvas that is hiding it. Sounds like a great plan to me. Hope its done by Christmas biggrin.gif

I'll let you know how it comes along. I haven't forgotten about the picture of the dining room.....I just gave up on trying to send it. Hopefully, by the time the ceiling in done, I will have figured it out.
wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Aug-2004, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

That sounds like a WONDERFUL idea! My husband gets so frustrated by all the schmeg falling in his desk from the basement ceilling. This would solve the problem wonderfully. Is there any problem with having fabric so close to the wiring?
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 19-Aug-2004, 11:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

I don't bellieve so. I checked with my hubby (the expert... tongue.gif ) and he said that as long as the wiring is done correctly, that there should not be a problem. I take that to mean that as long as the wire is not frayed all should be fine. biggrin.gif

I do remember seeing this done on a home show quite awhile ago, along with fabric on the walls. I had forgotten about it. Looked great. At first I was going to use a lightweight fabric and gather it between the rafters but when we found the canvas it seemed like it would hold up better, especially since it is treated (with waterproofing).
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 20-Aug-2004, 05:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Are you going to sponge paint it or anything or just use the natural color?

I check out our basement after reading what you're gonna do. Unfortunately, he have too much hanging doen below the rafters to make it real practicle.

When you get done, you must post pictures!! Even if you have to e-mail them to me and I'll post them for you. laugh.gif

Still want to see your pewter. I have a cream and sugar set that I got from my grandma's basement that I'm not sure if it is silver or pewter. It looks like pewter, but has the seal on the bottom of a silver co. If it's silver, it's the most muted (not tarnished) silver I've ever seen. I'm gonna take a picture and post it. Eventually.
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 21-Aug-2004, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Mmmm...I hadn't thought of sponge painting it. It came in hunter green. I think I will wait and see how it looks, then decide. Thanks for the suggestion. biggrin.gif

I will keep trying to attach pictures. Don't be surprised if a dining room pic turns up in the post regarding something else. tongue.gif If all else fails, I may take you up on the e-mail idea. smile.gif

I'm not sure if your cream and sugar could be pewter if it is stamped from a silver co. Maybe you could go online and see if the silver co has a web site. If so, you might beable to find out some more info. Maybe some silver companies make pewter too.

Too bad that the fabric idea won't work for your basement. We'll have to come up with something else! rolleyes.gif

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
PMEmail Poster               
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 11-Nov-2004, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

Great Ideas....thanks everyone!
~Adam~ lol.gif

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt