DesertRose 
Posted: 01-Feb-2004, 11:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

I am a big fan of Shakespeare! But love anything from the period of 1600s and beyond. Who are your faves and why?

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Catriona 
Posted: 02-Feb-2004, 05:38 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Jane Austen - because she writes so well, and her stories are good.

Thackeray - I've read Vanity Fair at least once a year since I was 14 and had it as a 'set' book for the summer holidays.

Shakespeare Particularly Hamlet and MacBeth. Can't count how many times I've gone to see just those two - never mind other plays. I love his Sonnets, too.

Robert Burns - poetry and songs. His imagery is just so great. Some of his songs are so bawdy, but very funny.

Anthony Trollope - particularly his Barsetshire novels and the Pallisers series. His ?grand-daughter, Joanna Trollope is a modern UK writer - but I don't really like her style.

And loads more.....!

Authors I just cannot get 'into' despite knowing they are 'literature' are (amongst others):

Charles Dickens
Sir Walter Scott
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 02-Feb-2004, 05:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

I absolutely love Shakespeare -
I like a lot of Robert Burns -
I love some Germans like Theodor Fontane and Thomas Mann
and as a French writer Albert Camus...

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
DesertRose 
Posted: 02-Feb-2004, 06:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

I have read some of Robert Burns and what I have read I absolutely love! Must get more!

I love Christina Rossetti too! She was a poet from the Pre-Raphaelite era and also posed as a model for many of the Pre-Raphaelite artists!
Cailiosa 
Posted: 02-Feb-2004, 03:40 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

Try as I might, I just cannot get into Shakespeare, especially all the tragedies one is made to read in high school. Thank goodness I am not an English major or else I would have to take an entire class on the works of Shakespeare. unsure.gif

Jane Austen, however, I enjoy quite a bit. Her work is just plain fun to read. I won't go near the typical chick-flicks, but for a girly movie, Pride and Prejudice isn't too bad (and there aren't too many 5 hour long movies I will willingly sit through over and over again tongue.gif ). But while we are on the subject of books, there is a lady by the name of Pamela Aidan who is writing a trilogy based on Darcy's side of the story which is actually quite good -- I highly recommend it.

--------------------
"For man He suffered and He died:
If man will take His word as guide
And leave all infamy,
Then we shall come to happiness
And blisses more than we can guess in Jesu's company."

Check out my journal
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

QUOTE (Cailiosa @ Feb 2 2004, 03:40 PM)
Try as I might, I just cannot get into Shakespeare, especially all the tragedies one is made to read in high school. Thank goodness I am not an English major or else I would have to take an entire class on the works of Shakespeare. unsure.gif

You know what?? Shakespeare is much better seen than read - I bet you'd like some of the movies that have been made in the last few years of his plays. Hamlet has been done quite nicely by several good actors, and what's the one with Emma Thompson & Kenneth Brannagh & Denzel Washington, and I think Keanu is in it too... 'Much Ado About Nothing'??

sad.gif
Darn it - I'm having one of those senior moments again...

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 03:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Pursuing happiness at 'The Shire' in western Georgia where hummingbirds buzz & horses graze

female

My favorite author that I never read now is Thomas Wolfe... his 'Look Homeward Angel' sent me into a depression, I swear! It broke my heart, especially when I found out so much of it was based on his own life; but it is one of the most beautifully written portrayals of Southern life you'll find. Reading LHA in college made me realize I wasn't destined to be a writer; I don't have the courage to delve that deep...
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               View My Space Profile.
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 06:21 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

Weeell I have to give you right blues, shakespeare is definitly better on stage than just read.. but I didn't have much possibility to see the plays staged so far so I have to resort to my imaginary theatre up in my head (I read pretty much at speaking speed so it works quite well wink.gif )

I absolutely adore Kafka and Poe and I like Goethes Classical Period.
Albert Camus is another of my favourites but I also like (even though it's not much literary) Rousseau. And the author (forgot his name) who wrote "The two lives of Veronika".

ummh.. I read alot of literary authors so far and a few made it on my list of good ones. I liked some of Jane Austens books as well, others not as much..

Oh and I liked Ivanhoe by Scott but I never got to read the others...

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
celtica 
Posted: 07-Feb-2004, 09:01 AM
Quote Post

Lady of the mists
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Brest - Brittany

female

My favorite theater author is Shakespeare too, specially his historical plays. And, thanks to the films of Kenneth Branagh (who is my favorite actor), I converted some friends of mine.
I love Dostoïevski too, specially "Crime and Punishment".
Louis Broomfield for "La mousson" (sorry, I don't know how to translate it).
Jean Anouilh for all his plays and particularely "Becket "
Choderlos de Laclos for "The dangerous bindings", probably the only book I can read again and again with the same pleasure.
As a modern author I love Armistead Maupin, I think I have read all his books, well the ones we can find in France...

--------------------
Que restera-t-il de notre sang mêlé au sel, sans trace dans les mémoires ? Une ultime navigation, trompeuse. Et des souvenirs, illuminés d'embruns. Mais condamnés au silence de la mer... Loïc Finaz.
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Elspeth 
Posted: 07-Feb-2004, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

My all time favorite is Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol

It is wonderful and it is terrible that it has been made into so many movies, cartoons and been the theme for a million sit-coms. The story is timeless, but because so many know the story, they never bother to read the book. And the book is wonderful. Literature that I aspire to.

The magnificent imagery! Like when he describes the pile of Christmas goodies the Ghost of Christmas Present is sitting upon. Is there any better description of Christmas opulence? I love as well his little side comments - like right off the bat when he talks about the use of dead as a doornail and why it should be coffin nail.

And though written in 'old English' it is still easily read today. The little details that I think - now where did he come up with that - but they are the details that take the work to a level all his own. Like, for example, the rag that bound together the jaws of Jacob Marley and the horror inflicted upon the reader when he untied it and his jaw fell to his breast. It wasn't particularly gruesome, especially by today?s standards, it was just something simple that shouldn?t be and that is what created the horror.

And the characters he created. I wonder what continent you?d have to travel to to find a place where no one had ever heard of Ebenezer Scrooge or Tiny Tim.

But within this wonderful tale, is a simple and timeless message. That, to me, is the point of literature. To be just as relevant hundreds of years later as it was the day it was written.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 08-Apr-2004, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

My favorite literary works/authors of all time are:

Shakespeare--- MacBeth and Hamlet are two of my favorite plays. As a youth I fell in love with Shakespeare's sonnets.

Bronte (All the Sister's novels)---my favorite out of them all is "Jane Eyre."

Austin---She is another one of my favorite authors.

Mark Twain---His works are timeless.

Edgar Allen Poe---Especially his short stories.

John Donne---I really enjoy his poetry, especially the one entitled, "The Sun Rising."

Emily Dickinson---Her poetry has such vivid imagery and symbolism.

Thomas Wolfe---I haven't read much, but really enjoyed his feature stories and a few short stories.

Charles Dickens---I like his literary works, but I'd rather watch his work on the screen than read it.

Authors/literary works I could never get into:

John Milton
Thomas Hardy--Everytime I read one of his novels I get such a headache. sad.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
slamedbear 
Posted: 18-Apr-2004, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Calif  usa

I like a wide variety of the printed word. Yet if I had to nail it down to one I`d
have to say Stephen King "The Stand" unabridged version is My Fav. Then shortly
after that would be J.R.R.Tolken. They would be the most reread books that I own.
Ican pick up one of these an open it to any place an fall right back into the story, just like I`d started it at the begining.

thumbs_up.gif "CHEERS TO ALL" beer_mug.gif

the act of reading a book good or bad expands your mind.
the bad ones just take longer
an the good ones are over too soon.
PMEmail Poster               
Lyra Luminara 
Posted: 21-Jun-2004, 09:32 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacVine

Realm: Éire (okay fine, it's really PA, USA but that's just boring.)

female

I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of mine yet....

W.B. Yeats!!

--------------------
If we could just stand here, without the words, would that be enough? ..Look at the sky now. What color is it? Or the way a hawk flies. Or you wake up and your ribs are bruised thinking so hard on somebody. What do you call that?

"Don't cross the street if you can't get out of the kitchen"
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
dfilpus 
Posted: 22-Jun-2004, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Vainamoinen
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

To add a few more,

Herman Melville Moby Dick

Chaucer The Canterbury Tales

Sir Thomas Malory La Morte D'Arthur

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 22-Jun-2004, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

TOLKIEN - Obvious reasons!

LOUIS L'AMOUR - captivating westerns

J.K. RAWLING - I can read her books over and over again and love them every time!!!

usaflag.gif

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt