MacAibhistin 
Posted: 06-Oct-2004, 12:29 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

Da Vinci code is a great read, but Brown's "facts" aren't completely accurate. He does give the general public a pretty good introduction to the early goddess beliefs and their overthrow by patriarchial belief systems. However, his history of the early gospel accounts is not reliable - at least not when compared to the "conventional wisdom" of historians.

Furthermore, when you read Brown's other novels, it becomes pretty obvious that this guy has some intense passions against the Cathloic church specifically (and I 'd say Christianity in general). So, I don't know that he's someone to take your history lessons from - he's simply too biased and not really a historian. However, as a novelist, he's great.

Rory
PMEmail Poster               
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 06-Oct-2004, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

Hello Rory and thanks for your in put. To clear up what might be a future misunderstanding, I didn't say that he has all his facts straight but he is a MILDER Read for "New" people seeking the truth. It is easier for some people to accept the watered down version but for the most part he is correct and I have books upon books and am doing my own research that says he is on the right path.

As far as current Historians go 90% of them are so blinded by what they have been Taught by circular man that if an apple spoke to them they would die from fright. In This Thread you have to be willing to open your mind and see other possibilities.

We are coming out of the Age of Lies and darkness in to the age of truth and light. as time goes on the great lie will be shown for what it is.

It is refershing to have some one else to speak to openly about these kinds of things. Please understand that I in no way mean for this to be an attack on any one or their beliefs, this is simply me stating my beliefs and I have been known to be wrong and I will admit when I am wrong.
If your looking for some one who is sympathetic to the Christians or the catholic church then you are in the wrong thread my friend, try the christian thread. I do not have ill feelings toward them but I do not see what good they have done for the human race as a whole.
Now This is a PAGAN BOOK Thread I will end this discussion here before we start getting in to a religious debate, if you are looking for that then go to the Religion thread , it can be found under special interests.

I look forward to our continued conversation.

angel.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Sėmeag 
Posted: 03-Mar-2009, 05:18 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Sassan

female

"Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft" by Ronald Hutton ~ a history of witchcraft and modern Wicca, which helps newcomers sort the wheat from the chaff. A great guide if you are trying to figure out which authors/books you should be readnig. Not an easy read, but very worthwhile.

"The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles: Their Nature and Legacy" by Ronald Hutton. Another essential read to give an idea of the truth behind some of the assertions of modern authors.

"Stations of the Sun: A History of the Ritual Year in Britain" by Ronald Hutton. Once again, great for discovery just which rituals are ... ahem ... ancient. rolleyes.gif

"Irish Witchcraft from an Irish Witch" by Lora O'Brien ~ written by a Wicca, who has since sought her roots in Irish traditions. Worthwhile read for anyone interested in Irish traditions.

"The Keys of Knowledge - Ogham, Coelbren and the Pagan Celtic Religion" by Kevin Jones. Essential reading for anyone interested in following a celtic tradition.

"Creative Visualization" by Shakti Gawain and/or "The Art and Practice of Creative Visualization" by Ophiel. Both great books providing exercises to develop the essential skill of visualisaiton, which is needed to work magic.

"The Art and Practice of Astral Projection" by Ophiel. Again, essential exercises designed to develop skills.

"The Art of Conversation with the Genius Loci" by Barry Patterson. A very basic introduction and guide to communicating with spirits of place. Easy to read.

"Natural Magic" by Doreen Valiente. Written from a Wicca perspective, but still a good introduction to the use of natural magic.

"13 Moons" by Fiona Walker-Craven. One of the best books on non-Wicca witchcraft religion in the British Isles. Sadly, now OOP.

"Liber Noctis" by G. St.M. Nottingham. A good introduction to the basics of working magic.

Then, there are those works you have to read if you want to follow a celtic pagan path.

"The Ancient Celts" by Barry Cunliffe
"[I]Book of the Cailleach: Stories of the Wise Woman Healer
" by Gearoid O Crualaoich
"The Celtic World" by Miranda Green
"Early Irish Myths and Sagas"
"Gods of the Celts" by Miranda Green
"Lebor Gabala Erenn: Book of the Taking of Ireland"
"The Mabinogion" by Sioned Davies or the Gwyn Thomas or Will Parker translations
"The Making of a Druid: Hidden Teachings from the Colloquy of Two Sages" by Christian J. Guyonvarc'h
"The Otherworld Voyage in Early Irish Literature" by Jonathan Wooding
"The Sacred Isle" by Dáithí O hOgain
"The Tain" Seamus Heaney or Thomas Kinsella translations
"Tales of the Elders of Ireland" by Ann Dooley
"The Voyage of Bran" translated by Kuno Myer
"Trioedd Ynys Prydein: The Triads of the Island of Britain" by Rachel Bromwich

--------------------
Tha mi'n dochas gu bheil an eadar theangachadh ceart!
PMEmail Poster               
seamusmaccorcrain 
Posted: 30-Mar-2009, 07:32 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Barony of Bergental, East Kingdom, SCA

male

Now that's a list !

Thank you for this post, there's a few there that I haven't read yet and even a couple that I hadn't know about at all.

First time I've read thru this "corner" of CR and glad I did smile.gif

Always nice to know there are pagans and folks with open minds in so many different places,

Blessings to all of you,

Lord Seamus of Medieval Kingdom here at CR
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
Š2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics Š2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt