Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Scripture Vs Tradition
Bookmark and Share
andylucy 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 12:20 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

QUOTE (RobertH @ Mar 11 2004, 10:59 PM)
All these comments and nothing directed at us good old Southern Baptists?

Having come from that denomination, originally, I do know more about the SB brand of theology than other Protestant denominations. But I don't "usually" talk about other churches, I just discuss and/or defend what my Church teaches in relation to what they teach. biggrin.gif

Welcome aboard!

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
andylucy 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 12:23 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Having come from that denomination, originally, I do know more about the SB brand of theology than other Protestant denominations. But I don't "usually" talk about other churches, I just discuss and/or defend what my Church teaches in relation to what they teach. biggrin.gif

Uh,psssst. A Glenfiddich bottle? A Southern Baptist? Tsk. Tsk. laugh.gif

Welcome aboard!

Andy
PMEmail Poster               
RobertH 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 12:25 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Washington

male

What can I say? We are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God...!
PMEmail Poster               
andylucy 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 12:32 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (RobertH @ Mar 11 2004, 11:25 PM)
What can I say? We are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God...!

What more can one say to that than....Amen!

Andy
PMEmail Poster               
RobertH 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 12:46 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacVine

male

Here's to a temperance supper,
With water in glasses tall,
And coffee and tea to end with
And me not there at all!
angel_not.gif beer_mug.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 06:26 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Southern Baptist to High Church Catholic? That's a story I want to hear.

And the Holy Spirit is emphatically real. As real as the love of your best friend.

Ah, I like 'head' knowledge and a good debate. But when it comes to religion, it's all academic. It has to be felt.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Raven 
Posted: 12-Mar-2004, 12:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Mar 12 2004, 06:26 AM)
Southern Baptist to High Church Catholic? That's a story I want to hear.

And the Holy Spirit is emphatically real. As real as the love of your best friend.

Ah, I like 'head' knowledge and a good debate. But when it comes to religion, it's all academic. It has to be felt.

That is indeed a geographical oddity tongue.gif now I see why Andy Lucy is such a peculiar creature wink.gif

I have to say that the head knowledge went a long way towards activating my heart in this relationship with Christ biggrin.gif

Peace

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
RobertH 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 12:11 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacVine

male

Oops...didn't mean to mislead. I'm still a Baptist at heart - I just stole a Catholic and walked her down the aisle 23 years ago. Even converted her...shame on me!
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 09:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

I stole and converted a Catholic too. Shame on me as well. wink.gif
But I didn't get him to convert to my "Dunkard' religion, had to go middle of the road Presbyterian. That adult baptism thing was too much for him. Baby sprinkling is more his style.

And Mike, I know head knowledge activates many. I just have to back off from it myself at times, because I can get caught up in the complex 'academics' and miss the power of the simple message.
RobertH 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacVine

male

I have to plead ignorance re: Dunkards. Can you give me a quick outline?
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 13-Mar-2004, 07:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Dunkerds - Church of the Brethren. A Germanic Anabaptist denomination, cousins to the Mennonites. Begun in the 1500's after Luther's protests began the Reformation. The community moved to America by the early 1700's most settling in Pennsylvania, but then spread from there. It began as an agrairarian (sp?) community and still has strongholds in the rural areas.

Since they believe in adult immersion baptism they were coined Dunk - erds. smile.gif
RobertH 
Posted: 15-Mar-2004, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacVine

male

Thanks, Elspeth. The more I learn, the more I learn that I have much to learn. The German side of my family didn't make it to the US until the 1960's, so I guess we missed that emigration.
PMEmail Poster               
SCShamrock 
Posted: 30-May-2004, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

Confirmed Daydreamer
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

Ok, I want to contribute, but I don't want to get into an acedemic discussion since I feel we'll never be sure bout the accuracy of much of the early translations of scripture. That in mind, here's my two cents;

I've read posts here that indicate some disagreement with what constitutes right living in the sight of God. It appears that some believe (you know who you are) that pomp and circumstance, i.e. traditional, ceremonial acts, are essential to your faith. That to me is a direct contradiction of the word "faith". I've read in the scriptures that "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Nowhere have I read that faith is gained by your actions, recitation of pre-determined prayer, or other forms of ceremonialism (is that a word?)

Also, to followers of Christ. In my bibles it states that there is only one Church, and one Mediator between God and Man, Jesus Christ. I do not put this in quotation marks since I'm not sure of the exact wording, but do have the idea intact.

Semantics seems to be playing too large a role in religion. If we are truly united by God through Jesus Christ, then why can't that be enough? This is precisely why I don't go to churches any more. I have enough trouble putting my faith in Him to deliver me from all sorts of evil without puttin myself in the throws of others that act as though Jesus isn't enough.

--------------------
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
~Mark Twain
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 10:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Shamrock

I agree semantics comes in to play an aweful lot in the way that scripture is interpreted.

Your non quoute is a little off wink.gif For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus 1Tim2:5

The word church is interpreted by many to mean an organized church/religion/denomination/etc or the building that you meet in on the first day of the week. But I interpret that word from scripture (which literally means called out) to be the body of believers in Jesus Christ as Lord.

I for one apreciate your 2 cents (keep that money coming it adds up tongue.gif )

Peace

Mikel
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
SCShamrock 
Posted: 03-Jun-2004, 12:59 AM
Quote Post

Confirmed Daydreamer
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

QUOTE (Raven @ 01-Jun-2004, 10:48 PM)

I for one apreciate your 2 cents (keep that money coming it adds up tongue.gif )

Thanks a bunch for the compliment. And I adamently agree that the correct interpretation for the "Church" should be the body of believers. Yet today, even from the pulpit, there seems to be a lot of bad interpretation for this and many other "select" scriptures. Chief among those is "judge not lest ye be judged". I read somewhere that "a text without a context is a pretext for a prooftext". I wish I had come up with that one. Anyway, it appears to me that there is an overwhelming number of people that love to use bible verses, sentences, to support an entire doctrinal issue. I have absolutely no tolerance for this.

Oh forget it! I'm just rambling on now, with nowhere to go with my thoughts. Really I just wanted to thank you for the words, and for not kicking my butt for getting that one verse off a bit. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt